Wiki Posts
Search

Downtown Chicago Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Downtown Chicago Hotel

Looking to make my first trip to Chicago soon.

Currently looking at Kimpton Gray, Kimpton Monaco, or the Intercontinental. Any strong preferences for one over the other, and if so, why? Are any of the particularly safer, or unsafe compared to the others?
Plan to be walking around the city and doing the usual tourist stuff. I'd rather walk around, do public transit, etc. vs sitting in Ubers all day and being home by 6pm.

Strongly prefer IHG properties, unless there is a significantly better choice.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Kimptons are in the Loop and the IC is in...I guess that's Streeterville? I think the Loop will be pretty dead outside of M-F 9-5. The IC will have a little more going on. All of the options are easy walks to each other. No real differences in safety aside from those associated with fewer people being around. The Kimptons will be a little closer to more train lines, but not by so much that it makes a difference if you're already wanting to walk places.

I would also consider staying in a neighborhood like Wicker Park or Lakeview. Neighborhoods are more fun.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:24 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
You should consider staying in West Loop. There are a lot of restaurants and night life spots there; it is close to the Loop and is nowhere nearly as touristy as Michigan Ave, which gets as crowded as Main Street in Disneyland. If you wish to stay at an IHG property, there is a Crown Plaza.
bchandler02 and goodeats21 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Over thr years on my business trips I’ve stayed near magnificent mile and just south of the river. I can’t recall if an IHG property was there.

last visit was in April where I attended s conference. Where I stayed there was just off Michigan avenue. When I returned I went out to dinner at nearby places.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
As a native Chicagoan who goes back a decent amount, I would recommend not staying in the Loop or Mag Mile/Streeterville. The Loop is mostly an office zone, and with half the world still doing WFH, it really has a sort of post-zombie apocalypse feel to it these days. Mag Mile/Streeterville is just tourist central; it's a place you stay if you're coming down from Wisconsin to go shopping at Nordstrom and take your daughters to American Girl Place. If you want to go shopping and see it, you can, but I'd suggest not basing yourself there.

I personally like staying in the Gold Coast/Old Town area - think between Division and Lincoln, from the lake west to Wells. That area is much more of a neighborhood than downtown; it doesn't get the tourist traffic, has a lot of good restaurants and bars, and it's very well connected by L and buses to the rest of the city. It's also right next to the lakefront/Lincoln Park, which is gorgeous. I'm not sure if there's an IHG property there, though.

Wicker Park, as gfunkdave mentioned, is another option - although the only hotel I really know there is the Robey, which is somewhat expensive and right at the very busy and possibly noisy triple intersection of North, Milwaukee, and Damen. That area has a million places to eat and drink, lots of funky stores, and beautiful residential streets to amble down. The Blue Line L is also right there, which can take you both downtown and to ORD. There's also a Hyatt Place at North/Ashland, but that location is a bit removed and unattractive (at least to me). I know nothing about the hotel itself - have just seen it when taking the bus by it and thought to myself, "That's a very odd location for a hotel."

If you need specific recommendations on things to do, places to eat and drink, etc., please let me know!
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
We ended up at the Gray and it worked out perfect. Excellent hotel, good enough location (5 min walk to major public transportation stops) and service was top notch. Would absolutely recommend it to others.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
Sorry to reopen thread, but looking for advice on hotels/neighbourhoods for a weekend catching up with old friends all coming from other parts of N.America (long story - Chicago makes sense for our schedules). Don't want to be constantly in an Uber or taxi, so ease of public transit and walkability to restaurants, interesting spots, etc. is of importance. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by TATLTAIL
Sorry to reopen thread, but looking for advice on hotels/neighbourhoods for a weekend catching up with old friends all coming from other parts of N.America (long story - Chicago makes sense for our schedules). Don't want to be constantly in an Uber or taxi, so ease of public transit and walkability to restaurants, interesting spots, etc. is of importance. Thanks in advance.
See my post above about Gold Coast/Old Town and Wicker Park. If you're in the North Side lakefront neighborhoods, or Wicker Park/Bucktown along the Blue Line, you'll have lots of restaurants and entertainment options in walking distance and can easily get around by public transportation.

For hotels, I've heard great things about the Robey in Wicker Park, although I haven't stayed there and I'd be a bit worried about the potential for noise given its location at a busy intersection. I have stayed at the Ambassador in the Gold Coast and really like it.

There are also some boutique hotels farther north along the lakefront, in Lincoln Park and Lakeview. There's apparently a luxury hotel now right next to Wrigley Field with views of the baseball field, although I haven't stayed there either.
TATLTAIL likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02
We ended up at the Gray and it worked out perfect. Excellent hotel, good enough location (5 min walk to major public transportation stops) and service was top notch. Would absolutely recommend it to others.
Just back from 4 days at the Gray myself. Solid hotel, I would go back. However, what others have commented on re:Loop is true. It's business heavy, so come the weekend it's pretty quiet. Which, depending on your needs/desires is either a plus or minus.
I was transiting via Union Station, so Gray's location was a plus for me, as I could easily walk.
bchandler02 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.