Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Jordan/Petra/Amman - options for 1st time visitor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2008, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

We are planning to visit Jordan for the first time at the end of the year (Dec) as part of RTW. Having read other threads, it seems the main attractions are Petra, Wadi Rum, Dead Sea and there's little in the Amman city itself.

Due to the flight schedule we will be there for four nights. Currently I'm contemplating between going on a tour (eg there's a 3 nights/4 days tour on viator) versus booking a hotel at Amman for 4 nights and take day trips with local tour each day.

I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions on either approach, or alternative suggestion. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

David
Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I spent a couple of nights in Amman last month. Visited Jeraish (Roman city) and Ajloun Castle built for Saladdin. Both were fascinating sites and about an hour's drive north from Amman.

In Amman the Citadel and Roman amphitheatre are worth a visit.

I have not seen Petra yet so looking forward to your account before my next trip to Jordan.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA
Petra and Wadi Rum are well worth a visit. Both are easily accessible from Amman.

Your assumption about Amman is correct. It is not a great place to spend a few days lounging about.

If you have more than a few days in Jordan, I would suggest getting a Syrian visa and taking a service taxi from Amman to Damascus. There is plenty to do there.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by austrider
Hi All,

We are planning to visit Jordan for the first time at the end of the year (Dec) as part of RTW. Having read other threads, it seems the main attractions are Petra, Wadi Rum, Dead Sea and there's little in the Amman city itself.

Due to the flight schedule we will be there for four nights. Currently I'm contemplating between going on a tour (eg there's a 3 nights/4 days tour on viator) versus booking a hotel at Amman for 4 nights and take day trips with local tour each day.

I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions on either approach, or alternative suggestion. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

David
Personally I felt there was more to see and do in Petra than Amman. Either way given the time to drive between the two, I'd recommend staying at least 1 night in Wadi Musa.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
It depends on the tour, of course, but I would imagine that a typical our-day tour would cover the basic sites.

Keep in mind that it is cold in central Jordan in December; it might even be snowing. So, although the Dead Sea area is significantly warmer than Amman, it probably won't be well-suited to lounging around. Ditto for Petra -- worth a visit, but you might not want to spend as much time trudging as you would in the spring. I am not sure about the accommodation in Wadi Musa, as a previous poster suggested, but some of the more rustic options may not be desirable this time of year.

I agree about Damascus. I loved it. You may not have enough time this trip, but it's worth considering. You might even structure your RTW ticket to go into there instead and then take a surface sector to AMM (or vice-versa).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.