Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beirut in June 2014?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Beirut in June 2014?

Just starting to plan some trips for 2014. One of them is a weekend in Beirut, arrive Thursday evening, leave Sunday evening.

Is June a good time to go? Average daily high is 28C/82F. Would this still be a comfortable time to go?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

A few bombings recently, but the UK travel advisory is still mostly 'green'.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/lebanon

Sound good?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
A lot can happen in Lebanon between today and next week, let alone June.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middl...eirut-now.html
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Coastal areas will be humid but I guess you are used to that in Dubai and it will be immeasurably more comfortable Further inland and up in the mountains it will be fresher and cooler.

One of the (many) things I like about KSA is the dry desert heat. 55C is quite bearable if you're careful.

I imagine you've done your research so you know the areas to stay away from, both in BEY and the wider country. Are you escaping Ramadan ? It's not really an issue in BEY.

Take care. They certainly know how to party
Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I was there in early July. Had no issues with the heat/humidity. Actually found it much more pleasant than for example Rome at the time.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 4:54 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Anytime is a good time to visit; it just depends on what you like to do By June, the summer season will be in full swing and temperatures will in the high 20s/low 30s. I cannot really comment on the situation from now as things are always "exciting" in this part of the world and events tend to unravel in the blink of an eye :P :P
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Hows Beirut during the middle of the week in January?

I know, summer is best and so are the weekends, but its all I can swing. What are some good spots for Tues and Wed nights?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:45 am

There is always something going on troyb. The Gemmayze area is always packed (lots of pubs and restaurants there). Hamra area (main Hamra street and a whole bunch of streets running perpendicular to Hamra street and Makdassi street) are also busy with more pubs and restaurants there. MoMos at Beirut Souks is always worth a visit. If we get a couple of good storms by the time you visit, you can always head up to the mountains for some skiing (if you're into that). The main slopes are about a 90 minute drive from Beirut. The city has a lot to offer and folks are more than happy to help whenever they can; just ask Enjoy your trip and happy holidays...
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
There is always something going on troyb. The Gemmayze area is always packed (lots of pubs and restaurants there). Hamra area (main Hamra street and a whole bunch of streets running perpendicular to Hamra street and Makdassi street) are also busy with more pubs and restaurants there. MoMos at Beirut Souks is always worth a visit. If we get a couple of good storms by the time you visit, you can always head up to the mountains for some skiing (if you're into that). The main slopes are about a 90 minute drive from Beirut. The city has a lot to offer and folks are more than happy to help whenever they can; just ask Enjoy your trip and happy holidays...
Thanks BEYFlyer. I have a couple of friends who will be taking me around but I was curious if it will be a stretch to find a good time on those nights. Seems like it wont be. Being from NY, I can tell you that Tues and Wed nights are fairly dead, so it is good to hear there will be lots to do in BEY. Any club suggestions?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Large explosion in BEY. BEYflyer you alright?
Cheers
Howie
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:40 am

Thanks for checking in on me stockmanjr. I am doing well and no one in my immediate/extended family has been harmed thankfully. Can't say the same for the 5 people (so far) that have lost their lives and 70+ injured in this senseless and cowardly act.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:57 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Thanks for checking in on me stockmanjr. I am doing well and no one in my immediate/extended family has been harmed thankfully. Can't say the same for the 5 people (so far) that have lost their lives and 70+ injured in this senseless and cowardly act.
Be safe. Seeing the news unfold and getting flashbacks from the past. Can't believe they pulled this crap off again and in the same larger area. A shame that all this nonsense keeps costing people's life and pulling Lebanon down everytime it has just gotten back up again. Such a shame.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
So sad. It's amazing what some people will give themselves license to do in the name of their cause.

BTW, I couldn't pin-point from the reports the location of the blast. Anyone know the street & cross-street?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by demue
Be safe. Seeing the news unfold and getting flashbacks from the past. Can't believe they pulled this crap off again and in the same larger area. A shame that all this nonsense keeps costing people's life and pulling Lebanon down everytime it has just gotten back up again. Such a shame.
Simply pieces of crap who keep themselves in business by keeping countries like Lebanon down in some absurd guise. I have other words but they aren't allowed on FT.
Cheers
Howie
Old Dec 29, 2013, 1:51 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by dhuey
So sad. It's amazing what some people will give themselves license to do in the name of their cause.

BTW, I couldn't pin-point from the reports the location of the blast. Anyone know the street & cross-street?
In front of the Hyatt construction site, http://goo.gl/maps/FutFM , 300 meteres from our hotel, the Phoenicia...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.