Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Chicago - Drive Downtown to Hotel or Stay Airport Hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2023, 4:12 pm
Chy
Original Poster

I have two choices - drive to my downtown hotel in Chicago on a Friday night at around 9pm, or stay in the airport hotel for that night and drive down on a Saturday around noon. What's the better choice?
We need to have a rental car in both instances, I can't take public transportation. What's the best for dealing with traffic?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I would just decide whatever's more convenient for you. Sounds like you don't need to be downtown on Friday night for any particular reason? I guess if you wanted to go out for drinks or something downtown on that Friday night, you could - but if that's not your goal, I'd personally stay by the airport, get a good night's sleep, and then head downtown on Saturday. Traffic downtown will probably be lighter Saturday midday as well because you won't have the partiers going to/from the city.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:24 pm
Chy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I would just decide whatever's more convenient for you. Sounds like you don't need to be downtown on Friday night for any particular reason? I guess if you wanted to go out for drinks or something downtown on that Friday night, you could - but if that's not your goal, I'd personally stay by the airport, get a good night's sleep, and then head downtown on Saturday. Traffic downtown will probably be lighter Saturday midday as well because you won't have the partiers going to/from the city.
Thanks, yes. It will be with kids, so no "going out" at all, lol. I appreciate the feedback, and agree after long travel it makes sense to just stay at the airport for the night. It's just easier to go to one hotel and unpack once, but the night drive and dealing with night traffic is probably the worse option.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're also doing construction on the inbound Kennedy (I-90). I don't know if it's done yet since I have been avoiding it, but for most of the summer 2-3 of the four lanes have been closed. It's a mess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.