Reload this Page >

What's there to do in MSP?

Old Jul 28, 2001, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

Might be stuck in MSP in mid-September. Other than the Great Mall of America, Minnesota Twins/Vikings, what's there to do in the Twin Cities? Looking for artsy, historical, cultural. Don't want to go to the lakes to be sacrificial prey for the flying insects.

(Hope that I correctly placed MN in the mid west)
Old Jul 29, 2001, 1:51 pm
eja

The bugs aren't bad in September, usually.

The Walker Art Center is certainly something to see. Right outside is the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, and nearby is Loring Park. The other main art museum is the Mnneapolis Institute of Arts, and there is also the Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum on the University campus, which is most noted for its Gehry-designed reflective stainless steel building.

Over in St. Paul, there is the Minnesota History Center, which is pretty interesting, and also the new Science Museum, which seems to have been well-received although I have not yet been there myself.

The Museum of Questionable Medical Devices is fun (though small), and it is located in a nice area near St. Anthony Falls. There is a good walking tour around this area that documents the early history of Minneapolis as a milling town, pointing out the old buildings and bridges, and the way the falls and the river were used by the mills.
Old Jul 29, 2001, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
There are a few old threads you can search for with tons of stuff to do in MSP. But my main recommendation for Minneapolis is a bar called Bunkers on a Monday night. Some of the best improvisational jazz, rock and R&B you'll ever hear.
Old Aug 1, 2001, 3:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
Might be stuck in MSP in mid-September. Other than the Great Mall of America, Minnesota Twins/Vikings, what's there to do in the Twin Cities? Looking for artsy, historical, cultural. </font>
terenz, go to http://www.citypages.com for a bunch of theater and music listings. I can tell you that the MN orch is awesome.. and if Brave New Workshop (Theater troupe) is still doing Flanagan's Wake, then you should definitely check that out.

Other than that, there's always something going on in the Cities. At the State Theatre, or the Orpheum... almost every weekend something different.

Jeff

Old Aug 3, 2001, 7:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by eja:
The Museum of Questionable Medical Devices is fun (though small), and it is located in a nice area near St. Anthony Falls. There is a good walking tour around this area that documents the early history of Minneapolis as a milling town, pointing out the old buildings and bridges, and the way the falls and the river were used by the mills.</font>
you know, I've walked by that museum like ten times and still haven't been. maybe this weekend if it's not too awful out.

the walking tour is decent, and the view from the Stone Arch Bridge across the Mississippi is nice. the old mill ruins they're digging up next to the bridge are interesting. I live right across from St. Anthony Main and really like that view. the little boat that got hung up on the falls July 4 is still there. oh, there's also a boat lock. whee!

I haven't spent much time in St. Paul but the area around the Cathedral is really cool; I'm thinking of moving there when my lease here is up. downtown St Paul is pretty dull.

if you want kitschy stores and trendoid restaurants, you probably want to check out Uptown in Mpls, along Hennepin Ave, or Dinkytown near the U. Downtown Mpls is ok, the pedestrian street Nicollet Mall might be worth a stroll, maybe, though it's mostly shops. it's safe downtown (else I wouldn't live there).

on the north side of Hennepin Ave is the Warehouse District which has some fun clubs and bars. across the river on Hennepin are some more fun places like Nye's Polonaise Room (home of The World's Most Dangerous Polka Band), the gay bar Boom (if you like that sort of thing) and some interesting shops. Kramarczuk's Meat Market is a scream.

near the airport is Fort Snelling, an old military outpost. I went earlier this summer but it was just too ****ed hot to do the tour.

ok, it's really not that interesting here. I've been here a little over a year and still haven't gotten around a whole lot. have fun, if you can I've lived in LA and NY and Minneapolis is sort of... well, tame. I'm only here because I have a great job, but I guess I need to give it a little more time to grow on me. and don't get me started on winter. ugh.
Old Sep 2, 2001, 7:53 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I think you really did not make me any happier about me going there too I am going to MSP for about 4 months.. we will see how those places play out.

I think I will try and catch the MR Orchestra if they are still in season! Something interesting.. as well as hockey...

I guess the weather is going to be a stretch from LA...
Old Sep 5, 2001, 9:39 am

&lt;Plug for my orchestra&gt;

LAX, You COULD hit the MN orch. *OR* you could hit the Metropolitan Symphony.

&lt;/Plug for my orchestra&gt;

OK, and while I agree with born sleepy to a point, I love it here. When I lived in New York, things were always going, I was always stuck in traffic trying to get somewhere, or on the subway doing the same. While I like that kind of lifestyle, it started to get a little annoying after a while.

Minneapolis is booming right now... things are starting to pop up all over the place that are awesome. Jesse's done a lot for us.

The *one* thing that totally NEEDS to change is the attitude. We still have that "Yah you know you betcha" attitude that we need to get on out of here. And lower taxes while you're at it, willya?

So LAX 1K, if you're looking for cool people to hang out with when you get here, zap me an email..

Jeff
Old Sep 8, 2001, 6:03 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mspman:
&lt;Plug for my orchestra&gt;

LAX, You COULD hit the MN orch. *OR* you could hit the Metropolitan Symphony.

&lt;/Plug for my orchestra&gt;

OK, and while I agree with born sleepy to a point, I love it here. When I lived in New York, things were always going, I was always stuck in traffic trying to get somewhere, or on the subway doing the same. While I like that kind of lifestyle, it started to get a little annoying after a while.

Minneapolis is booming right now... things are starting to pop up all over the place that are awesome. Jesse's done a lot for us.

The *one* thing that totally NEEDS to change is the attitude. We still have that "Yah you know you betcha" attitude that we need to get on out of here. And lower taxes while you're at it, willya?

So LAX 1K, if you're looking for cool people to hang out with when you get here, zap me an email..

Jeff
</font>
LOL, I will do that after I get settled a bit... is it possible to get around after November? (Snow,etc..) LOL
Old Sep 25, 2001, 3:21 pm

You can get around.. nothing closes even on the worst of snow days, and it doesn't matter how cold it gets, live goes on.

In Atlanta, if an inch of snow fell it was branded a blizzard and people rushed to the store to stock up on bread, batteries, and non-perishable items. Sheez!

But I would NOT recommend renting a lightweight car.

Jeff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.