Beirut and Oman

Old Jan 20, 13, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ual, aa, nwa, starwood, jwm
Beirut and Oman

We are planned to be in Beirut and Oman beginning of April this year, and trying to determine how to divide our time between the two destinations. Can you share your ideas on what each has to offer in terms of sights, culture, dining, nightlife and shopping? Want to be sure we are apportioning our time (8 days) appropriately. Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 13, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Beirut itself is not all that interesting - 2 days maybe?
But there is so much more to see in Lebanon if you get out of Beirut.

We had a car in Oman, and drove around for 5 days, that seemed just enough.
Oman is very easy to drive around for a foreigner, I wouldnt dare driving in Beirut, its madness out there

The nightlife will be much better in Beirut vs non-existant in Oman.
Old Jan 21, 13, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Two very different places and I like them both for different reasons.

Beirut itself is a party town if you like swish restaurants and clubs, but as pointed out above, you can get out and explore, ski, etc. Very western, urban and fast-paced in outlook. Lots of evidence of recent history if you follow current affairs.

Oman (my favourite country ) runs at a much slower pace, and there are not 20 things to do before lunch ! The trick is to slow down and take your time. Much more 'arabic' and 'islamic' but by no means strict, and you can still enjoy a beer in the major hotels. Lovely, friendly people.

Are you just based in MCT, or will you have a car to get out and explore ? Try to get up into the mountains for awesome scenery and views. Search previous threads for other things to do.

Assuming you'll lose a day to travelling, I'd do 2-3days in Beirut and 4-5 days in Oman.

Enjoy !
Old Jan 21, 13, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ual, aa, nwa, starwood, jwm
Very useful thoughts - thanks! Will research previous Threads further. Not sure how far afield we will venture but your comments have inspired to investigate more. Any other comments re getting around and out of Beirut or Muscat?
Old Jan 22, 13, 5:15 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
jac411, I can only offer insights on Beirut. Getting out of Beirut (to view the sites) is best arranged through a tour operator. By far, the best tour operator in the country is Nakhal. You can either go with a group or book your own car for the day. For more information, please visit their website at http://www.nakhal.com.lb/

Last edited by BEYFlyer; Jan 22, 13 at 5:29 am
Old Jan 22, 13, 6:38 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
I agree with most of the comments here. These are two great destinations for different reasons. Two days is enough to see Muscat; to explore the country beyond that you'd need a few more days.

I would recommend 2 days in Oman, focusing on Muscat, and the rest in Lebanon. (Maybe another day or two if you want to relax by the pool or beach at one of the resorts, which are nicer than any in Beirut.) Muscat has a few sites, especially the Muttrah souk and nearby forts. Thought it has virtually no good dining or nightlife; Beirut has tons.

I would recommend Umm Sherif and Babel as two spectacular modern Lebanese restaurants in Beirut. (Babel is sort of outside town.)
Old Jan 22, 13, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer View Post
jac411, I can only offer insights on Beirut. Getting out of Beirut (to view the sites) is best arranged through a tour operator. By far, the best tour operator in the country is Nakhal. You can either go with a group or book your own car for the day. For more information, please visit their website at http://www.nakhal.com.lb/
I ll second Nakhal from a foreigner experience - really good tours. Makes getting out of Beirut hassle-free for very reasonable prices.
Old Jan 23, 13, 9:05 am

Difficult to answer without knowing what sort of "sights and culture" you are interested in. Scenery, archaeology, people, markets, ?
Old Mar 14, 13, 7:32 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Two women renting a car in Oman

Originally Posted by dunk View Post
Two very different places and I like them both

Are you just based in MCT, or will you have a car to get out and explore ? Try to get up into the mountains for awesome scenery and views. Search previous threads for other things to do.

Assuming you'll lose a day to travelling, I'd do 2-3days in Beirut and 4-5 days in Oman.

Enjoy !
My girlfriend and I will be traveling in Oman for about 10 days in November. Is it OK for 2 women to rent a car and drive around on our own?
Thank you.
Old Mar 14, 13, 7:37 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Teresita View Post
My girlfriend and I will be traveling in Oman for about 10 days in November. Is it OK for 2 women to rent a car and drive around on our own?
Thank you.
Sure, no problem at all. It's one of the safest countries in the world.
Old Mar 16, 13, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM
I went as a solo woman for 3nts and would love to go back and drive around for 10days as it's a wonderful destination! You will feel welcome and comfortable and the roads seemed great from what I experienced.
Old Mar 21, 13, 7:15 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Thumbs up Oman for females driving

Originally Posted by Jac747 View Post
I went as a solo woman for 3nts and would love to go back and drive around for 10days as it's a wonderful destination! You will feel welcome and comfortable and the roads seemed great from what I experienced.
Thanks so much to you all for the information!
I'll report back in when I have my plans.
Old May 14, 13, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Jac411...would love to hear how your trip went. How did you like Beirut?

Search this Thread