Wiki Posts
Search

Walking to Soldier Field from a Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2009, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Walking to Soldier Field from a Hotel?

Hello.

I am planning to go to Chicago this fall to see a Chicago Bears footbal game at Soldier Field. I won't have a car and am planning to walk to the game. I am considering both the Hilton Towers and the Fairmont. My concern is if a walk is doable? It looks like Soldier Field is surrounded by many high traffic roads. If it is possible to walk to the game, which hotel would be more convenient to stay at?

Thanks!!
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dougingb
Hello.

I am planning to go to Chicago this fall to see a Chicago Bears footbal game at Soldier Field. I won't have a car and am planning to walk to the game. I am considering both the Hilton Towers and the Fairmont. My concern is if a walk is doable? It looks like Soldier Field is surrounded by many high traffic roads. If it is possible to walk to the game, which hotel would be more convenient to stay at?

Thanks!!
You'll be ok as long as you stay near the Red Line. Take that south to Roosevelt, and then either walk or take the bus over to the lake. There are walkways/tunnels to get you under Lake Shore Drive. You walk by the Field Museum to the Soldier Field entrances.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:34 pm

Programs: United, American
Bears hotel

Doug - don't think twice: stay at the Hilton.

As you leave the main entrance, make a left and go about a half block to Balbo Drive. Cross Balbo and follow the hordes through Grant Park to Soldier Field. It's a nice walk.

I've had season tickets since 1976. I park near the Hilton and this is how I get to the stadium. (For games in colder weather, I change into my long underwear in the Hilton's mens room.)

Also, be aware that the Hilton bar is a meeting place for scores of Bear fans.

If you're somewhere else along the red line, exit at Roosevelt, but don't bother with a bus. It's an easy walk and you'll enjoy the camaraderie of the fans along the way.

I presume you're from Green Bay. If you're going to the Bear/Packer game, you won't be lonely. Thousands of Packer fans buy tickets from scalpers every year.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 4:11 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnmcq
Doug - don't think twice: stay at the Hilton.

If you're somewhere else along the red line, exit at Roosevelt, but don't bother with a bus. It's an easy walk and you'll enjoy the camaraderie of the fans along the way.
agreed on both accounts
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Absolutely.

No need to go to Balbo or Roosevelt, just head right out the doors of the Hilton,and cross Michigan at 8th 9th or 11th, walk through the park and take the pedestrian bridge across the Metra tracks at 11th and then the footpath under Columbus, LSD, etc. By that point there will be throngs of people and Soldier Field is signposted.

Beautiful walk, with no traffic to cross except at one point right by Soldier Field.

This pathway and the entire Museum Campus is one thing that Chicago got wonderfully right.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:07 pm

Programs: United, American
correction to my directions: At Balbo, walk across Michigan Avenue and continue east to Soldier Field. You can't miss seing it. Just follow the sidewalks that go towards it.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Saw this thread. Just wanted to add that you can take a free shuttle bus from very near the Fairmont Hotel. These buses load up in two places:

- Upper Randolph St. approx at Columbus
- Lower-Lower Randolph approx at Columbus

They are intended for people who are parked at either Millennium Garage or Monroe St. Garage, but really, anyone can take these buses. They take a "secret" route to Soldier Field as well, alongside the railroad tracks in a special bus lane.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:46 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Check out the Renaissance Blackstone on south state. it has just been refurbished and has recieved good views. it is probably a 15 minute walk to soldiers field unless you are a fast walker.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=BangkokTraveler;11607089They take a "secret" route to Soldier Field as well, alongside the railroad tracks in a special bus lane.[/QUOTE]

"Secret" to whom? IC RR owns the road.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:06 pm
glg

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
"Secret" to whom? IC RR owns the road.
They've been using it for convention buses to McCormick Place for a couple of years, but a lot of people don't know about it.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glg
They've been using it for convention buses to McCormick Place for a couple of years, but a lot of people don't know about it.
Why would it help the average shmo to know??(As long as the driver knows and the owner of the road consents...)
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
Technically the City owns the "secret" road, though it is on the railroad right-of-way. It is useful for the average schmo to know about the busway, since they may observe terrible traffic on surface streets like Columbus Drive and think, "forget (or other F) it, faster to walk" not realizing the bus may have an alternate route sans congestion.

Last edited by cliff_rock; Apr 20, 2009 at 10:42 am Reason: typos
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Forget the secret road unless you are on a bus. Walking is going to be the fastest route and should be fine unless you are going in the dead of the winter
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:00 pm
glg

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Why would it help the average shmo to know??(As long as the driver knows and the owner of the road consents...)
you're the one who objected to the word secret. I answered that. No idea what you're arguing with now
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:14 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Should be going to the Bears game on Sunday. I would like to get out of town ASAP after the game. Will need to get to I-80 going west. Any advice on a place to stay or park to get out quick?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.