Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:17 am

MKE Bucks fans to get priority boarding-April 2017

Since I did not want to face the wrath of any DL DMs, I am posting this here, hoping that some DL MKE pax will be able to make good use of the offer.

As part of the Bucks playoff run, at Mitchell International Airport, Delta is giving priority boarding to all passengers wearing Bucks gear starting Thursday, and extending through Saturday. Those passengers will be allowed to board with the premium cabin and diamond medallion passengers,
http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/l...212b0f7bf2f8be
Old May 24, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
UA has officially moved over to C. They are using C9, C11, and C15. Some of the C15 flights show up as "C15A" or "C15B" on FIDS. I assume those are two different parking spots--not sure if they are swinging the jetway or if one of them has ground level boarding.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mizzou65201
UA has officially moved over to C. They are using C9, C11, and C15. Some of the C15 flights show up as "C15A" or "C15B" on FIDS. I assume those are two different parking spots--not sure if they are swinging the jetway or if one of them has ground level boarding.
So E is completely empty now. It would make a great international gate. The NW lounge is still there so a minor reno would make it a very hospitable place to wait.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
And now the Airport Authority has closed up E. We will see if the plans to tear it down and construct an International concourse goes through. No doubt the International arrivals building is insufficient. Lot's of traveling through E. I remember when it was christened for North Central Airlines for their hub operation in MKE. Good times. Good times.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
it looks like WN canceled SFO-MKE and SAN-MKE. Neither flight can be booked past October
Old May 29, 2017, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Tim34
it looks like WN canceled SFO-MKE and SAN-MKE. Neither flight can be booked past October
I believe those were announced as "seasonal" cuts but no idea when the "season" will return.

Not sure about SAN, but the MKE-SFO and return flights were never timed well, IMO.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Norwegian Expansion in the US

Chicago is mentioned in this article. I am just wondering if MKE is in the running for the CHI area expansion for Norwegian. Now that E is finally closed and renovation is in order, it would be perfect timing for MKE to work with an international airline like Norwegian to build out E to their specifications. Especially if Norwegian plans to fly a 787 to the Chicago area. Just my thinking. I know people in ORD and RFD will beg to differ.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/nor...rvice-to-rome/
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by flyYX
Chicago is mentioned in this article. I am just wondering if MKE is in the running for the CHI area expansion for Norwegian. Now that E is finally closed and renovation is in order, it would be perfect timing for MKE to work with an international airline like Norwegian to build out E to their specifications. Especially if Norwegian plans to fly a 787 to the Chicago area. Just my thinking. I know people in ORD and RFD will beg to differ.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/nor...rvice-to-rome/
I doubt you'll see them start TATL service from MKE. Perhaps (eventually) to the Caribbean.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:04 am

Allegiant arriving at MKE

New service from MKE to SFB, AZA, PIE, PGD, and FLL, starting as early as October 2017, with introductory fares as low as $35.

This is just what MKE needs to generate more competitive fares, again.

Flights are already loaded and bookable.

http://ir.allegiantair.com/phoenix.z...cle&ID=2281839

Last edited by mke9499; Jun 20, 2017 at 6:18 am
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499
New service from MKE to SFB, AZA, PIE, PGD, and FLL, starting as early as October 2017, with introductory fares as low as $35.

This is just what MKE needs to generate more competitive fares, again.

Flights are already loaded and bookable.

http://ir.allegiantair.com/phoenix.z...cle&ID=2281839
Do we know what concourse Allegiant will be using at Mitchell?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by JustaGoodGuy
Do we know what concourse Allegiant will be using at Mitchell?
I don't know, although a couple weeks ago there was a NOTAM for ramp work at D30, D34, and D36. Those would seem to be logical choices.

In other news, 1x/daily MKE-SLC on DL operated by OO on E175 begins December 21. MKE-SLC leaves here at 7:15am, SLC-MKE leaves SLC at 5:15pm and arrives MKE at 9:30pm. Hopefully this route will do well and allow for the addition of corresponding afternoon MKE departure and morning SLC departure to allow for another bank of connections.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou65201
I don't know, although a couple weeks ago there was a NOTAM for ramp work at D30, D34, and D36. Those would seem to be logical choices.
I think the NOTAM is actually D34 / D36 / D38 -- those gates are in line for revamp to modern jetways. D30 was already upgraded a few years back. I think we may find those three gates getting converted into two, for three total gates on the "thirty side" of the D stem. I think the existing configuration is too tight to park something like a 737-700 at each gate, and there's no point in creating more gates which are restricted.

My gut is that Allegiant will use D30. We're actually approaching the point where there aren't surplus gates with the D34/36/38 revamp. This winter Frontier will have two morning originating flights and charters (Swift Air) will have two morning originating flights. If Allegiant has D30 and the charters also operate out of D:

D27 ground boarding vacant
D28 ground boarding Onejet
D29 ground boarding vacant

D30 Allegiant
D34 under construction
D36 under construction
D38 under construction

D39 Frontier
D41 Frontier

D42 Delta (not under least but routine squatting)
D43 Delta
D44 Delta
D45 Delta
D46 Delta
D47 Delta
D48/D49 Delta

D51 Alaska
D52 American
D53 Swift Air #1 (charter)
D54 American
D55 American
D56 American

No gate for Swift Air (charter) plane #2 . If the departures are far enough apart they may be able to run all out of D53 and tow, or they could borrow D51 or D30.

Clearly there are several underutilized gates at Mitchell, most notably the Alaska gate on D and the Volaris gate on C. It's hardly a capacity crisis at the moment. But if (for example) Spirit wants to come in you want to have a gate for them, not patch together space you can borrow. So it's good they are moving on revamping the "30" side.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:50 am

Yep, got the gates wrong on the NOTAM.

I just looked at a satellite view and you're exactly right on 34/36/38. They were configured to accommodate a DC-9/717 (94 foot wingspan) at each gate without much room to spare. I'm sure they'll want to accommodate at least the 118 foot wingspan of a 737 MAX or A320neo, and that will require dropping one of those three gates.

I believe C25 is currently common use as well. They could throw a charter flight in there, although perhaps there's value in a sort of standing invitation for WN to go back up on gates...
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:02 am

Looks like someone is working on possibly bringing Midwest Express back.

www.flymidwestexpress.com

I will believe it when I see it. Probably a college project or something.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:08 am

The return of Midwest Express?

There is an effort underway for a start-up named "Midwest Express." The name and logo were purchased by the interests involved in the endeavor. The group is in the process of lining up investors. Presumably, a former Midwest employee is involved.

They need to correct the copy on their website.
Remember the great service, comfortable seating and chocolate cookies?
https://www.biztimes.com/2017/indust...ress-airlines/

Last edited by mke9499; Aug 9, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.