Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

DXB transit with children/during Ramadan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

We'll be flying LHR-DXB-NRT and back this summer on EK with young children. Outbound connection is 3hrs from midnight to 3am, inbound connection is a bit longer 6.5hrs from 3:30am to 10am.

1. For outbound, I presume there's not much aside from hanging around at the airport? Are lounges/facilities open in the middle of night? We prefer to stay airside.

2. For inbound, is it worth venturing outside of airport? Or just book a hotel room inside the airport? I'm a bit loathe to schlepp the children, esp if they're tired and sleepy.

Oh and I recognised it will be in the middle of Ramadan--I presume business is as usual at the airport, or would I have difficulty finding a place to buy fruits or water?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:17 am

1. Everything's open 24/7

2. You could book a taxi to take a tour and have a look at the sights, if you want a room then it'll be cheaper at one of the Hotels just outside the airport.

3. Biz as usual at the Airport during Ramadan.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much. Much appreciated.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:36 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
The hotel in the terminal would be a good choice, although it's not cheap. I have used it (the one in T1 -- I am sure that the new branch in EK's T3 is nicer) on a couple of occasions to drop off my luggage and serve as a base to explore DXB's excellent restaurants (especially in T3) or other activities. Plus it has a swimming pool.

With 6.5 hours, I probably wouldn't leave the airport. By the time you make the long trek out and get a visa, it's after 4:00. Then you have to arrive back by 9:00 at the latest I would say (the airport shouldn't be too busy at that time). Also there won't be much to do in Dubai at that time. If it were a couple of hours earlier, you could enjoy a suhour experience at one of the hotels, but nothing much will be open at 4:00am.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
You are arriving in the middle of the night and checking into the airport hotel is a good move. I have stayed there once and the rooms are very nice for an airport hotel. As OP mentioned it is expensive for an airport hotel as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.