Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Going to DOH for World Cup?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going to DOH for World Cup?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:17 pm

Tickets on sale 5 July at 11AM CET.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond
A few updates from my experience…I will be attending USA-Wales, USA-England, and a few other matches. I booked accommodations through fifa and have 3 bedroom apartments for 3 nights around the 2 games. Rate was appx $550 USD per night for the apartment. There are many apartments still available. I saw that there are hotels in the $200 per night range through Fifa. (I believe 2 night minimum).

I had contacted a few hotels directly. One recently responded that they are able to make some rooms available but for 5 night minimum. I would guess that we will see other hotels showing additional availability if FIFA isn’t able to fill them through their hospitality program

there are still some matches available through FIFA (very limited) including USA matches if you sign up as a supporter through US Soccer

I used a combo of Etihad points (transferred through Amex) and cash for flights to Abu Dhabi between the US matches. Etihad flights are still very expensive, but Qatar had some $300 round trip flights. You can search SHJ, DXB and AUH if you are interested in UAE.

I was pleasantly surprised by the low hotel rates in Abu Dhabi
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:16 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by nnn
We'll actually be flying out of AUH (to DOH) during the F1 race on the 20th. I couldn't drum up interest with Mrs. nnn to attend the race itself. Not a big deal, though, as none of us knows basically anything about auto racing.
Change of plans. We will see the F1 race, then head to Doha right afterward. (Netflix show was a nice primer. ) Week in Doha with 12 matches, including the first two USA games. Then back to Dubai for a few days and will take the Match Day Shuttle back into Doha for the third USA group stage match, USA v. IRN. Super excited.

Originally Posted by spainflyer
Is this a recipe for chaos?? Even if Doha Airport can handle the flights, what will immigration look like? Or are we just going to pass on that formality
There have been reports that the Match Day Shuttles will fly into the old Doha airport (DIA), not Hamad (DOH). They are rehabbing DIA for this purpose. My one Match Day Shuttle flight confirmation says DOH, but I suspect this will change to DIA in due course. I also suspect they will institute some sort of expedited screening for Match Day Shuttle passengers, otherwise it may be chaos with the number of passengers. For example, on the Dubai side they will be using DWC, not DXB. I can see them doing some sort of pre-clearance or expedited screening for the shuttle passengers. (That will be nice, because we are scheduled to arrive in Doha at 3 pm for a 10 pm match, and I don't want any major delays to ruin my day.) But those logistics have not been announced yet, so we will see.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:44 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nnn
Change of plans. We will see the F1 race, then head to Doha right afterward. (Netflix show was a nice primer. ) Week in Doha with 12 matches, including the first two USA games. Then back to Dubai for a few days and will take the Match Day Shuttle back into Doha for the third USA group stage match, USA v. IRN. Super excited.

There have been reports that the Match Day Shuttles will fly into the old Doha airport (DIA), not Hamad (DOH). They are rehabbing DIA for this purpose. My one Match Day Shuttle flight confirmation says DOH, but I suspect this will change to DIA in due course. I also suspect they will institute some sort of expedited screening for Match Day Shuttle passengers, otherwise it may be chaos with the number of passengers. For example, on the Dubai side they will be using DWC, not DXB. I can see them doing some sort of pre-clearance or expedited screening for the shuttle passengers. (That will be nice, because we are scheduled to arrive in Doha at 3 pm for a 10 pm match, and I don't want any major delays to ruin my day.) But those logistics have not been announced yet, so we will see.
DWC, a passenger flight albatross (save for those Russian charters, I think). Flew out of there once; I will stick to DXB T3.

However, World Cup shuttle flights, now they're cooking with gas. And reusing xDOH, does that mean a temporarily revived Premium Terminal?
nnn likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt, Marriott
I tried to book hyatt or Marriott hotel in Doha for 5-day stay around Dec. 9-14. Anyone has experience about the hotel situation during semi-final compared to group matches? Is it easier or more difficult to find hotel rooms?

Just want earn stay credit and points for my stay do not want to pay higher price for nothing.

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2022, 2:47 pm

I see additional tickets for matches available now. And they also offer a resale portal with similar ticket prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.