Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Private driver AMM - Dead Sea - Petra

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold

I've been scouring the web and only found overpriced transfer services, or read about the possibility of a taxi from AMM airport to Petra. Renting a car is not an option.

Arriving at AMM with the QR flight at noon, and need to be in Petra that night. The plan is to spend a couple of hours at the Dead Sea, and then maybe see some sights along the way.

Has anyone any experience with this? Are taxi drivers at the airport willing to do this? Can one use Uber for the same? Obviously the driver needs to be reliable, but I don't fancy paying $200 for a pre-arranged "tour".

I guess my worst case scenario if I don't pre-arrange something is to take a taxi to the Dead Sea and another taxi to Petra afterwards - it would be good to have some advice from someone else who has done something similar. Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The route you propose is a 4 to 5 hour drive in addition to whatever sightseeing you plan to do. Then 3 more hours for the driver to take the highway back to Amman after he drops you off. If there's a reliable company offering this for $200, that sounds like a pretty reasonable deal to me.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
We paid $160 for a car and driver from the Marriott Jordan Valley to Aqaba, a roughly similar distance but with no sightseeing en route, less than a year ago. They were arranged for by a Jordanian guide who knew the going rate and assured us they would be reliable. (They were.) I'd say that makes $200 with a two-hour stop sound about right.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:17 am

While it's not exactly the same, a driver for the day from Aqaba to Petra (and back) was about 80JD 2 years ago or so, that would be roughly 110$ USD, so 200$ for double the distance sounds reasonable enough.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Thanks! I reached out to the hotel I'm staying at in Petra as well as a few recommended drivers from TA, and works out in the $140-150 range...
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Originally Posted by ung1
Thanks! I reached out to the hotel I'm staying at in Petra as well as a few recommended drivers from TA, and works out in the $140-150 range...

Was just wondering if you ever did this and if you were happy with your driver and would mind sharing his contact? Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by odie11
Was just wondering if you ever did this and if you were happy with your driver and would mind sharing his contact? Thanks!
Look up @visitpetra on Instagram, or email [email protected]

He is a dentist in Amman who speaks excellent English. His wife is Russian, and has a travel agency in Amman, so he personally gives the English speakers the tours. He also can give you an excellent tour of Amman too, as he's very passionate about both.

Edit: he can also do same day veneers in his office 😁
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Originally Posted by bsagator
Look up @visitpetra on Instagram, or email [email protected]

He is a dentist in Amman who speaks excellent English. His wife is Russian, and has a travel agency in Amman, so he personally gives the English speakers the tours. He also can give you an excellent tour of Amman too, as he's very passionate about both.

Edit: he can also do same day veneers in his office 😁
Great! Thank you! I'll take a pass on the veneers though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.