Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Chicago in Winter

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum
Question Visiting Chicago in Winter

I am thinking of spending a couple of days end of December in Chicago for sightseeing. Is winter a rather bad time for a (first time) visit of Chicago? I know that no one can guarantee the weather, so I would just appreciate some comments wether one should normally be able to get around, do one or the other of the CAF tours (probably no cruises in winter?) and visit a museum or two. Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
As you say, the weather is uncertain, but it can be a wonderful time to visit Chicago. The Christmas lights are wonderful. The stores are great. There are terrific plays to see. The museums are are fantastic.
chgoeditor likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
The answer to your question depends on your tolerance for weather and your willingness to pack for it. December could be 55F here. Last year though, we had a week in early December that hovered right around 0F. Snow is rare in December, but it could happen. It could also rain.

I don't know of the CAF cruises are still open, but I don't think they'd be much fun in December. It can get cold and windy on the river.

If none of that scares you away, then you'll be fine. In reality, nothing in the city ever closes. Maybe once every 5 years, there's a city snow day where public buildings like museums are closed. Even then, you'll find many restaurants, bars, etc. still open. On those days, we put on our snow boots and walk to the local tavern for dinner and a pint.

And, by the way, there is almost a 0% chance of having a snow day like that in December. I'd expect normal schedules for everything, as well as 100% of public transportation in operation.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:44 pm
glg

The boat tours stop in mid-November. Which is fine, as JBord said, being on the river could be terribly cold and windy. Other CAF tours (walking, bus, L) run all winter. Our worst weather tends to be more toward late January-early February. Prepare for cold, don't be surprised if it's in the 50s. If it's horrible, take a tour of the pedway.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by glg
The boat tours stop in mid-November. Which is fine, as JBord said, being on the river could be terribly cold and windy. Other CAF tours (walking, bus, L) run all winter. Our worst weather tends to be more toward late January-early February. Prepare for cold, don't be surprised if it's in the 50s. If it's horrible, take a tour of the pedway.
December and February are pretty comparable for snowfall and avg temperatures: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago#Climate

December is also darker.

But I echo others on this thread that as long as you are expecting it to be winter, it's a fine time to visit. Bring a good coat. You'll miss out on hanging out in lakefront parks, but museums, restaurants, architecture, etc. are all still here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.