Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago. Dig Deep and Dish It.

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Chicago. Dig Deep and Dish It.

Hello everyone,

If it weren't clear by my moniker, food plays an important part of visiting somewhere for me.

Chicago has countless places to eat, yes, but I want to focus on your deep dish recommendations. Ones that aren't Lou Malnatti's or Giordano's. I've been to those, as well as Pequod's and the recently shuttered Gulliver's, but maybe there are others worth the haul that Chicagoland residents know about.

Or, maybe there's a secret menu at any of the above.

Thanks!
FindingFoodFluency (.com)
Old May 10, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
Hello everyone,

If it weren't clear by my moniker, food plays an important part of visiting somewhere for me.

Chicago has countless places to eat, yes, but I want to focus on your deep dish recommendations. Ones that aren't Lou Malnatti's or Giordano's. I've been to those, as well as Pequod's and the recently shuttered Gulliver's, but maybe there are others worth the haul that Chicagoland residents know about.

Or, maybe there's a secret menu at any of the above.

Thanks!
FindingFoodFluency (.com)
As far as deep dish goes, Bartoli's and Labriola are highly regarded (in addition to Pequod's), and George's is a newer place in Edgewater that is very very good. I encourage branching out, though. Chicago is in something of a pizza renaissance, and there is SO MUCH out there beyond what most of us would characterize as tourist food. There's of course classic tavern style--the original Vito & Nick's on Pulaski, or Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream in Bridgeport are my personal favorites. Paulie Gee's is doing Detroit style in Logan Square or New York in Wicker Park. Know Noah Sandoval, of the two-starred Oriole? He started a Sicilian-style slice shop in Humboldt Park called Pizza Friendly Pizza. Professor Pizza does a variety of styles, and Piece in Wicker Park has been doing New Haven style pies for 20 years at this point. Middle Brow by Bungalow is great, and My Pi is a personal favorite.

I would also suggest checking out Brian Erst on Instagram for Chicago-area pizza ratings; he's got an almost encylopedic knowledge.
FindingFoodFluency likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CLEguy
As far as deep dish goes, Bartoli's and Labriola are highly regarded (in addition to Pequod's), and George's is a newer place in Edgewater that is very very good. I encourage branching out, though. Chicago is in something of a pizza renaissance, and there is SO MUCH out there beyond what most of us would characterize as tourist food. There's of course classic tavern style--the original Vito & Nick's on Pulaski, or Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream in Bridgeport are my personal favorites. Paulie Gee's is doing Detroit style in Logan Square or New York in Wicker Park. Know Noah Sandoval, of the two-starred Oriole? He started a Sicilian-style slice shop in Humboldt Park called Pizza Friendly Pizza. Professor Pizza does a variety of styles, and Piece in Wicker Park has been doing New Haven style pies for 20 years at this point. Middle Brow by Bungalow is great, and My Pi is a personal favorite.

I would also suggest checking out Brian Erst on Instagram for Chicago-area pizza ratings; he's got an almost encylopedic knowledge.
Thanks, CLEguy ! Quite a breadth of suggestions. Have you personally tried a bunch of those? (Btw, off the bat what's your favorite Cleveland pizza place?)

I'm really just looking for deep dish, but tavern-style sounds like something, too.
Old May 10, 2022, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
Thanks, CLEguy ! Quite a breadth of suggestions. Have you personally tried a bunch of those? (Btw, off the bat what's your favorite Cleveland pizza place?)

I'm really just looking for deep dish, but tavern-style sounds like something, too.
I've been to many, yes. Basically, I'd suggest not being that person who comes to Chicago, eats a bunch of deep dish, and then leaves with the impression that Chicago pizza is disappointing--because deep dish is disappointing.

I left Cleveland ~10 years ago, so it's been quite some time.
chgoeditor and cawhite like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always been partial to Bacino's stuffed pizza (in Lincoln Park, on Lincoln Av) but I haven't had it in years.

There's also a new deep dish pizza place in our hood, Milly's Pizza in the Pan, that gets rave reviews and is quite good. I think it's a little salty, though. Be sure to order a day or two ahead - they sell out quickly. Oh, but if you show up without ordering they do make individual-size pizzas that are not sold online so you have a better chance of getting one.
CLEguy likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 4:44 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I'll be in Chicago next weekend and want to try Pequod's. Does it matter which location I visit, Morton Grove or Chicago?

Last edited by aau; Oct 25, 2022 at 12:44 pm
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aau
I'll be in Chicago next weekend and want to try Pequod's. Does it matter which location I visit, Morton's Grove or Chicago?
I didn't know they had multiple locations.

Just make a reservation now.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:59 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Originally Posted by aau
I'll be in Chicago next weekend and want to try Pequod's. Does it matter which location I visit, Morton's Grove or Chicago?
I would inform you the pizzas are pretty much the same. The Morton Grove location is closer to the resuscitated venue of Burt's [Burt, from Anthony Bourdain's [R.I.P] Travel Channel show [also R.I.P.], and would make an intriguing episode of trying both reputed 'deep dish' pizzas - if you want to go that way .]
If you obtain the one-day Metra Weekend Pass, the Morton Grove train station on the Milwaukee North District line is very close to Pequod's Morton Grove, and can retrieve you for no additional funds.
aau likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by aau
I'll be in Chicago next weekend and want to try Pequod's. Does it matter which location I visit, Morton Grove or Chicago?
I would go into the city. From there it's much more convenient to venture into the surrounding neighborhoods and make the most of your visit.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pudgym29
I would inform you the pizzas are pretty much the same. The Morton Grove location is closer to the resuscitated venue of Burt's [Burt, from Anthony Bourdain's [R.I.P] Travel Channel show [also R.I.P.], and would make an intriguing episode of trying both reputed 'deep dish' pizzas - if you want to go that way .]
If you obtain the one-day Metra Weekend Pass, the Morton Grove train station on the Milwaukee North District line is very close to Pequod's Morton Grove, and can retrieve you for no additional funds.

Yes, have some!
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aau
Pequods is very good! Try some tavern style pizza in Chicago, its what gets eaten more often by locals than deep dish.

Most importantly, enjoy!
Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Agree with grb. IMHO, deep dish has become food for tourists and most of it, other than Burt's and Pequods, is terrible. For tavern style on the north side I really like it from LaVilla or Marie's and in the south suburbs, Aurelio's.

Fun fact. Burt Katz also owned Gullivers on Howard and Pequods in M.G. The original Pequods on Fernald had Burt's radio collection on display in the dining room. It was a interesting place to dine at in the 70s.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobnchi
Agree with grb. IMHO, deep dish has become food for tourists and most of it, other than Burt's and Pequods, is terrible. For tavern style on the north side I really like it from LaVilla or Marie's and in the south suburbs, Aurelio's.

Fun fact. Burt Katz also owned Gullivers on Howard and Pequods in M.G. The original Pequods on Fernald had Burt's radio collection on display in the dining room. It was a interesting place to dine at in the 70s.
Went to Gulliver's in 2019. The jalapeņo pie was good. Shame that the place closed, but I did enjoy Burt's and Pequod's a bit more.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 10:35 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I was in Chicago last weekend and went to Burt's Place (after trying Pequod's last year). I think I would rank Burt's slighty higher than Pequod's, but both would be in my top 5. I had a 10" pepperoni and could only finish two of 4 slices. The other two flew back home with me and were consumed as a midnight dinner. Held up surprisingly well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.