Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UBER in Cairo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
UBER in Cairo

Has anyone used this ride service instead of traditional taxis? I'm doing my first night at the Meridien CAI since I get in on the late night BA flight, but then heading city centre to the IC on the Nile for two nights. Have heard bad things about Cairo taxis and hotel limousines, so see Uber as an alternative. Also makes dealing with paying much easier.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Has anyone used this ride service instead of traditional taxis? I'm doing my first night at the Meridien CAI since I get in on the late night BA flight, but then heading city centre to the IC on the Nile for two nights. Have heard bad things about Cairo taxis and hotel limousines, so see Uber as an alternative. Also makes dealing with paying much easier.
I've used both Uber and Careem a lot in Cairo, and have a marginal preference for Uber. Careem can be useful for arranging the journey in advance.

From the airport it can be difficult arranging/locating a pick up, but from the hotel you shouldn't have a problem.

I had difficulty getting picked-up at the Semiramis last week, but that was Careem and down to the driver not understanding how to get to, and through, the hotel's security faff: he parked behind the hotel and waited for me to find him. Not all divers of either of the companies know the ins and outs of the city like he back of their hands...

If there is a problem, at least you are in a comfortable position: just cancel and try again.

PS as you say, payment through to app is simplifies things. But fares are extremely low. An LE10 or 20 note will give much happiness to the driver. Just saying!

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jan 20, 2018 at 12:45 am
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thanks for the update. Should be no problem at the Meridien for pick-up to the city centre but will keep in mind the possible problem at the IC. In countries where the fare is ridiculously low by our standards, I always give the driver something in cash, though they often try to refuse but do take it. This was before the tip option was added to Uber (though I find it is abused in the US). BTW your posts on the other threads related to the IC and Cairo have been useful to prepare me. Until next weekend I'll only have been out by the airport for overnight flight connections.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Shareholder
..other threads related to the IC and Cairo have been useful to prepare me.
... and on that issue - no idea how important gym use is to your stays, but Semiramis is still refurbing its health club. They converted a couple of rooms to house running/treadmill devices and were offering transfers to and from the Kempinski for gym, sauna etc. The other IC (Citystars) has an absolutely splendid facility.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
... and on that issue - no idea how important gym use is to your stays, but Semiramis is still refurbing its health club. They converted a couple of rooms to house running/treadmill devices and were offering transfers to and from the Kempinski for gym, sauna etc. The other IC (Citystars) has an absolutely splendid facility.
Appreciate the heads up with this but for 2 nights I can survive without such facilities. I'll be doing enough walking around "the neighbourhood" and across on the island to keep up my daily targets.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Uber is great in CAI. I had zero issue from the airport to FM heliopolis, then to Pyramids, back to hotel and back to airport.

Airport driver did pick up in the lot outside T3 (by LM) rather than curbside, but no issue.

VERY very cheap.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:33 am

I do recommend using it from the Cairo international airport, Almost of driver / captains are cultured men, polite and could speak English. Just to advise you to have local currency before arriving Cairo to pay them. In case you do not have, be informed that 1 USD = 17.50 EGP and avoid to change from airport as the rate goes too low
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Both my experiences were good and surprisingly inexpensive: from the airport Méridien (arrived very late so stayed there the first night) to the IC on the Nile and back a few days later. E£87 which is about U$5. Gave each driver E£20 cash tip which was reluctantly but appreciatively accepted. Thanks for the information Ian-UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.