FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boundry Waters Area - Northern MN
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2001, 9:55 am
Sweet Willie
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Boundry Waters Area - Northern MN

I have been making a trip at least every other year to the Boundry Waters (BW) in Northern Minnesota since I was 10 years old. I am never disappointed even if the weather does not cooperate.

Almost all of the lakes in the BW prohibit motors on boats or Personal Watercraft. The real joy is taking a partner, your gear and setting off in your canoe. There are no homes or resorts on almost all the lakes in the BW. A true getaway from civilization.

The lakes are all connected by hiking trails called portages. Most portages are 1/3 to 1/2 mile in length, which is not a long hike, but remember, you are now carrying your canoe and gear as well.

There are some truely unique campsites, some on the top of bluffs or on your own islands.
Campsites are first come, first serve.

If you go early in the year or IMO the best time is after Labor Day. Summer can be busy on the lakes which are closer to jumping off points into the BW.

During the Fall, most every night we are treated to a show of the Norther Lights. No conversation is needed, just your small campfire and the wonders of the night sky.
The Milky Way is actually visible as a dense cluster of stars. Every night the call of the loons will put you to sleep.

Wildlife is present, Moose, Bear, Beaver, Deer, Eagles, Wolves, etc. You will have to make sure your foodsack is strung up in a tree. Your outfitter will show you how to do this.

Hopefully you will catch some fish along the way. I usually catch Northern Pike, Walleye and my favorite Small Mouth Bass. Fish this fresh you will never get tired of. We have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I have been out for trips of 12 days, but normally I take a 4 or 5 day trip including a weekend. You are working hard portaging/canoeing but the work is worth it when you have a lake to yourself as well as your thoughts. Time does not matter.

I personally prefer putting in at the Sawbill Lake Location near Tofte, MN. I like Sawbill Outfitters attention to detail and the staff is very friendly. Their website is http://www.sawbill.com/ The website also includes other very good links describing the BW area.

You will also need a permit to enter the BW. While permits in the off-season (Spring and Fall) are usually easy to come by, make sure you put in early for your permit during the summer months.

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 08-26-2001).]