Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Chicago Trip - November 22 - 27 - Conrad vs. Waldorf Astoria vs. Ritz

Old Oct 24, 19, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Iím 28 and taking my 15 year old half-brother with me on a short vacation trip to Chicago over Thanksgiving break (leaving the Friday before and coming back Thanksgiving Eve). We will primarily be doing the attractions on the CityPass.

I have 1.2 million Hilton points (and 3 weekend night certs to use) and almost half a million Marriott points.

I stayed at the Waldorf on a job when I was 22 years old (very impressed with the hotel at that time) and again 6 years later this past June (Gold Coast suite, which is bigger than my apartment and the 2nd highest option available) and not so impressed sadly....but after staying at many 5-stars for work, maybe it just didn't seem as cool as it did when I was younger. I have no exposure to the Conrad (any Conrad actually).

Which of these 3 hotels would you recommend? I'm likely leaning towards the Waldorf or the Conrad so I can burn through Hilton points.
Old Oct 27, 19, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The main positive attribute of the Conrad, the Japanese-themed rooftop bar (Noyane), is not a factor in the cold-weather months. The Waldorf is in a better location than the Ritz, just a minute or two from Rush Street, so that is where I would end up.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
The main positive attribute of the Conrad, the Japanese-themed rooftop bar (Noyane), is not a factor in the cold-weather months. The Waldorf is in a better location than the Ritz, just a minute or two from Rush Street, so that is where I would end up.
I was told the Conrad is in a better location? And had a younger/more hip vibe haha. I don't know...
Old Oct 31, 19, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you have status with either Hilton or Marriott?

Will you be arriving and departing by plane or will you be driving/one of you have a car in Chicago?

Have you considered any Marriott choices other than RC?
Old Oct 31, 19, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Do you have status with either Hilton or Marriott?

Will you be arriving and departing by plane or will you be driving/one of you have a car in Chicago?

Have you considered any Marriott choices other than RC?
1. Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold.

2. Arriving and departing by plane. Flying in from DFW.

3. I have about 400K Marriott points, but is there any Marriott staying in besides the Ritz? Not to mention, I'm trying to burn through some of the Hilton points/free night certs haha.
Old Nov 2, 19, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by idkmybffjill View Post
1. Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold.

2. Arriving and departing by plane. Flying in from DFW.

3. I have about 400K Marriott points, but is there any Marriott staying in besides the Ritz? Not to mention, I'm trying to burn through some of the Hilton points/free night certs haha.

I am a big fan of the Gwen. Great location, good hard product and better service than I get at the Ritz.
Old Feb 18, 20, 5:10 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
I would go Waldorf, Gwen, Conrad, Ritz in that order. The fireplaces at the Waldorf are especially nice during the Chicago winters.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: