Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

TLV Passport Control: New Biometric Screening Kiosks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TLV Passport Control: New Biometric Screening Kiosks

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Does anyone have any experience with the new biometric passport screening?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Ok, silly question.

I renewed my and the rugrats' Israeli passports at the consulate last summer, and they have the little RFID symbol on the front, and our photos popped up on those entry cards last time we were there. My husband still has the old-style passport, and no photo popped into his entry card.

So are the passports the kids and I have the biometric ones, meaning we are eligible for this program? My husband may have to renew his and would end up getting the new one, too. (When I did the kids' and mine, they didn't ask. Thy just did the RFID ones automatically.) I have to check if his is expiring before our next trip over.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
Ok, silly question.

I renewed my and the rugrats' Israeli passports at the consulate last summer, and they have the little RFID symbol on the front, and our photos popped up on those entry cards last time we were there. My husband still has the old-style passport, and no photo popped into his entry card.
No idea why, considering I had my picture pop up and I only had a Teudat Maavar that was definitely not biometric

So are the passports the kids and I have the biometric ones, meaning we are eligible for this program? My husband may have to renew his and would end up getting the new one, too. (When I did the kids' and mine, they didn't ask. Thy just did the RFID ones automatically.) I have to check if his is expiring before our next trip over.
Very strange that they didn't ask. I presume you didn't bring passport pictures - but does the consulate have cameras to take biometric pictures?

Assuming they are the new ones (which it sounds like they are based on the icon) then yes, you can use the kiosks in the airport with no need to sign up for any special program (like in the UK, and unlike the previous system in Israel in which you needed to register in the airport, or the USA where you need to apply, pay, and interview for Global Entry)
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:39 pm

I did bring pictures, and they used them. That's one of the confusing things that made me ask. Perhaps there was a second generation with only the RFID, and now there is a third generation with the full biometric system in place. I don't know!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The system went from "bring your own picture, not e-passport, and not biometric," to biometric, e-passport, with them taking the picture. You sure the picture in the passport is the one you took privately, AND that the passport has the logo?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:45 pm

Hmm. They aren't readily accessible at the moment, so I can't be 100% sure about the epassport symbol. I thought they had it, but with 8 passports for 4 people, could be mixing up whic is which, I suppose. Wouldn't shock me if that were the case.

What I am 100% sure of, though, is that they used my pics. In fact, my son was not there with me when I did the passports. I thought they weren't going to allow me to renew his until I brought him in person, but they did. (My daughter was with me, as it was her first passport.)
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Was just at the Interior Ministry (Israel) and got a new biometric passport for my wife. For those who are unaware, they are now issuing biometric passports. It's currently in pilot phase, meaning you can choose biometric or regular passport. If you choose biometric, no need to get passport photos done before as they photograph you right there. If you have an Israeli passport, you can switch to a biometric one for free, and it's good for 10 years.

The new machines are set to be activated in mid-August 2013. Anyone with a biometric Israeli passport will be able to use the machine and bypass the passport lines (no need to meet with a person). This is as opposed to the current system which requires registering, getting an interview, and waiting for a special card in the mail.

The rep told me that eventually, the plan is for numerous passport holders to be able to use the machines that have agreements with Israel. Examples she gave are Global Entry passport holders, British, EU, and Australian biometric passport holders, with reciprocal access at those border crossings for Israeli biometric passport holders.

Note: Teudat Maavar is not eligible for biometric version. If you're eligible for Teudat Maavar but not passport, you must wait until eligible for a passport to apply for biometric passport.
I have GE.
The passport that entitles me to use GE is not biometric.
I have a biometric passport, but it is not registered with GE.
Would I be allowed to enroll manually?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have no idea about the qualifications, though I can try to find out. However, I was under the impression that GE only works with e-passports. Otherwise, how would the machine read the info?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I have no idea about the qualifications, though I can try to find out. However, I was under the impression that GE only works with e-passports. Otherwise, how would the machine read the info?
The GE kiosk reads the machine-readable zone on the passport. No e-passport is required.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
The MRZ is scanned.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Experienced it in both directions.

Leaving TLV: Passport control hall, all the way to the left. There are 2 style kiosks - one are the large ones that have been there for a while. Don't use them. There are 2 small ones. Those are the new ones. Just slide the passport and follow the on-screen instructions. Take the printout and walk around to exit the hall and scan the barcode to open the gates.

Entering TLV: Bypass the lines and go straight through as if exiting passport control. On the left side, 2 of the automatic gates have the kiosks attached straight to them. After putting in the passport and your fingerprint, the gate will open.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:38 am

Experienced it in both directions.

Leaving TLV: Passport control hall, all the way to the left. There are 2 style kiosks - one are the large ones that have been there for a while. Don't use them. There are 2 small ones. Those are the new ones. Just slide the passport and follow the on-screen instructions. Take the printout and walk around to exit the hall and scan the barcode to open the gates.

Entering TLV: Bypass the lines and go straight through as if exiting passport control. On the left side, 2 of the automatic gates have the kiosks attached straight to them. After putting in the passport and your fingerprint, the gate will open.
But the 'old' biometric kiosks (handprint w/ card) are still functional, right?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes they are, and will only be fazed out (officially) once there are no longer non-biometric passports around, which couldn't really be before 2025. (Though they may get rid of them earlier to "encourage" people to get biometric ones)
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes they are, and will only be fazed out (officially) once there are no longer non-biometric passports around, which couldn't really be before 2025. (Though they may get rid of them earlier to "encourage" people to get biometric ones)
I know that Vietnamese passports still aren't biometric (can confirm as I saw one in PEK while in security.)
Since they are valid for 10 years, and I don't see any government announcement saying they will transition, it could be a while.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I know that Vietnamese passports still aren't biometric (can confirm as I saw one in PEK while in security.)
Since they are valid for 10 years, and I don't see any government announcement saying they will transition, it could be a while.
So? Someone entering with a Vietnamese passport would go to the regular desks and not to the kiosks, just like any visitor in any country. The kiosks are there for all Israeli passport holders as well as any passport holders of reciprocal agreements, such as Global Entry and UK passports (for now - both yet to be implemented).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.