Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Which Immigration Desk at Dubai?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:43 am
NoY
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum

Can anyone advise which immigration desk/line one can use at DXB when holding a GCC Resident Visa? Can one use the GCC Nationals desk/line? Many thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
I doubt it, however if you're a member of a UAE visa waiver country (which I assume you are since you don't mention a UAE visa), you can get an e-gate card to speed entry and exit.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:10 pm
NoY
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by typical
I doubt it, however if you're a member of a UAE visa waiver country (which I assume you are since you don't mention a UAE visa), you can get an e-gate card to speed entry and exit.
Oh, that sounds great. So if I had a Qatari Residence Visa I could use e-gate at DXB?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Qatari residency visa doesn't get you anything in the UAE as far as I know.

The ability to get e-gate depends on the passport you hold. If you're a citizen of one of the 33 countries with a visa waiver, you can get an e-gate card for Dubai.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:17 am
NoY
Original Poster

The Qatari residency visa doesn't get you anything in the UAE as far as I know.

The ability to get e-gate depends on the passport you hold. If you're a citizen of one of the 33 countries with a visa waiver, you can get an e-gate card for Dubai.
UK passports get e-gate then.

Sounds great but I have not found that information definitively stated eleswhere. Will investigate further. Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoY
Sounds great but I have not found that information definitively stated eleswhere. Will investigate further. Thanks.
Definitively stated? In the Middle East?

Some discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...residents.html
and here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...lses-visa.html
Old Jul 9, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
You cannot use the GCC Nationals desk if you are merely a GCC Resident, unfortunately.

I don't believe that anyone besides a UAE Resident can get the e-gate, unless one is an Emirates Skywards Gold member and national of a visa waiver country.

That's at least according to one official source of information:
Dubai government

But, as typical mentions, you never know, though no counter-example has revealed himself/herself on FlyerTalk as far as I can tell.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:33 am
NoY
Original Poster

Ok, many thanks for the updates guys but now I do have the definitive (for me & Mrs. NoY annyhow ) answer.

A UK passport DOES qualify for e-gate. We now have in our posession e-gate cards which are valid for 2 years each ^

Did this at DXB T1 (upper level) where there are dedicated e-gate desks. Process took 10 minutes each - and we walked away with the cards - which in itself is a nothing short of a miracle for any UAE-based beauracracy that I have encountered here Brilliant service indeed. This will reduce my weekly commute times massively as the lines at immigration are nuts most days. e-gate is usually empty.

Should work for any of the 33 (?) visa-on-arrival passport holders.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great ^

It seems to work unless those who give them out are on a power trip / the UAE has temporarily clamped down.

Glad to be of help

Oh, and I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 3 minutes at an e-gate.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 8:17 am
NoY
Original Poster

Great ^

It seems to work unless those who give them out are on a power trip / the UAE has temporarily clamped down.

Glad to be of help

Thank you.

Very happy
Old Jul 10, 2011, 4:37 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Great ^

Glad to be of help

Great news. Thanks, NoY, for the information.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: EK Skywards
great in theory, but last year the e gate system was down on 4 out of 5 of my trips through!
Although you can get your pp stamped at the e gate line in the normal fashion and still less of a queue!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.