Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Do Chicago (ORD) taxis typically take credit cards.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:05 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

...or do I need to make sure I have cash?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
By law, non-independent taxis must accept Credit Cards; but, YMMV.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...redit-card-cab

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g3...ago.Taxis.html

Many do and have readers, others may radio-in your CC info (which is when I bust-out cash), and I've even had the old manual carbon-paper swipe ones.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:16 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Thanks. What's a non-independent taxi? Like Yellow Cab?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
But, being Chicago, if you ask beforehand and they don't want to take the CC their reader will be mysteriously broken.

I'm a big fan of the machines in NYC cabs. They're in the back seat and you swipe your card, and even get to add a tip in various percentages and you're done.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: IC Plat Amb, Kimpton Inner Circle, BW Diamond
If you have a smartphone, you can also try Uber (www.uber.com). Choose the taxi option and you pay regular taxi fare + 20% tip billed directly to the card on your account.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:35 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Just tell the employee who's manning the line that you need a cab which takes credit cards--and confirm with the cab driver before loading your luggage.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by cblaisd
What's a non-independent taxi? Like Yellow Cab?
Pretty much - but, as other suggested, just tell the driver you intend to pay with a CC before entering and make sure they'll take it.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by milepig
But, being Chicago, if you ask beforehand and they don't want to take the CC their reader will be mysteriously broken.

I'm a big fan of the machines in NYC cabs. They're in the back seat and you swipe your card, and even get to add a tip in various percentages and you're done.

And that's why I never ask beforehand. When I get to my destination and the driver sees me offering a cc and say his machine is broken, I tell 'em if he can't take my cc then l'll give him the $2 in my pocket.

At that point, typically the machine magically starts working again or, worst case, they call it in. On the few times where they continue b**tching, I remind them about the requirement (you can read it straight from the consumer poster in the back of the cab). I then give them the choice of cc vs. what little cash I have, if any. I've gotten some free rides as a result.

All that said, I can't imagine having this problem if you're coming/going from the City to ORD/MDW as I'm sure most cabbies know that lots of ppl will want to pay with cc given the relatively higher cost.

Last edited by XLR26; Jan 11, 2013 at 12:22 pm
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:58 am
glg

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Just tell the employee who's manning the line that you need a cab which takes credit cards--and confirm with the cab driver before loading your luggage.
XLR26's method will work, but because I just don't want to deal with a bs-ing cab driver at the end of a trip, I go this route when I don't have cash.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Cash is always a solution, but you could simply ask the cabbie about CC before getting in. If you do skip a cab, people behind you in the line will even be appreciative.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SWA, SPG, HH
Taxis absolutely accept credit cards - and are required by law to do so. You don't need to ask in advance - and at the end of the trip if you tell them that you only have a CC, they'll always "magically" be able to accept it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.