Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

new parking / rental car facility at ORD

Old Nov 7, 18, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...107-story.html

The city of Chicago on Wednesday officially opened a new ground transportation center at O’Hare International Airport that includes rental car facilities, public parking and a place for service dogs.
[...]
Old Nov 7, 18, 8:40 pm
glg

Buses from the terminals for now, ATS/People Mover extension will be complete next year.
Old Nov 8, 18, 6:24 am

Correct...there's a fleet of 42 buses specifically for this and 27 for the shuttle between the Terminals.

Planned reopening of the ATS is September 2019.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Looks like once they return ATS to service, they plan to move the some traffic from the Bus/Shuttle Center to the new facility, specifically the regional buses.

I wonder if misc shuttles will remain at the Bus/Shuttle Center or if it will be closed down.

Looks like they really dropped the ball on not having a sidewalk to the Metra station...not that frequency is all that much but it's right there.
Old Nov 8, 18, 12:43 pm

I don't understand the no connection to the Metra station part either.

Has anyone explored the area? Is there, perhaps, an easy unofficial way to get to and from the Metra station? I mean one that doesn't require climbing a fence and will not get you arrested?
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:23 pm
glg

Are we certain there isn't a connection? We have Alderman Hopkins (who I've noticed can be a bit of a bloviator) saying there isn't one, but a quote that there isn't one and a reporter stating there isn't one are different things. I've definitely seen connection to metra mentioned in the past plans. If there isn't one, where exactly does one go from the Metra station?
Old Nov 9, 18, 4:45 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by ords View Post
Correct...there's a fleet of 42 buses specifically for this and 27 for the shuttle between the Terminals.

Planned reopening of the ATS is September 2019.
No longer reopening next spring as was originally planned? The ORD website still says the closure is only through the winter.
Old Nov 22, 18, 9:21 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hilton Gold
Nope. No longer opening in spring. Now they hope "early Fall". Last week the line was over an hour long, and the Aviation Police were suggesting passengers take taxis.
Old Nov 28, 18, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
Looks like once they return ATS to service, they plan to move the some traffic from the Bus/Shuttle Center to the new facility, specifically the regional buses.

I wonder if misc shuttles will remain at the Bus/Shuttle Center or if it will be closed down.

Looks like they really dropped the ball on not having a sidewalk to the Metra station...not that frequency is all that much but it's right there.
The news article I read, can't remember if it was from the Tribune or WGN, said that all of the buses currently picking up at the Bus/Shuttle Center, including off-airport parking, hotel shuttles, etc., would go to the new facility. I don't know whether they'd also drop off there, or if they'd continue to drop off at the terminals, and I also don't know what they plan to do with the old Bus/Shuttle Center.

The flyer at flychicago.com mentions "luggage concierge service" at the new facility sometime in 2019, does this mean it would be possible to check luggage at the facility in the future?
Old Nov 28, 18, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post
The news article I read, can't remember if it was from the Tribune or WGN, said that all of the buses currently picking up at the Bus/Shuttle Center, including off-airport parking, hotel shuttles, etc., would go to the new facility. I don't know whether they'd also drop off there, or if they'd continue to drop off at the terminals, and I also don't know what they plan to do with the old Bus/Shuttle Center.

The flyer at flychicago.com mentions "luggage concierge service" at the new facility sometime in 2019, does this mean it would be possible to check luggage at the facility in the future?
I can see why they'd want to move as much as possible out of the old T4/Shuttle/Bus Center as people getting to and fro cause traffic tie-ups, not to mention the safety concerns. One more thing to occupy traffic personnel, too.
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I can see why they'd want to move as much as possible out of the old T4/Shuttle/Bus Center as people getting to and fro cause traffic tie-ups, not to mention the safety concerns. One more thing to occupy traffic personnel, too.
I fully support keeping all those buses and vans off of 190, but I'd be good and pissed if I was dropped off there rather than at the terminals.
Old Nov 29, 18, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I used the rental car return during the first week of November. I have very mixed opinions about the service differences now, and I have more confidence in the rental car companies having had ownership of the shuttle buses than in the airport having done so by nudging them out.

For those of us used to some car rental companies providing more personalized assistance on return, the use of just the multi-company shared shuttle buses comes with a reduction in service of sorts.
Old Nov 29, 18, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I used the rental car return during the first week of November. I have very mixed opinions about the service differences now, and I have more confidence in the rental car companies having had ownership of the shuttle buses than in the airport having done so by nudging them out.

For those of us used to some car rental companies providing more personalized assistance on return, the use of just the multi-company shared shuttle buses comes with a reduction in service of sorts.
Your post reminded me of how many times I stood outside of one of the terminals (typically T1) waiting for a National/Alamo bus to come by when it was about 18F outside. Would often watch two or three Hertz buses go by while I was shivering.

The real benefit is when the ATS is back in service which was originally scheduled for the opening of the new rental car and transportation center (IIRC). When that finally happens, it will be an all-indoor process of going from the car return to the terminal.
Old Nov 29, 18, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
Your post reminded me of how many times I stood outside of one of the terminals (typically T1) waiting for a National/Alamo bus to come by when it was about 18F outside. Would often watch two or three Hertz buses go by while I was shivering.
Not to mention if you get on the wrong bus by mistake!

The real benefit is when the ATS is back in service which was originally scheduled for the opening of the new rental car and transportation center (IIRC). When that finally happens, it will be an all-indoor process of going from the car return to the terminal.
Ding ding ding. Less personal but all indoors wheeled-suitcase friendly.
Old Nov 29, 18, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
Not to mention if you get on the wrong bus by mistake!

Ding ding ding. Less personal but all indoors wheeled-suitcase friendly.
Getting on the wrong rental car bus at ORD? Not my kind of mistake.

That all-indoors, wheeled suitcase-friendly path from rental car return to airline check-in counter using ATS may be less ideal for some than having the more personal and more corporate type service back from the individual rental car company.

Search this Thread