Search

Boundry Waters Area - Northern MN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2001, 9:55 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Boundry Waters Area - Northern MN

I have been making a trip at least every other year to the Boundry Waters (BW) in Northern Minnesota since I was 10 years old. I am never disappointed even if the weather does not cooperate.

Almost all of the lakes in the BW prohibit motors on boats or Personal Watercraft. The real joy is taking a partner, your gear and setting off in your canoe. There are no homes or resorts on almost all the lakes in the BW. A true getaway from civilization.

The lakes are all connected by hiking trails called portages. Most portages are 1/3 to 1/2 mile in length, which is not a long hike, but remember, you are now carrying your canoe and gear as well.

There are some truely unique campsites, some on the top of bluffs or on your own islands.
Campsites are first come, first serve.

If you go early in the year or IMO the best time is after Labor Day. Summer can be busy on the lakes which are closer to jumping off points into the BW.

During the Fall, most every night we are treated to a show of the Norther Lights. No conversation is needed, just your small campfire and the wonders of the night sky.
The Milky Way is actually visible as a dense cluster of stars. Every night the call of the loons will put you to sleep.

Wildlife is present, Moose, Bear, Beaver, Deer, Eagles, Wolves, etc. You will have to make sure your foodsack is strung up in a tree. Your outfitter will show you how to do this.

Hopefully you will catch some fish along the way. I usually catch Northern Pike, Walleye and my favorite Small Mouth Bass. Fish this fresh you will never get tired of. We have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I have been out for trips of 12 days, but normally I take a 4 or 5 day trip including a weekend. You are working hard portaging/canoeing but the work is worth it when you have a lake to yourself as well as your thoughts. Time does not matter.

I personally prefer putting in at the Sawbill Lake Location near Tofte, MN. I like Sawbill Outfitters attention to detail and the staff is very friendly. Their website is http://www.sawbill.com/ The website also includes other very good links describing the BW area.

You will also need a permit to enter the BW. While permits in the off-season (Spring and Fall) are usually easy to come by, make sure you put in early for your permit during the summer months.

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 08-26-2001).]
Old Aug 26, 2001, 7:13 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for that. We do a fair amount of kayaking and canoeing and would like to sometime make it to Boundary Waters. Your post is helpful.
Old Apr 15, 2002, 6:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

My wife and I have been mulling a trip for a while. Can we bring our dogs? A labrador and German Shepard... hardy, strong outdoors girls. Are they allowed/welcome?
Old Apr 16, 2002, 8:19 pm

Did you ever meet Knife Lake Dorothy? I did when I was about 12, in 1984. We sure loved her root beer. It was sad to hear that she died. We always used CLiff Wold's outfitters.
Old May 18, 2002, 8:39 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SpuddBrother:
Did you ever meet Knife Lake Dorothy?</font>
No I did not, but my roomate from college has the book "the root beer lady" which detailed her life. He had brought it along on one of our trips. Our group jokingly asked him to read us to sleep. It worked! I was sound asleep pronto.

Takes a special kind of lady to live alone like that in that area, consider yourself lucky.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:29 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I have been making a trip at least every other year to the Boundry Waters (BW) in Northern Minnesota since I was 10 years old. I am never disappointed even if the weather does not cooperate.

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 08-26-2001).]
Reviving an old post to ask about bugs in August. Lived in the midwest most of my life, so am no stranger to mosquitoes, but have also been in San Francisco for 22+ years and have gotten blissfully spoiled living and being outdoors in an area with few critters, flying or otherwise. Got a calling to canoe the Boundary Waters this summer on a trip to the midwest in early August for a reunion, but have recently started tuning into how miserable we might be with mosquitoes. Did a similar trip in canoes many years ago in Maine and do not remember much of this. Any advice? Should we go in Sept? If we go in early August will we be miserable? Would a week later help? [Planning to start out of Ely on Aug 1-7 with the current plan....]
Old Jan 9, 2008, 4:33 am

Programs: DL, Starwood, SWA, United. RIP NWA.
Originally Posted by mstraveler
If we go in early August will we be miserable? Would a week later help? [Planning to start out of Ely on Aug 1-7 with the current plan....]
It's really tough to predict because weather plays a huge role in what's biting when. Personally, I just assume I'll get eaten alive Part of the price you pay for all that beauty.

September is probably a better bet bugwise, but there are no guarantees. I'd stock up on DEET and go whenever.

(Public service announcement: Bear with the mosquitos, but take the ticks VERY seriously. I ran into a bad one up there in '98 and still feel some effects - no joke. This from a person who is not inclined to worry about a bug bite here or there.)
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:44 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
My favorite way to see the wilderness.

Unfortunately, I've never dipped a paddle in the BWCA.

For a slight change, try canoeing out of Atikokan, Ontario.
If you REALLY want to head north, Bissett, Manitoba.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mstraveler
Any advice? Should we go in Sept? If we go in early August will we be miserable? Would a week later help? [Planning to start out of Ely on Aug 1-7 with the current plan....]
I would always choose Sept over Aug and not just because of the skeeters, the "rug rats" are not around either.

That being said, I've done plenty of trips in the summer and never would say I was eaten alive. If possible always try to choose a campsite that gets wind as that helps quite a bit.

Funny you bumped the thread, my college roommate and I were just discussing our Sept trip.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
It's an amazing area, and I would highly recommend a week long canoe trip. That said in summer there a lot of bugs so be prepared. They can bite right through your sweatshirt and leave your back bloody. Ask me how I know. Also watch out for ticks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.