Wiki Posts
Search

MCI restaurants near UA gates?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum
MCI restaurants near UA gates?

I booked my very first mileage run to keep *A status. I'm doing ATL-ORD-MCI-ORD-ATL on Sun, Dec 20. and will be around 11:45 - 1:15. Any recommendations for places to eat there near UA? And if any other FTers are around, we can have a beer.

Here's the invite....
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...3104158&ref=nf
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Plat, Starbucks Gold
Pretty slim pickins, I'm afraid. There's a standard airport bar and grill and a Quiznos fairly close to the gate. Same terminal, but the opposite end, includes a food court type area that includes Arthur Bryant's BBQ (but not as good or authentic as the real one downtown, of course). Remember that at MCI, all the restaurants are outside security, so plan accordingly.

MCI is a great airport to arrive home to (I'm usually at my car about 12 minutes after wheels-down) but not so great to pass through. Never really thought of us as a MR destination, but I hope you have a good stay! (I'll be working right about then so I'm afraid I can't join you...)
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I travel in/out of MCI once or twice a year to visit family and I will say that the airport is very easy to navigate...gates and baggage claim are on the same level, etc....but it is one of the strangest airports I've been to...for a relatively large city, the airport feels smallish and at times cramped, especially when you are stuck in a the holding area after security. Also, I will agree that the food options, for this size of an airport, are some of the worst I've seen--very little to choose from. I can see it being a MR city mainly because WN has such a big presence there so the fares are usually competitve, but it probably makes a better connection city to pick up an extra EQS between coasts.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Welcome to MCI.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum
I'm a noob with MRs and it was the cheapest I could find with my limited skills and on such short notice (and holiday season) to fulfill the 2000 miles I needed, and still be home in time for dinner. I'm also a masochist which is why I chose a connection through ORD in the winter during holiday travel weekend. ;-).

I tried a number of the recommended sites but the best I could get was $255. Anything routed through DEN and IAD was too expensive and/or too many miles (& late return to ATL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.