Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Heading to Zighy Bay - which is best for arrivals DXB, DWC or SHJ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: free agent

I'm going to Zighy Bay, Oman and will likely be flying QR via DOH. I have equally-priced options to fly to DXB, DWC or SHJ that all arrive about the same time. The QR flight to RKT arrives several hours later so probably isn't a good option for me.

I've been through DXB a few times and even with the Marhaba service afforded to BA GGLs, have had to wait up to an hour to get through immigration. Given the cost and timing is the same, which is the best bet to get through the airport quickly and get on my way? Any issues with ground transportation I should consider (planning on pre-booking a car)?

I'll be leaving from AUH, so departure facilities are not important to me.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:59 am

It could take an hour to drive from DWC to DXB (traffic jam, crashes, etc), so no saving there. Could easily take an hour to then drive on to SHJ if there's been a crash, so best to fly in to SHJ and avoid the chaos of Dubai.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Know traffic can get bad on Sheikh Zayed Road, does traffic ever get too bad on Emirates Rd? Was thinking if I few into DWC that I could bypass Dubai and Sharjah all together. Is that a poor strategy? The only reason I thought I might pick DWC over SHJ was comments that I read here about how immigration formalities were very expedient at DWC and the opposite at SHJ.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
DWC has never been crowded in my experiences there. Immigration will be extremely quick and there is no traffic in the area. You will be really close to Emirates road as well - the traffic there never reaches Sheikh Zayed road levels until you reach Mirdiff City Center.

For ground transportation to Dubai and around, taxis are easily available - not too sure if you plan on taking a taxi to the hotel; that might prove to be a bit complicated.

Ro
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RohanDXB
DWC has never been crowded in my experiences there. Immigration will be extremely quick and there is no traffic in the area. You will be really close to Emirates road as well - the traffic there never reaches Sheikh Zayed road levels until you reach Mirdiff City Center.

For ground transportation to Dubai and around, taxis are easily available - not too sure if you plan on taking a taxi to the hotel; that might prove to be a bit complicated.

Ro
That's great info, thanks.

Anyone been through SHJ? I've read horror stories about going through immigration there (2-3 hours), but also just today read that one can sometimes make it though in as little as 12 minutes. According to Google Maps, when there is no traffic, DWC is about 33 minutes further away from the resort than SHJ...

Last edited by pareto; Jan 26, 2017 at 5:16 pm
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by pareto
Anyone been through SHJ? I've read horror stories about going through immigration there (2-3 hours), but also just today read that one can sometimes make it though in as little as 12 minutes.
I go through Sharjah regularly and it is much more convenient than DXB/DWC/AUH if your schedule works. I've never had immigration waits longer than a few minutes either - can't imagine why or how people would be stuck there for 2-3 hours. The immigration hall isn't even large enough to hold 2-3 hours worth of waiting people! My usual touchdown to carpark timeline at Sharjah is 10 minutes or less with carry-ons only.

If you are really worried about immigration delays you can book "Hala" services which is the equivalent of Dubai's Marhaba. That will get you Meet and Assist plus Fast Track immigration.

https://www.hala-services.com/
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
I go through Sharjah regularly and it is much more convenient than DXB/DWC/AUH if your schedule works. I've never had immigration waits longer than a few minutes either - can't imagine why or how people would be stuck there for 2-3 hours. The immigration hall isn't even large enough to hold 2-3 hours worth of waiting people! My usual touchdown to carpark timeline at Sharjah is 10 minutes or less with carry-ons only.

If you are really worried about immigration delays you can book "Hala" services which is the equivalent of Dubai's Marhaba. That will get you Meet and Assist plus Fast Track immigration.

https://www.hala-services.com/
That settles it, we'll book Sharjah. We'll save a good 30+ minutes (and some money) on transport. Given your experience, it doesn't seem like the Hala services are worth it.

Interesting that the posts I found were about how bad immigration was there, I guess people tend to post when the worst happens, and that was the noise I was seeing.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.