Wiki Posts
Search

IAD: Not feeling warm and fuzzy about this water refill station

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

IAD: Not feeling warm and fuzzy about this water refill station

Water refill station: Red filter status

This is my 1st time using these water refill stations.
The filter status is Red. (Located in Z gate)
Does that mean I'm basically drinking out of a water fountain?

This normal for this airport?
Old Sep 21, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Well, it is impossible to know from just the front of the machine how long the light has been on - 1, 10, 100 or 1,000 fills - before you saw it. It might have come on just minutes or days before you saw it. MWAA Maintenance is generally good and attentive to these kind of things so I expect the light has probably come on more recently (days maybe) rather than been on for a long time.

The filters for most of these machines are rated for 3,000 gallons. The filter change indicator would typically come on around 3,000 gallons but could come on sooner if the performance of the filter degrades. The "green ticker" meter on the upper right is not a counter of refills or how many gallons have been filtered but rather a count how many 20oz plastic bottles have been "saved." The photo is a little blurry but the number appears to be "3,087" which would indicate at least 964 gallons of water have gone through the machine but it easily could be more if the counter was reset at some point.

I think you do not need to worry at all for two reasons. The primary reason is that the light coming on does not mean the water is suddenly or magically unsafe to drink. It's no different than the "sell by" or "expired" date on your milk, eggs, or any other food product - the food is 100% fine, even days after the sell by "expired" date. Also, Washington DC area potable water quality from the water authorities is exceptionally good and has been for decades - additional filtering (such as this filling station or a consumer/home water filter) are generally unnecessary and provide little improvement in water quality although some people believe they can detect a taste/odor difference - my taste buds never have been able to discern a difference.

Also, the light being on does not mean you are suddenly and essentially drinking out of a "water fountain." Every "refill station" is just a water fountain by another name - whether it has a filter or not.

Hope you had a nice flight!
snail and cmn.jcs like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.