FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chicago. Dig Deep and Dish It.
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2022, 10:15 am
CLEguy

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
Hello everyone,

If it weren't clear by my moniker, food plays an important part of visiting somewhere for me.

Chicago has countless places to eat, yes, but I want to focus on your deep dish recommendations. Ones that aren't Lou Malnatti's or Giordano's. I've been to those, as well as Pequod's and the recently shuttered Gulliver's, but maybe there are others worth the haul that Chicagoland residents know about.

Or, maybe there's a secret menu at any of the above.

Thanks!
FindingFoodFluency (.com)
As far as deep dish goes, Bartoli's and Labriola are highly regarded (in addition to Pequod's), and George's is a newer place in Edgewater that is very very good. I encourage branching out, though. Chicago is in something of a pizza renaissance, and there is SO MUCH out there beyond what most of us would characterize as tourist food. There's of course classic tavern style--the original Vito & Nick's on Pulaski, or Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream in Bridgeport are my personal favorites. Paulie Gee's is doing Detroit style in Logan Square or New York in Wicker Park. Know Noah Sandoval, of the two-starred Oriole? He started a Sicilian-style slice shop in Humboldt Park called Pizza Friendly Pizza. Professor Pizza does a variety of styles, and Piece in Wicker Park has been doing New Haven style pies for 20 years at this point. Middle Brow by Bungalow is great, and My Pi is a personal favorite.

I would also suggest checking out Brian Erst on Instagram for Chicago-area pizza ratings; he's got an almost encylopedic knowledge.