Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Will having meds cause problems at UAE customs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Going to Dubai for a few days before heading to Spain and Morocco next week. My wife and I are pretty healthy but we want to bring a few things-- birth control pills, antibiotics, and a hair loss med for me. These are prescription meds but we don't have the script handy.
We also want anti-diarrheal meds, antacids, nausea meds. We also sometimes something sold at Whole Foods called "Party Smart" which helps with hangovers. The UAE website is incredibly strict to prevent drug trafficking. I read online that even something like Lomotil can cause issues. What can I expect at the airport? Are they really as strict as advertised?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:46 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I have traveled through the UAE with antibiotics, allergy meds, ibuproren, and immodium and have had no problems. I have declared none of these items -just gone about my normal business exiting the airport and then returning to depart the UAE.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, the feeling I have is that there have been a few instances of an overly zealous agent detaining someone, and now some people have come to the conclusion that all meds are banned from UAE.

The PartySmart pill we take is from Whole Foods and apparently is sold on a UAE website that sells Western goods. My wife swears it helps her prevent hangovers and wants to bring it. Each pill is prepackaged in a clear vacuum sheet. The reason I'm hesitant is because the pills themselves are translucent and the contents look like herbs. I don't want it to be mistaken for something it's not.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I decided to write to the appropriate UAE authorities. I wrote to the ministry of health (Google "Guidelines for Carrying of Personal Medicines"). On page three, there are emails for inquiries.

I specifically asked whether certain specific drugs were permissible to bring into the country for our personal use.

This was the email response I got from Amir Osman of the Ministry of Health:

"As per your mail, there is no objection to keep the medicines for the personal use to cover your staying in the UAE (maximum for a period not more than one month) provided that you have to keep a certified medical letter from your doctor along with a valid prescription."

I encourage anyone to write to the Ministry themselves if they have a question about their specific case. The Ministry appears to be very responsive to inquiries.

Last edited by 747FC; Feb 26, 2016 at 4:26 pm Reason: Removed expired link
Old Feb 26, 2016, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Going to Dubai for a few days before heading to Spain and Morocco next week. My wife and I are pretty healthy but we want to bring a few things-- birth control pills, antibiotics, and a hair loss med for me. These are prescription meds but we don't have the script handy.
[Bold by me]

Are the meds in the original bottle with the medicine info / your info / doctor's info? If so, that should suffice.

If they are in a clear unlabeled or de-labeled bottle ... then I can't say.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC

"As per your mail, there is no objection to keep the medicines for the personal use to cover your staying in the UAE (maximum for a period not more than one month) provided that you have to keep a certified medical letter from your doctor along with a valid prescription."
I don't have the original prescription for my meds. I also don't have a certified medical letter. Do you guys actually have the original script and an actual letter from the doctor?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10

Are the meds in the original bottle with the medicine info / your info / doctor's info? If so, that should suffice.

If they are in a clear unlabeled or de-labeled bottle ... then I can't say.
Yeah, they're in the pharmacy bottles. They have our names and the dr's info... but the thing that has me worried is that I'm the doctor. For basic stuff like my wife's birth control and my hair loss med, I'm comfortable writing it myself. I hope this doesn't raise major red flags at the airport. Should I just not declare it upon arrival?

Looks like I'll leave the Party Smart at home. What about vitamins and stuff like that?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:46 pm

Yeah, they're in the pharmacy bottles. They have our names and the dr's info... but the thing that has me worried is that I'm the doctor. For basic stuff like my wife's birth control and my hair loss med, I'm comfortable writing it myself. I hope this doesn't raise major red flags at the airport. Should I just not declare it upon arrival?

Looks like I'll leave the Party Smart at home. What about vitamins and stuff like that?
Well self-prescribed meds can't go well if questioned ... whether here or abroad

In all seriousness, you should be fine. I recently traveled to UAE (twice) with my family and between us combined we had prescription sleep pills, ibuprofen, anti-depressants, vitamins, OTC Tylenol, cold medicine, Pepto-Bismol among some other stuff probably and we didn't declare anything as it was personal use and minimal quantities (enough for the trip and unforeseen delays) in their respective bottles which has all the needful information listed on it including the pharmacy contact info. I didn't feel nervous nor did I feel they were being overly strict (or, strict at all) with tourists.

UAE is certainly tough on drug trafficking at a bigger level ... just watch The Ultimate Airport Dubai on YouTube
Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Quote:

Originally Posted by 747FC

I don't have the original prescription for my meds. I also don't have a certified medical letter. Do you guys actually have the original script and an actual letter from the doctor?
Want your meds and no legal problems? Get a copy of script and a letter.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 4:09 am

Like most things in the UAE, it is not a problem until it is a problem. And then it is a really big problem.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
I think you'd have to be very unlucky to be stopped, and even then you'd be fine if you can prove that the meds are for your own use. Millions of people visit every year and there is no intention to dissuade people from coming. Unsurprisingly, the authorities are mostly concerned with recreational misuse, unlicensed supply and counterfeit products.

In case of loss or staying longer than anticipated, you should be able to get most things you need here, particularly if you have the original prescription. Thank goodness for 24/7 pharmacies and pharmacists who are permitted to prescribe a wide variety of meds.

Do people really fly around the world with important meds in unlabelled bottles ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.