Search

cairo one day stopover

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
cairo one day stopover

hi,
arriving with 8yr old son at cairo airport 735am and have a layover til 11.10pm..
keen to get out and about for the day-any advice on best way to do it-what to see (obv including pyramids) !
thanks
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
hi,
arriving with 8yr old son at cairo airport 735am and have a layover til 11.10pm..
keen to get out and about for the day-any advice on best way to do it-what to see (obv including pyramids) !
thanks
I just did a week in Cairo and had a great time. The pyramids and sphinx are a must. From there a felucca ride on the Nile could be a nice option, or a few hours in the Egyptian Museum to see the mummies and King Tut's artifacts. Through my guesthouse we hired a taxi everyday (the same guy each time). He was excellent, punctual, informative, and had a great rate. If you're interested I can reach out to the guesthouse, the owner's college-aged nephew and I became close.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dantorsiello
... If you're interested I can reach out to the guesthouse, the owner's college-aged nephew and I became close.
Don't want to speak for the OP, but I doubt he'd have much need for a guesthouse on his schedule.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Efrem
Don't want to speak for the OP, but I doubt he'd have much need for a guesthouse on his schedule.
I think the idea might have been to have the guest house owner arrange transport + guide

If this doesn't work out there are tour agencies at the airport who will be very happy to arrange a days' excursion for you.

If you were to take a dayroom at, say, the airport Novotel (a shower and a rest before the next flight wouldn't be a bad idea!) the hotel concierge will do the arranging for you. I'd guess you can get a room there for $50-$60.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dantorsiello
I just did a week in Cairo and had a great time. The pyramids and sphinx are a must. From there a felucca ride on the Nile could be a nice option, or a few hours in the Egyptian Museum to see the mummies and King Tut's artifacts. Through my guesthouse we hired a taxi everyday (the same guy each time). He was excellent, punctual, informative, and had a great rate. If you're interested I can reach out to the guesthouse, the owner's college-aged nephew and I became close.
am interested!
thanks
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

any advice on what a good price for a day tour would be?
thanks
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
Full day use of car (new car with AC) and driver should be around $100 - in local currency.
Entrance fees for sights would be a bit extra.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I booked a private tour through Lady Egypt Tours. I am sure they would organise something. We had a private 4 week tour with our own guide and driver. Very professional and so cheap. An Australian or NZ lady owns the company with her local husband I think. They were so professional. We still speak to one of our guides.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:53 am

We are passing through Cairo in April, two nights but just one day to try to see as much as we can. I would very much appreciate any suggestions or contact information for reliable and safe tour guides. It sounds like having someone with us would help keep some of the touts away?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

thanks for your help
my schedule is

The Pyramids area with camel ride.
Memphis
The Egyptian museum
Felucca ride
Khan el-Khalili bazaar.

is this too much for a one day trip?
if so,which one should i drop?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:49 am

We went with Memphis Tours, their guides were amazing---incredibly knowledgeable and interesting. We started at 8:00 am, did the pyramids with a camel ride (the camel ride was so awesome, being "on your own" in the desert behind the pyramids is fantastic), lunch, the Egyptian museum, and had about 20 minutes at the bazaar before getting back to the hotel around 5:00. The whole day was a bit rushed, I wish we had had two days.

I would skip the felucca ride, ours wasn't really a "ride" as much as a "sit in the middle of the Nile and look at buildings for an hour". I think unless you are going somewhere they just let you float around a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.