Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

MCI-KEF 3x/wk begins 26 May 2018 (seasonal)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat

"nonstop transatlantic service" (sort of) on Icelandair begins May 25th (every other day, seasonally) on a 2-class 757-200:
"Flight FI840 departs Kansas City International Airport at 5:15 p.m. (CDT) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays and arrives at KEF at 5:05 a.m. (GMT).... Flight FI841 departs Keflavik International Airport at 6:00 p.m. (GMT) on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays and arrives in Kansas City at 8:45 p.m. (CDT)"

Source: Kansas City International Airport
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Lived here in KC all my life. Booked economy with my wife on inaugural MCI-KEF flight for a 3-day memorial day weekend trip.

As note, this is the first intl overseas service in the history of MCI.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
FI launched the outbound service to KEF yesterday and it was quite a celebration at MCI! I flew the inbound inaugural on Friday with a few friends and it was easily one of the best flights I've taken in a long time. FI used Hekla Aurora for both flights. The crew was terrific and offered a champagne toast, customized luggage tags, macaroon's, chocolate ice cream bars and Icelandic candies.

Old May 29, 2018, 10:09 am

Sounds lovely! Does MCI really not have a jetbridge the aircraft can use?
Old May 29, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Sounds lovely! Does MCI really not have a jetbridge the aircraft can use?
Of course they do; that photo was taken in KEF. Seems like most flights there get hard stands. My inbound PDX-KEF got one, as did my friends who flew BOS-KEF.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:49 pm

Here are some pictures from the inaugural MCI-KEF flight. We did get the corresponding luggage tag from the FI staff but I can't find it for a picture right at the moment. Flight was essentially full. The return flight on Tuesday had ~30 passengers, many of whom were the special people from this flight (aviation dept, news crews).

KC Mayor, KC Aviation Director, KC Deputy Aviation Director, FI CEO, Iceland Ambassador to US were all present as well as 3 TV news crews (4, 9, 41). Channel 4 went on the flight and reported for a few days and returned on Tuesday.

Northern Lights Cake

Q39 BBQ served up fresh

CEO of IcelandAir being interviewed by local KC TV station

Iceland's ambassador to the US and former prime minister Geir Haarde speaking.

Ribbon cutting by the pilot with all dignitaries present.

Complimentary tote bag, water bottle, and poster voucher from the KC aviation department. Given just before the jetway.

Hekla Aurora parked at Gate 89, viewed from just before the jetway.

Inaugural water spray from the fire trucks

Complimentary water and one-time complimentary sparkling wine served on inaugural flight.

Hamburgers available for purchase on board, $17. Actual meat though.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:49 pm

FriendlySkies, seems we missed each other, have to meet another time.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBagman
FriendlySkies, seems we missed each other, have to meet another time.
Very sorry we didn’t catch up. I came back on Saturday for the pre departure party and had a great time (and enjoyed the Q39). Shoot me a PM so you can join the rest of us locals next time for a meal or drinks.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:12 am

Sounds good, I didn't even think of it ahead of time. As comic note, I was the guy wearing the black "I love Iceland" shirt, with wife wearing the Iceland winter hat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.