FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   Chicago Trip - November 22 - 27 - Conrad vs. Waldorf Astoria vs. Ritz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/1992705-chicago-trip-november-22-27-conrad-vs-waldorf-astoria-vs-ritz.html)

idkmybffjill Oct 24, 2019 10:33 pm

Chicago Trip - November 22 - 27 - Conrad vs. Waldorf Astoria vs. Ritz

I’m 28 and taking my 15 year old half-brother with me on a short vacation trip to Chicago over Thanksgiving break (leaving the Friday before and coming back Thanksgiving Eve). We will primarily be doing the attractions on the CityPass.

I have 1.2 million Hilton points (and 3 weekend night certs to use) and almost half a million Marriott points.

I stayed at the Waldorf on a job when I was 22 years old (very impressed with the hotel at that time) and again 6 years later this past June (Gold Coast suite, which is bigger than my apartment and the 2nd highest option available) and not so impressed sadly....but after staying at many 5-stars for work, maybe it just didn't seem as cool as it did when I was younger. I have no exposure to the Conrad (any Conrad actually).

Which of these 3 hotels would you recommend? I'm likely leaning towards the Waldorf or the Conrad so I can burn through Hilton points.

BearX220 Oct 27, 2019 8:26 am

The main positive attribute of the Conrad, the Japanese-themed rooftop bar (Noyane), is not a factor in the cold-weather months. The Waldorf is in a better location than the Ritz, just a minute or two from Rush Street, so that is where I would end up.

idkmybffjill Oct 31, 2019 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 31670774)
The main positive attribute of the Conrad, the Japanese-themed rooftop bar (Noyane), is not a factor in the cold-weather months. The Waldorf is in a better location than the Ritz, just a minute or two from Rush Street, so that is where I would end up.

I was told the Conrad is in a better location? And had a younger/more hip vibe haha. I don't know...

MSPeconomist Oct 31, 2019 10:29 pm

Do you have status with either Hilton or Marriott?

Will you be arriving and departing by plane or will you be driving/one of you have a car in Chicago?

Have you considered any Marriott choices other than RC?

idkmybffjill Oct 31, 2019 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31688587)
Do you have status with either Hilton or Marriott?

Will you be arriving and departing by plane or will you be driving/one of you have a car in Chicago?

Have you considered any Marriott choices other than RC?

1. Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold.

2. Arriving and departing by plane. Flying in from DFW.

3. I have about 400K Marriott points, but is there any Marriott staying in besides the Ritz? Not to mention, I'm trying to burn through some of the Hilton points/free night certs haha.

andrewstahl Nov 2, 2019 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill (Post 31688633)
1. Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold.

2. Arriving and departing by plane. Flying in from DFW.

3. I have about 400K Marriott points, but is there any Marriott staying in besides the Ritz? Not to mention, I'm trying to burn through some of the Hilton points/free night certs haha.

I am a big fan of the Gwen. Great location, good hard product and better service than I get at the Ritz.

beta1607 Feb 18, 2020 5:10 pm

I would go Waldorf, Gwen, Conrad, Ritz in that order. The fireplaces at the Waldorf are especially nice during the Chicago winters.