Search

Oman Visa Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by :D!
So to confirm, you (plural) US and EU passport holders have been allowed to board QR flights to Oman in 2019, without getting visas in advance, and were allowed to buy the visas when arriving in MCT using OMR cash?

Can you clarify the process at the new airport? Are there many people buying visas on arrival or do most people do the e-visa?

Any other airlines, and any other airports besides MCT?
1. Yes, OMR cash works. And bank cards are an option to pay too, at least cards with PINs. [I have OMR cash, but it’s not always easy to get outside of the region and some other places unless planning in advance. I don’t know if there is a currency exchange in the area between the arrival gates and passport control at MCT, as I don’t recall seeing any and wasn’t looking for any, but I think I saw an ATM machine or some other kiosk somewhere in the area facing the visa on arrivals counter or just nearby to it, and maybe it could have been a cash dispensing machine.]
2. There is a visa on arrivals counter (usually staffed by two people) where you pay and get the visa on arrival receipt/paper. This is in a relatively open area before heading to the passport control line area. There were 0-9 persons in line ahead at the visa on arrivals desk when we have been doing it this year at the new MCT airport, but we are so late to get to the passport control area and visa on arrivals area after landing — nothing to do with MCT/Oman in particular — that I can’t speak to what proportion of passengers on my flights were using visa on arrival. The passport control line processing took longer than the visa on arrival acquisition process even when there were no passengers ahead of us in line.
3. For us, just coming into MCT. Mainly coming in from DOH on QR, but not only. I don’t go to Salalah, but I would be surprised if it doesn’t have much the same kind of thing too given it gets some European charter tourist flights, including from some relatively poorer parts of the EU.

The new MCT airport seems to be the cleanest airport I’ve ever seen.
:D! likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 29, 2019 at 11:25 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
In my experiences, it wasn't enforced for us.
I ended up booking the cheapest hotel room I could find (~£20) just to be on the safe side. Didn't get asked for any proof but better safe than sorry. At least I had somewhere to take a shower then store my bags whilst I explored the city LOL.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don’t know if there is a currency exchange in the area between the arrival gates and passport control at MCT, as I don’t recall seeing any and wasn’t looking for any, but I think I saw an ATM machine or some other kiosk somewhere in the area facing the visa on arrivals counter or just nearby to it, and maybe it could have been a cash dispensing machine.]
There is definitely an ATM pretty much opposite the visa on arrival counter - I used it to get some OMR to pay for a taxi.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by :D!
So to confirm, you (plural) US and EU passport holders have been allowed to board QR flights to Oman in 2019, without getting visas in advance, and were allowed to buy the visas when arriving in MCT using OMR cash?

Can you clarify the process at the new airport? Are there many people buying visas on arrival or do most people do the e-visa?

Any other airlines, and any other airports besides MCT?
Oman has largely ditched the attempts to enforce the e-visa regime for all nationalities/passport holders, and has back-tracked on the elimination of short term OMR5 visas.

Many people take up the e-visa option, i guess because it can save time on arrival. Still there's usually a queue at the VOA desk, but it's a slick operation.

I wouldn't sweat this too much. I visit frequently and I haven't experienced problems at my departure airport. No Omani immigration official has made me feel uneasy, unwelcome or quizzed me on hotel arrangements: indeed they have been consistently helpful.

I'm not sure why the UK government website suggests you should arrange a visa in advance. Both US and Canadian equivalent sites advise of the existence of visas on arrival.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Oman has largely ditched the attempts to enforce the e-visa regime for all nationalities/passport holders, and has back-tracked on the elimination of short term OMR5 visas.

Many people take up the e-visa option, i guess because it can save time on arrival. Still there's usually a queue at the VOA desk, but it's a slick operation.

I wouldn't sweat this too much. I visit frequently and I haven't experienced problems at my departure airport. No Omani immigration official has made me feel uneasy, unwelcome or quizzed me on hotel arrangements: indeed they have been consistently helpful.

I'm not sure why the UK government website suggests you should arrange a visa in advance. Both US and Canadian equivalent sites advise of the existence of visas on arrival.
I ditched the evisa option as I didn’t want to deal with getting a printout and because getting the evisas was turning out to be more time consuming on my side than just doing the VOAs. And I am certain that at least in my case the VOA option encouraged visits to Oman that would have been otherwise postponed or not taken place even with an evisa option.
:D! likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Anyone have very recent experience of getting a VOA if you are a British Citizen flying in from the UK
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
Anyone have very recent experience of getting a VOA if you are a British Citizen flying in from the UK
You're OK. But as with all things visa related, the problem is what the airline makes of the situation. If their reading is that a visa is required you could have a problem at LHR.

On balance it might be better to knuckle down and get an Evisa. It's not that much hard work, you save time at MCT and you avoid a £2 administration fee
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You're OK. But as with all things visa related, the problem is what the airline makes of the situation. If their reading is that a visa is required you could have a problem at LHR.

