Search

Why isn’t there a human attendant for the toll by exit to ORD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Why isn’t there a human attendant for the toll by exit to ORD

It is so frustrating to drive to ORD in a rental and to need coins. Why can’t that stop have a human attendant - I see human attendants at other toll road places and some exits. Not every traveler knows how to pay the toll online, esp if they might be feeling rushed for getting to their flight due to unexpected traffic.

I know that travelers need to be responsible but I wish the toll by ORD could cost more than $1.50 and then have a human attendant. I don’t even like that coin box.

Last edited by gaobest; Feb 22, 2020 at 11:57 am Reason: There their
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gaobest
It is so frustrating to drive to ORD in a rental and to need coins. Why can’t that stop have a human attendant - I see human attendants at other toll road places and some exits. Not every traveler knows how to pay the toll online, esp if they might be feeling rushed for getting to their flight due to unexpected traffic.

I know that travelers need to be responsible but I wish the toll by ORD could cost more than $1.50 and then have a human attendant. I don’t even like that coin box.
There's an easy option to pay online. Job done:

https://www.illinoistollway.com/toll...n/unpaid-tolls
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: UA MM

I've rented cars at ORD more times than I can count and never have to stop for tolls. The rental car company will add it to your charge at some point.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I've rented cars at ORD more times than I can count and never have to stop for tolls. The rental car company will add it to your charge at some point.
Only that fee?
Rental car companies are notorious for upcharging (excdet Silver Car I hear), and many charge you a convenience fee for every day of the rental even when you only used tolling once.
Can you confirm which agency only charged you $1.50 for the exact amount of this toll?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
Get an IPASS if you are renting so much. Bring it with you, or just add the car to the pass for set date and times, using one costs half the posted price. You an pick one up at most Jewels in the Chicago area. Heck, Id help you get one if you need. Lemme know.

Humans cost money, of which Illinois has none.
nancypants and kimberlyrose like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We use two tolls per visit in Chicago and we visit 2-3 times a year.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by grbflyer
Get an IPASS if you are renting so much. Bring it with you, or just add the car to the pass for set date and times, using one costs half the posted price. You an pick one up at most Jewels in the Chicago area. Heck, Id help you get one if you need. Lemme know.

We use two tolls per visit in Chicago and we visit 2-3 times a year.
Get an IPASS.

It's only a $10 deposit plus an intitial load of a certain amount that's then replenished when it gets below a certain level. You get your deposit back when you turn it in, so it's really no cost. Plus in Illinois at least the tolls drop by 50%. It's also good in like 19 states, mostly in the NE:

https://uchicago.app.box.com/file/625251659554

It's tranferable from car to car, so just take it with you when you travel. It can then sit unused for years accruing no cost until you use it. The other thing is that if you live in a state who's sytem is part of EZ-PASS you can use that one in Illinois. No need for an IPASS at all if that's the case.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:23 pm
glg

Originally Posted by milepig
It can then sit unused for years accruing no cost until you use it.
Apparently they eventually expire. I got a letter (and an email) on mine last week saying that my transponder has expired and to bring it into a Jewel to exchange for a new one. I can't remember if I've replaced it before. If not, it's from like 98-99. I didn't ever have the first batch that had a display, but I was pretty soon after they switched off of those.

EDIT: Just got the new one, it's good to 2029, so maybe they're 10 years or so? so maybe I got one in 2009-10.

Last edited by glg; Mar 1, 2020 at 3:22 pm
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:29 pm
glg

Originally Posted by grbflyer
ISTHA is an exception given the dedicated revenue stream. They're still quite the fount of patronage jobs.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Why can’t that stop have a human attendant - I see human attendants at other toll road places and some exits.
This is going to be extinct. Stationing a human attendant at a toll facility costs more than asking for payment later by notice, or worse, forfeiting the toll.

Last edited by garykung; Mar 2, 2020 at 3:04 pm
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by glg
Apparently they eventually expire. I got a letter (and an email) on mine last week saying that my transponder has expired and to bring it into a Jewel to exchange for a new one. I can't remember if I've replaced it before. If not, it's from like 98-99. I didn't ever have the first batch that had a display, but I was pretty soon after they switched off of those.

EDIT: Just got the new one, it's good to 2029, so maybe they're 10 years or so? so maybe I got one in 2009-10.
I've had to replace my original one (no display). I just assume there is some form of battery inside and the design does not allow the user to replace it.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
There's an easy option to pay online. Job done:

https://www.illinoistollway.com/toll...n/unpaid-tolls
This is the last thing I want to figure out if I'm in a hurry to the airport in a city that is not my home.

Originally Posted by garykung

This is going to be extinct. Stationing a human attendant at a toll facility costs more than asking for payment later by notice, or worse, forfeiting the toll.
This is Illinois and even the ISTHA has a history of corruption. As long as somebody's brother, sister, cousin, etc. needs a job there will be humans at toll booths. It's never about cost in IL, just revenue and patronage. Not to mention the fact that there needs to be someone on site at all times because the gated lanes seem to break fairly regularly and need someone to repair them or at least manually open the gate for people stuck in line.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've had to pay online after using the toll roads in Illinois and not having change to do so. It's not fun to have to remember the relevant exit number/location and time/date and have to get around to doing it, but with real-time maps and a quick screenshot, I make my own record at the toll booth and then catch up online at the airport or my destination to pay up. I've yet to mess up this.

IL and driving to ORD is probably the primary reason why I still lug around a whole bunch of coins.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by GUWonder

IL and driving to ORD is probably the primary reason why I still lug around a whole bunch of coins.
the boys from Illinois needs your $$$.
maybe stop at a dispensary or two while you’re at it.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've had to pay online after using the toll roads in Illinois and not having change to do so. It's not fun to have to remember the relevant exit number/location and time/date and have to get around to doing it, but with real-time maps and a quick screenshot, I make my own record at the toll booth and then catch up online at the airport or my destination to pay up. I've yet to mess up this.

JimInOhio likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.