Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice & suggestions needed: Ground Transportation in Israel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2023, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold

My flight (on AT) arrives @ TLV around 08:00. Have checked bags. US passport holder.

Have question regarding ground transportation from TLV to Tiberias (Hotel Leonardo Plaza), and return days later.

1. How much time from picking up luggage to entering landside Israel?
2. I am open to all means of transportation suggestions: public (bus/train or combo); private (taxi or car service). I have no time constrain, but would like to know approximate cost for taxi and private car service (and time of travel). I understand no one can predict traffic. But just in a general sense.
3. Please assist in the "How to and Where to" for each means of transport.
4. Which terminal does AT use?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel
My flight (on AT) arrives @ TLV around 08:00. Have checked bags. US passport holder.

Have question regarding ground transportation from TLV to Tiberias (Hotel Leonardo Plaza), and return days later.

1. How much time from picking up luggage to entering landside Israel?
2. I am open to all means of transportation suggestions: public (bus/train or combo); private (taxi or car service). I have no time constrain, but would like to know approximate cost for taxi and private car service (and time of travel). I understand no one can predict traffic. But just in a general sense.
3. Please assist in the "How to and Where to" for each means of transport.
4. Which terminal does AT use?

Thank you in advance.
1. Assume 1 hour to go through immigration and pick up luggage.
2. What day of the week? There is no public transport on Saturdays. Assuming any other day of the week, you can take a train from the airport to the "Hamifratz" station, then take a 430 or 434 bus from the adjacent "Merkazit Mifratz" bus station to Tiberias. Look at the Israel Railways website for train schedules and www.bus.gov.il for bus schedules. Total cost should be less than 50 NIS.. A taxi from the airport will cost hundreds of NIS.. Driving time is about 2 hours..
4. All flights arrive at Terminal 3.

How long will you be in Tiberias? What are your plans and how will you travel around the north? Why not spend a few days in Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem before continuing to the Galilee?
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbgg
2. What day of the week? There is no public transport on Saturdays. Assuming any other day of the week, you can take a train from the airport to the "Hamifratz" station, then take a 430 or 434 bus from the adjacent "Merkazit Mifratz" bus station to Tiberias. Look at the Israel Railways website for train schedules and ???? ??????? ???? ????? for bus schedules. Total cost should be less than 50 NIS.. A taxi from the airport will cost hundreds of NIS.. Driving time is about 2 hours..
4. All flights arrive at Terminal 3.

How long will you be in Tiberias? What are your plans and how will you travel around the north? Why not spend a few days in Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem before continuing to the Galilee?
Thank you so much for the information, and the web links. Will check them out. We will be arriving and departing by air mid week. So that's good in terms of public transportation.

With 1 roll-on-board luggage (22") and 1 backpack, how far is "Hamifratz" station to the adjacent "Merkazit Mifratz" bus station? 2 minute to 5 minute walk?

Flight arrival terminal 3 and immigration time noted. Thanks.

From bus station in Tiberias to my hotel (Leonardo Plaza), are there uber and taxi readily available? Or do I have to book in advance?

While in Tiberias, we will join with a tour group to tour various places including Jerusalem, Dead Sea, Masada etc.., but no time in TLV. We independently had visited (road trip) a few places in Israel before, including quite a bit of time in Jerusalem.

That said, we've never really visited any places in Tel Aviv. On the tail-end of this tour, we have 1 day in town before flying out. So we will see what we can with limited time. Any suggestion of places to see and eat?

Thank you!
Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

After further digging, I found the following helpful, therefore answer my own Q.

24 Hours in Tel Aviv - Tourist Israel
Old Jun 29, 2023, 4:10 am

As you can see from this map, the Haifa "Mifratz" train and bus stations are on either side of a mall, so the distance is less than 150 m (sorry, but I have never been there so no personal experience):
https://goo.gl/maps/w8m5J5x4jzwNv7zz5

The Leonardo Plaza is about a 10 minute walk from the Tiberias bus station (mostly downhill) so you may prefer to go on foot:
https://goo.gl/maps/H1axXY2ngR4afdw39
In any case, Uber does not operate in Israel. There will almost certainly be taxis waiting near the bus station. Insist that the driver turn on the meter (which he must do by law). You can also install the "GETT" app on your phone. You can use it to order taxis and to pay with credit card. Always ask for a receipt,

Here is my list of things to do and see in Tel-Aviv:
https://tinyurl.com/MbggTelAvv
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:30 am
Original Poster

As you can see from this map, the Haifa "Mifratz" train and bus stations are on either side of a mall, so the distance is less than 150 m (sorry, but I have never been there so no personal experience):
https://goo.gl/maps/w8m5J5x4jzwNv7zz5

The Leonardo Plaza is about a 10 minute walk from the Tiberias bus station (mostly downhill) so you may prefer to go on foot:
https://goo.gl/maps/H1axXY2ngR4afdw39
In any case, Uber does not operate in Israel. There will almost certainly be taxis waiting near the bus station. Insist that the driver turn on the meter (which he must do by law). You can also install the "GETT" app on your phone. You can use it to order taxis and to pay with credit card. Always ask for a receipt,

Thank you very much for the detailed info and your suggestions.
Will install the "GETT" app.
I will read through your most comprehensive list about Tel-Aviv. I am particularly interested in Bauhaus, and couple of museums. The port area and the markets are all possibilities!
But I have only fraction of 1 day in Tel-Aviv!
Old Jun 30, 2023, 10:20 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald

Excellent recommendations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.