On balance it might be better to knuckle down and get an Evisa. It's not that much hard work, you save time at MCT and you avoid a £2 administration fee
Do you know if you need to upload a copy of your passport and/or current photo of yourself on Oman's E-VISA website when you apply for a visa?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Do you know if you need to upload a copy of your passport and/or current photo of yourself on Oman's E-VISA website when you apply for a visa?
Unless things have changed, you need a scan of the principal page of your passport and a digital photo. You also need to register on the website before you begin your application.

Given the number of countries using this type of visa, all needing passport scan and photo, it's maybe a good idea to have these two items tucked away in a file on your computer.

In applying, please do be careful to avoid the sharks that try to mislead you into using - and paying for - their services to submit your visa (unless, of course, you somehow place value on the additional services they offer).

The official online link through the Royal Oman Police (ROP) is:
https://evisa.rop.gov.om
Old May 12, 2019, 7:04 am

US citizen here. I tried for an e-visa in January. Completed the application, uploaded my passport and a separate passport quality photo, paid the fee. The separate photo was not accepted - 'not clear'. I tried twice more with different pictures and got the 'not clear' both times. Gave up and received a VOA, so I had to essentially pay the fee twice. (I didn't want to argue at the VOA counter - it was 3 AM and there was a language barrier.) The other unclear part was that I had good information that if I was stamped into Qatar, I would not need a VOA for Oman. I was stamped into Qatar (left the airport) 24 hours earlier, but the VOA counter seemed to have no knowledge of that either. Note that QR did not inquire as to my visa status when I checked-in at IAD.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by lamphs
US citizen here. I tried for an e-visa in January. Completed the application, uploaded my passport and a separate passport quality photo, paid the fee. The separate photo was not accepted - 'not clear'. I tried twice more with different pictures and got the 'not clear' both times. Gave up and received a VOA, so I had to essentially pay the fee twice. (I didn't want to argue at the VOA counter - it was 3 AM and there was a language barrier.) The other unclear part was that I had good information that if I was stamped into Qatar, I would not need a VOA for Oman. I was stamped into Qatar (left the airport) 24 hours earlier, but the VOA counter seemed to have no knowledge of that either. Note that QR did not inquire as to my visa status when I checked-in at IAD.
Thanks for providing your experience. I'm thinking now to just get a VOA and not deal with any glitches. I'll be flying from Dubai to Muscat and I've read that having a recent UAE visa stamped in your passport would make getting a VOA in Oman easier. I guess I'll find out.

Question.....was the VOA in Oman a pretty seamless process after everything was said a done?
Old May 12, 2019, 2:02 pm

Thanks for providing your experience. I'm thinking now to just get a VOA and not deal with any glitches. I'll be flying from Dubai to Muscat and I've read that having a recent UAE visa stamped in your passport would make getting a VOA in Oman easier. I guess I'll find out.

Question.....was the VOA in Oman a pretty seamless process after everything was said a done?
Yes, it was very fast, albeit it was 3 AM and I was the only customer. I believe that I paid in OMR with my credit card.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other unclear part was that I had good information that if I was stamped into Qatar, I would not need a VOA for Oman.

I was stamped into Qatar (left the airport) 24 hours earlier, but the VOA counter seemed to have no knowledge of that either. Note that QR did not inquire as to my visa status when I checked-in at IAD.
I believe Qatar and Oman still have a common visa agreement. But it seems not be as easy to implement as the Dubai common visa. One difficulty is that some nationalities are admitted to Qatar without the formality of a visa, and Oman can refuse to recognise that status.

In any case, the visa on arrival desk is there to sell you a visa. The agents are not immigration officials: you'd need to take the Qatar question to the immigration desk to get it resolved. My last entry on a Dubai visa was a challenge at the immigration desk, and required the intervention of a supervisor.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no difficulty in getting a visa on arrival. If that is that you want, recent stamps from UAE will make not a jot of difference. The visa on arrival desk is separate from the immigration facility. Agents at the VOA desk will give a your passport a cursory inspection to assess the visa rate, and then sell you the visa. Pay by cash or credit card and its all over in a minute or so. You then move over to the immigration lines were the official has the final say of whether you are welcomed into Oman: here, your documents are formally inspected and you are stamped into the country.

The e-visa advantages are simply that it is a little cheaper than the VOA, and avoids the slight hassle of going through the above process. Some prefer to move the hassle a spare half hour at home.

================================================== ======

If you want (free) entry under a common visa agreement, it's not a UAE visa you need, it's a Dubai visa: and you must travel to Oman directly from Dubai.

If you ant to follo this path, it's probably a good idea to tell the immigration agent at Dubai that you are going to Oman and want to the appropriate visa to allow you to use the common entry agreement between the two countries.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:11 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The other unclear part was that I had good information that if I was stamped into Qatar, I would not need a VOA for Oman. I was stamped into Qatar (left the airport) 24 hours earlier
You needed to have purchased the Qatar-Oman joint visa from the Qatari immigration agent, which AFAIK is supposed to cost QAR 50 (= OMR 5.282).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.