Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Kimpton??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Which Kimpton??

Coming to Chicago for 6 days at the 4th of July. Between the Kimpton Burnham and Allegro, which would you choose. I do have Inner Circle status and would more than likely be upgraded to a suite. Any opinions?????

Also, flying into Midway - arriving at around 10:30PM - I have reservations at the Clarion Midway on a BRG for a free nigt and also at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro for a comp night. Which would be a better choice seeing that it is late night. How easy would it be to get to the Crowne Plaza via subway as I would rather stay there.

Staying the other nights at Kimpton
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:30 pm

I'd vote for the Burnham. If you have any intrest at all in architecture, it is really hard to beat the Reliance building (where the Burnham is). The rooms are small but very comfortable. Allegro feels a bit dated to me.

The el to the Crowne Plaza is not super easy. The hotel is about half a mile from a station and you'll have to transfer. The cab to the CP wouldn't be that bad at that time of night. Maybe $25-30? The Orange Line to the Burnahm (or Allegro for that matter) is easy.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your info...
I am into the whole architecture thing, so I think the burnham is also the top of my list. I am also able to get the Hotel Sax at a great rate, as well as the Palmer House Hilton. DO you know anything about these places. I am planning on doing the architecture boat tour and going out to the Frank Lloyd wright area. Any other recommendations? We will be there for 5 days. We love great neighborhood areas with interesting shopping and restaurants.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:00 pm

I don't care for the Sax. The design isn't very well done and there is a club in the lobby that can be a bit loud on weekends. Palmer House is a grand old hotel and we redone a few years back. It's big though. So if you prefer a more boutique feel, I'd stick with the Burnham.

Boat tour is a good idea, as is the FLW studio in Oak Park. The Robie House in Hyde Park is also a great tour. It's not far from the Museum of Science of Industry if that holds any intrest.

Plenty of great neighborhoods to check out. Outside of Downtown, Wicker Park/Bucktown has some great shopping. You can always check out Lincoln Park and Lakeview on the North Side by the lake. Lincoln Square is fun too. I'm sure others will have more creative suggestions!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much !! The museum of science and industry wasn't even on my radar. It looks great!! I think that may be worth the trip.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Late, arriving in a city you don't know and staying one night, I'd say airport hotel is best.

Many many many threads in this forum about stuff to do here.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Late, arriving in a city you don't know and staying one night, I'd say airport hotel is best.

Many many many threads in this forum about stuff to do here.
We will be staying a total of 6 nights. 4 nights at Kimpton - one night on each end of that near airport
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:21 am
glg

Burnham and Allegro both have a historic feeling, but for different reasons.

Burnham used to be offices, so the hallways have the feel of an old office building, complete with transoms above the doors, etc. If you're in the right mood, you can imagine you're in a film noir going to visit a private eye.

Allego, OTOH, has always been a hotel. Formerly the Bismarck Hotel. It dates from 1926 and has lots of history in its own right.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:45 pm

We've stayed at both the Allegro and the Burnham, and even though there were a couple of missteps at the Burnham on our last stay there, I would still pick the Burnham again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.