FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UBER in Cairo
Thread: UBER in Cairo
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:37 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Has anyone used this ride service instead of traditional taxis? I'm doing my first night at the Meridien CAI since I get in on the late night BA flight, but then heading city centre to the IC on the Nile for two nights. Have heard bad things about Cairo taxis and hotel limousines, so see Uber as an alternative. Also makes dealing with paying much easier.
I've used both Uber and Careem a lot in Cairo, and have a marginal preference for Uber. Careem can be useful for arranging the journey in advance.

From the airport it can be difficult arranging/locating a pick up, but from the hotel you shouldn't have a problem.

I had difficulty getting picked-up at the Semiramis last week, but that was Careem and down to the driver not understanding how to get to, and through, the hotel's security faff: he parked behind the hotel and waited for me to find him. Not all divers of either of the companies know the ins and outs of the city like he back of their hands...

If there is a problem, at least you are in a comfortable position: just cancel and try again.

PS as you say, payment through to app is simplifies things. But fares are extremely low. An LE10 or 20 note will give much happiness to the driver. Just saying!

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jan 20, 2018 at 12:45 am