Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Transportation from Dubai to Abu Dhabi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards

I will be flying into DXB later this year and then departing from AUH six days later. What's the best method of transportation to get from Dubai to Abu Dhabi? Does Etihad offer any sort of shuttle for passengers?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
They run a bus from their Dubai office (near Mall of the Emirates from memory) to AUH. Not sure about the timing and any eligibility requirements, but should be on the website.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reds2011
They run a bus from their Dubai office (near Mall of the Emirates from memory) to AUH. Not sure about the timing and any eligibility requirements, but should be on the website.
I'll get on there and check it out. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's not very far, you know; taxis are cheap and easy.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Define 'best' ? Fastest, cheapest, most comfortable ?

EY has a free bus/coach service but you should book; it has a 'flight' number like a connecting flight. See: https://www.etihad.com/en-ae/plan-an...tihad-express/ . Departure is from Etihad Travel Mall on Sheikh Zayed Road in Dubai (it's on Google maps) which is a short walk from the metro.

I would expect around $60 in a metered taxi. They're ok if you're used to driving standards in the region. Uber is also available, if your conscience permits

Your hotel will also have suggestions that may or may not be good value for money.

The public bus would require a trip into Abu Dhabi centre and back out again. Time consuming but it will only cost around $10.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
Define 'best' ? Fastest, cheapest, most comfortable ?

EY has a free bus/coach service but you should book; it has a 'flight' number like a connecting flight. See: https://www.etihad.com/en-ae/plan-an...tihad-express/ . Departure is from Etihad Travel Mall on Sheikh Zayed Road in Dubai (it's on Google maps) which is a short walk from the metro.

I would expect around $60 in a metered taxi. They're ok if you're used to driving standards in the region. Uber is also available, if your conscience permits

Your hotel will also have suggestions that may or may not be good value for money.

The public bus would require a trip into Abu Dhabi centre and back out again. Time consuming but it will only cost around $10.
Well I was looking for the most time efficient method. I think my best bet right now would probably be a taxi ride or an Uber. I haven't booked where I'm staying yet so that may be a possibility down the line too.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA
The Etihad free bus from Dubai works very well. It's not just a bus stop on the kerb but a proper small terminal, with Etihad ticket counter, check-in and baggage handling through to destination, etc, and can be very quick to work through these aspects. I've not taken the bus but have delivered colleagues there who have done.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
The Etihad free bus from Dubai works very well. It's not just a bus stop on the kerb but a proper small terminal, with Etihad ticket counter, check-in and baggage handling through to destination, etc, and can be very quick to work through these aspects. I've not taken the bus but have delivered colleagues there who have done.
The only issue I have with the bus is I can't take it more than 24 hours in advance of my flight. My goal is to get to Abu Dhabi three days before I depart so I can spend some time exploring.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
>> My goal is to get to Abu Dhabi three days before I depart so I can spend some time exploring.

Aha @:-)

Be aware that AUH is a good 20 miles outside the city, en route *from* Dubai. So if you take transportation to AUH, you'll then need to get into the city. Unless you're staying near the airport of course (e.g. Yas, Al Raha). Add another $10 to the cab fare.

I'm a great supporter of the public transport system, and the bus between the cities is very good -- cheap, fast, frequent, reclining seats, a/c, free wifi, space for bags, etc. It goes from centre to centre and you don't have to chat to the driver about cricket for an hour Google maps has schedules: look for service E100 or E101. Then a quick $3-4 taxi from the AD bus station to your hotel.

Maybe hold off on this decision until you know where you'll be staying in each city; they're both pretty sprawled out now and much will depend on your precise origin and destination points.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by PassengerPoldberg
The only issue I have with the bus is I can't take it more than 24 hours in advance of my flight. My goal is to get to Abu Dhabi three days before I depart so I can spend some time exploring.
@sharp5flat9 has it right. There's regular & buses between the cities - just take one of them. Not to mention the airport surcharge on taxis from AUH, which is about $7.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
>> My goal is to get to Abu Dhabi three days before I depart so I can spend some time exploring.

Aha @:-)

Be aware that AUH is a good 20 miles outside the city, en route *from* Dubai. So if you take transportation to AUH, you'll then need to get into the city. Unless you're staying near the airport of course (e.g. Yas, Al Raha). Add another $10 to the cab fare.

I'm a great supporter of the public transport system, and the bus between the cities is very good -- cheap, fast, frequent, reclining seats, a/c, free wifi, space for bags, etc. It goes from centre to centre and you don't have to chat to the driver about cricket for an hour Google maps has schedules: look for service E100 or E101. Then a quick $3-4 taxi from the AD bus station to your hotel.

Maybe hold off on this decision until you know where you'll be staying in each city; they're both pretty sprawled out now and much will depend on your precise origin and destination points.
Definitely need to figure out where the heck I'm staying before I make any decisions, but I appreciate all of the info! Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.