7 Days in Egypt

Old Sep 13, 20, 10:13 am
Original Poster

A few other comments:
* The pyramids at Saqqara & Dashur are worth visiting. Many tourists skip them but these were the first pyramids and you can see how they got better at pyramid building. Step Pyramid, Bent Pyramid, Red Pyramid

* We took a book that had illustrations of what the temples and sites looked like originally, or at least what they are thought to have looked like. This made a big difference in bringing things to life and literally helps you visualize when you are there. Everything looks brown and sand colored now but that was not the case originally. Of course, the inside of many tombs still reflect the amazing color.

* Go with at least a bit of ancient Egyptian history knowledge. Know that the pyramids are 4500(!) years old and that what you see at Luxor was built over 1000 years later. And then the temples you visit between Aswan and Luxor (Philae, Kom Ombu, Edfu Temple of Horus) are from yet another time. The amazing sites you see in Egypt are not just from one point in time, they were built in different periods/eras spread over 2000 years.

Last edited by 49er; Sep 13, 20 at 10:20 am
Old Sep 21, 20, 11:10 am

Has anyone traveled to Egypt recently, since the Covid-19 PCR test requirements. I'm wondering how it worked out and the procedures in place on arrival. Hope to go after the new year.
Old Sep 22, 20, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
Has anyone traveled to Egypt recently, since the Covid-19 PCR test requirements. I'm wondering how it worked out and the procedures in place on arrival. Hope to go after the new year.
I am wondering the same thing. I am due to go to Cairo from the USA on October 6 and still uncertain if I will decide to go or not....I'm supposed to transit through Amsterdam on the way out and Paris on the way back. I'm also wondering what experiences people have had transiting in the EU to a non-EU country!!
Old Sep 25, 20, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by kierstenann View Post
I am wondering the same thing. I am due to go to Cairo from the USA on October 6 and still uncertain if I will decide to go or not....I'm supposed to transit through Amsterdam on the way out and Paris on the way back. I'm also wondering what experiences people have had transiting in the EU to a non-EU country!!
Good luck with your plans. So far, all my plans have failed for 2020 travel. Upcoming cruises still being cancelled, Rio Carnival 2021 cancelled, Dubai Expo postponed until next October. Was planning to go to all of these. Right now, Egypt is still number one on my list for departing in January and staying at least 30 days. I found a place (Quest Labs) here in Mexico which is based out of the US, that do PCR tests for 140usd. I plan on taking the test and get the results and then immediately book a flight for the following day. The prices are about $300 more for a last minute flight but it beats being stressed out that the test results come back too late for a pre-ticketed flight or I test positive and can't go. Good luck 👍

Search this Thread
Search Engine: