Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Going to DOH for World Cup?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM

Hi all - i know i'm a bit early here but looking to head to Qatar for World Cup 2022 end of November and just wondering if anyone had UAL advice/Star advice on best routings? As of now I get options through FRA for like 5x the cost of other airlines (starting from IAH or LAX) - was surprised at a lack of IAH-DOH options.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA does nor serve DOH, so you will have to use a partner to get to DOH. This far out UA trends to hold high prices longer than most.

Key questions:
What cabin?

Have you looked booking directly on LH or TK sites?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA does nor serve DOH, so you will have to use a partner to get to DOH. This far out UA trends to hold high prices longer than most.

Key questions:
What cabin?

Have you looked booking directly on LH or TK sites?
Yeah i am maybe foolishly holding out hope for the WC people increase frequency - and it's frankly early but i was looking at Y (and finding $7.5k with LH) - so I am checking LH, TK, and actually AC seems to be okay but requires an extra stop
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I’m flying to Abu Dhabi first for F1. Staying somewhere else and flying in and out after matches since no places to stay.

using *A miles to get there then just booking partners using cash.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 12:03 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
I’m flying to Abu Dhabi first for F1.
We'll actually be flying out of AUH (to DOH) during the F1 race on the 20th. I couldn't drum up interest with Mrs. nnn to attend the race itself. Not a big deal, though, as none of us knows basically anything about auto racing.

Staying somewhere else and flying in and out after matches since no places to stay.
Hotels in Doha will be made available. They are just not up yet. You can actually get a hotel in Doha now, but you have to book a hospitality match ticket (at inflated prices, yes). I wanted to lock in our accommodations, so I bought a hospitality match ticket (Team USA Group match #1) and that opened up the right to book up to a 7-night stay in Doha. The hotels are overpriced as well, but that is to be expected as accommodations in Doha are shaping up to be the bottleneck for this WC. (Now just waiting for ticket sales to open up.)

using *A miles to get there then just booking partners using cash.
Couldn't find a good option in J to use my UA miles to DOH. Didn't want to make two stops. So I transferred a boatload of Amex points to EK and booked n/s SFO-DXB-SFO in J for the fam.
dcsnowwake likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by nnn
We'll actually be flying out of AUH (to DOH) during the F1 race on the 20th. I couldn't drum up interest with Mrs. nnn to attend the race itself. Not a big deal, though, as none of us knows basically anything about auto racing.

Hotels in Doha will be made available. They are just not up yet. You can actually get a hotel in Doha now, but you have to book a hospitality match ticket (at inflated prices, yes). I wanted to lock in our accommodations, so I bought a hospitality match ticket (Team USA Group match #1) and that opened up the right to book up to a 7-night stay in Doha. The hotels are overpriced as well, but that is to be expected as accommodations in Doha are shaping up to be the bottleneck for this WC. (Now just waiting for ticket sales to open up.)

Couldn't find a good option in J to use my UA miles to DOH. Didn't want to make two stops. So I transferred a boatload of Amex points to EK and booked n/s SFO-DXB-SFO in J for the fam.
sign up through Sammers supporters group, we will be able to get tickets through US soccer without paying blackmail fee.

If Doha opens up and isn’t $1k/night I’ll stay but planning on staying elsewhere as is a lot of other supporters.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
for those less familiar, more US nationals have bought tickets for each of the past three world cups (apart from the host countries) than any other nationality.

there's probably enough demand for a few special widebody flights by UA, but US-DOH is already well covered by QR and other existing links via EU connections that can be upgauged.
Auto Enthusiast and nnn like this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by riphamilton
for those less familiar, more US nationals have bought tickets for each of the past three world cups (apart from the host countries) than any other nationality.

there's probably enough demand for a few special widebody flights by UA, but US-DOH is already well covered by QR and other existing links via EU connections that can be upgauged.
Doubt they would increase flights for this. I have attended 3 of last 4, they never increased for those, and thats not Qatar where most will not be able to have a place to stay, nor most supporters could afford. All the others were price sensative for the normal US Supporter. This will be the least attended from the US world cup in ages and by far the most expensive.

Luckily lots of flights from other *A partners to get in and out.
Now if only EgyptAir would serve alcohol!
nnn likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 8:50 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
If Doha opens up and isn’t $1k/night I’ll stay but planning on staying elsewhere as is a lot of other supporters.
Unless you're using *A miles on MS or whatever to come and go, the flights in and out of DOH could end up costing more than just staying in Doha. Those will be high-demand flights, I suspect, unless the the airlines of that region dramatically increase capacity. It's not clear if the political issues between Qatar and UAE etc. will pose obstacles in increasing capacity (there were no flights to/from UAE until recently).

Meanwhile, the cheapest hotels in Doha are in the $500-600/night range through FIFA/Match Hospitality, at least for the first week of the group stage. So far you can only book them if you buy a hospitality ticket. Probably also easier to knock out more games by staying locally.

Now if only EgyptAir would serve alcohol!
EgyptAir is the least of our worries ... that will be a problem in Qatar too.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 5:12 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
Originally Posted by nnn
Meanwhile, the cheapest hotels in Doha are in the $500-600/night range through FIFA/Match Hospitality, at least for the first week of the group stage. So far you can only book them if you buy a hospitality ticket.
I am also struggling with these blackmail prices. The question is: will the hotel prices be any cheaper as soon as bookings open up for the public?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Doha/Qatar only has about 30,000 hotel rooms altogether, with a few thousand more slated to come online this year.
There'll be much more demand than supply for duration of the tournament, and I would not count on prices going down
Old Jan 29, 2022, 9:30 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
Yeah, so I am really wondering whether we should go at all. Paying extreme prices for a an overcrowded city/beach to watch one group game.

Interesting article about it here: https://skift.com/2021/11/18/qatar-i...-of-world-cup/

Qatar will have fewer than 50,000 hotel rooms ready by next November, according to estimates by Qatar Tourism, a government body that sets strategy and regulates tourism. And not all hotel rooms will be available to fans as many have been reserved for players and FIFA officials, hotel sources said.
Then fitting to that another nice snippet from here: https://www.dohanews.co/will-qatar-h...orld-cup-fans/

With 32 teams playing in the group stage for 12 days, Qatar anticipates 559,000 visitors flying to the Gulf state and a peak of 276,000 ticket holders from 27-to-28 November, who will also require an estimate of 129,000 rooms.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I would look at staying in Bahrain, Abu Dhabi or Dubai and fly in for the games.
The blockade is history, things have gone back to normal. QR is flying DOH-DXB with 777s these days...
Old Feb 2, 2022, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Missed opportunity.

I was living in Doha and thought it's a great opportunity to show my wife Qatar and visit one or two games but flying in from Dubai with a toddler just for a game? Naaa.

Of course I expected higher prices (compared to the normally super low rates in QA for a good hotel) but what is quoted here seems to be a rip off.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by bhomburg
I would look at staying in Bahrain, Abu Dhabi or Dubai and fly in for the games.
The blockade is history, things have gone back to normal. QR is flying DOH-DXB with 777s these days...
I don't think Bahrein has any services to Doha currently and Abu Dhabi offers only a couple of flights each day. Dubai has more, Qatar and AirDubai are operating - but tickets are pricey. If you are intent on this strategy, maybe Sharjah would be worth looking at with cheaper flights by Air Arabia.

Of course things might change before kick-off. But I wouldn't count on UAE working towards making a success out of Qatar's bid for sporting glory: the blockade dissolved, but things aren't exactly sweetness and light between the two states.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.