Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

My Egate linked to someone elses visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Hi ...I have been living in the UAE for the last 6 years and mostly use my egate card to get in n out of the country...

Once I tried going to Oman by road and at the border they told me that te last time I exited the country was eight months ago and havent returned since and so my visa has been cancelled..I was shocked as I had travelled thrice in the last eight months ...He asked to see the entry stamp ..I told him that I have been using the egate card everytime so there is no stamp on my passport...

I went all the way to Dubai Airport and got a report printed from the egate people who had all my travel details...I took that report and went back to the AlAin border where again they didnt let me exit...

The person at the AlAin border figured out the problem...My egate card was linked to a 3 year old kid's visa so every time I travel using the egate the kid's records get updated not mine....Its seems the person who made my egate card entered the wrong visa details and because of this huge mistake my visa is cancelled....Besides my family's weekened being ruined , I also found out that I was illegal in this country as my visa was cancelled...

Has anyone faced a similar issue? I am going to the immigration office on Sunday but have no idea how they will un-cancel my visa ....I need help...
Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:17 am

Programs: QF Silver
This is some serious stuff and the only advise I can give you is to go to the immigration office ASAP. It is not your fault somebody linked your egate to someone else's visa but this is all up to the authorities. So stay calm and be co-operative. Try to bring along the itineraries, booking confirmations and whatever else you have from those flights you took, so you can prove that it was you indeed who went in and out of the country and not the three year old who the egate was linked to. The more documentation you have on your travel, the better. As mentioned, most important to stay calm and co-operate with the authorities.

Good luck.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Get an immigration lawyer. The more connected, the better.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Dont think you need a laawyer yet...

When you go to immigration they will get a exit stamp (sticker and stamp) in your passport.

If they track that an error was made by Egate then prob no issue--although I would guess they will somehom still make you pay the fee-- hope not!!

I am suprised that this was never caught unless th ephot was correct still of you from e-gate-- as when you go through the guy sitting in the booth gets all your info and pic infromnt of him, so if a three years info and a kid picture comes up then there is aproblem-- or maybe your pic with a three year olds info??--

Will be interesting to see how this develops. I always did wonder about trying to leave at a non airport (egate) border -- wont be trying that anytime soon
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzlhr
As far as the authorities are concerned, the OP has been in the country illegally. It may be easily fixed with common sense, as you describe. However, it may not be. Things don't always work logically in the UAE, and the time to get legal advice is before you discover you definitely should have done so...
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Originally Posted by typical
As far as the authorities are concerned, the OP has been in the country illegally. It may be easily fixed with common sense, as you describe. However, it may not be. Things don't always work logically in the UAE, and the time to get legal advice is before you discover you definitely should have done so...
The OP says he has a Residence Visa (or at least that is what I read is he has been living her for 6 years) Therefore he is NOT living illegally. If his residenece Visa was cancelled his employer and P.R.O. would have been notified as they are the sponsor and the ones who would sign off the cancellation... Something not adding up.

If the OP is only on a visit visa and keeps leaving the country to extend his stay then - yes, the OP will have an issue and may need a lawyer.

The OP shoul dspeak to their PRO first and try to sort it.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP says he has a Residence Visa (or at least that is what I read is he has been living her for 6 years) Therefore he is NOT living illegally. If his residenece Visa was cancelled his employer and P.R.O. would have been notified as they are the sponsor and the ones who would sign off the cancellation... Something not adding up.
You seem to have a lot more belief in the authorities than I do. The (limited) experience of my firm suggests such notifications are not routine, and that it is up to the company to request cancellation even after the visa is no longer valid.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold
I agree you don't really need a lawyer. This matter can get sorted out just by talking to the right people in the immigration department. Don't waste your money.

When you go to immigration they will get a exit stamp (sticker and stamp) in your passport.

If they track that an error was made by Egate then prob no issue--although I would guess they will somehom still make you pay the fee-- hope not!!

I am suprised that this was never caught unless th ephot was correct still of you from e-gate-- as when you go through the guy sitting in the booth gets all your info and pic infromnt of him, so if a three years info and a kid picture comes up then there is aproblem-- or maybe your pic with a three year olds info??--

Will be interesting to see how this develops. I always did wonder about trying to leave at a non airport (egate) border -- wont be trying that anytime soon
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by aruniyer
I agree you don't really need a lawyer. This matter can get sorted out just by talking to the right people in the immigration department. Don't waste your money.
Exactly. Things have moved on here over the past few years. This should not be a problem, just go personally and speak to them. I am sure it will be absolutely fine. Dont worry about it (if you are legal!)

ps the guy who asked that maybe he/she was on a visit visa can not be right as you need to be a resident to have a egate card.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:20 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by freakstar
ps the guy who asked that maybe he/she was on a visit visa can not be right as you need to be a resident to have a egate card.
That is not correct. If you are a citizen of 1 of the 33 visa on arrival countries or a GCC Citizen you can have an eGate card.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by khalid26
That is not correct. If you are a citizen of 1 of the 33 visa on arrival countries or a GCC Citizen you can have an eGate card.
Sorry I was not aware of that. So can i use my UAE egate card elsewhere?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by freakstar
Sorry I was not aware of that. So can i use my UAE egate card elsewhere?
No, but because you don't need a pre-arranged visa to enter the UAE, you can use e-gate in the UAE.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any update from the OP?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Originally Posted by khalid26
Are you sure? In Abu Dhabi you have to have a residence visa or be a GCC citizen to get an e-Gate card.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...residents.html
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:39 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by csdf
Are you sure? In Abu Dhabi you have to have a residence visa or be a GCC citizen to get an e-Gate card.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...residents.html
I think there was some confusion at one point. I was the OP on the thread you've quoted, but was able to get an eGate card a year later without problems.

Not sure of the current regulations, as I've slipped down to Blue.

Cheers,
Rick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.