Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Visiting Sheikh Zayed Mosque from AUH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

I'm planning on visiting Dubai but flying into and out of AUH (premium class awards on Etihad that will include land transit to Dubai). I'm only there 2 nights, so I decided to pick either Abu Dhabi or Dubai to stay both nights in rather than splitting time, and Dubai looks more interesting to me. However, there is one thing I would like to see in Abu Dhabi - the Sheikh Zayed Mosque, and it looks like it's decently located relative to the airport for a visit. But I'm trying to figure out best timing. Here are the details:

Fly into AUH from DUB, arrive 7:50pm on Sunday. Mosque is closed to visitors on Sunday.
Hotel checkout in Dubai at 4pm on Tuesday, can get car to take us to AUH, but flight isn't until 3:20am that night. My thought is to get dropped off at airport, check bags in, and then get a cab out to the Mosque. But it seems check-in at AUH doesn't open until 4 hours prior to departure? If so, then we could do left luggage for a few hours while we head to Mosque.

Any potential snags in this plan? Any recommendations to optimize it?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
The mosque is only closed to non-muslims, and open for worship, on Fridays until 4pm. I think you would be too late on your arrival day.

It's only 10 miles from the airport in a taxi and I would estimate 100 dhs (USD28) in total. The airport taxis are smart Merc mini vans; safe, clean, metered, etc. and there are hundreds. City taxis are Toyota sedans and are equally numerous.

There are baggage storage facilities at the airport. Just follow the signs or ask at an information desk.

You could then continue on into the city (mosque is around half-way) and look around, grab dinner and a drink, before returning to the airport. Allow time for US CBP pre-clearance.

http://www.szgmc.ae/en/ for times, tours, dress code, etc. Any ladies in your party will need to borrow an abaya (to cover up). There's no charge but you need to leave some ID as a deposit.

I think you will enjoy your visit to the mosque; it's a rather special place. No problem with photos, though be careful of snapping other people.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:13 pm

See if you can time your trip to the mosque so you can take one of the free tours.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
Any ladies in your party will need to borrow an abaya (to cover up). There's no charge but you need to leave some ID as a deposit.
Not just ladies. Men who do not meet the dress code (notably, any men who are wearing shorts) will have to rent a kandoura as well. No charge, but ID retained as deposit.

And ladies do not have to rent an abaya if they meet the dress code. A simple scarf will almost always suffice.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Not just ladies. Men who do not meet the dress code (notably, any men who are wearing shorts) will have to rent a kandoura as well. No charge, but ID retained as deposit.

And ladies do not have to rent an abaya if they meet the dress code. A simple scarf will almost always suffice.
Best avoided for men; you will stand out as a dumb tourist who can't do online research The abayas are better and the assistants in the 'garment' room will do their best to make ladies look good, or so I'm told.

There's a useful guide on the website: http://www.szgmc.ae/en/img/Mosque-Manners.jpg

Ladies need to be covered wrists to ankles, so best to borrow an abaya unless you would normally dress this way.

And it's always good to enter into the spirit by dressing respectfully, rather than what you can get way with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.