Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International flights connecting at IAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2023, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

International flights connecting at IAD

I’ve booked flights with a travel agent from London Heathrow to San Salvador via Dulles. I was asked if going via the US was a problem due to the need to get an ESTA, to which the answer was no as I’ve obtained one before without issue. However, the layover time is just 2 hours 35 minutes. Having looked into this a bit more, this seems very tight even if the flight from London is on time.

Full details are:
- No Global Entry
- Non-US citizen
- Will have checked bags
- LHR flight arriving at 15:15, next flight departing 17:50

Does this sound doable or do I really need to get back onto the agent? The ESTA was the least of my worries…
Old Sep 21, 2023, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I would say no.

you have to go throw cusoms
then get your bags
then have to recheck you4 bags
then go through security check point again

USA airports dont have separate international connection terminals where you don’t have to go through customs/ immigration checks.

If I fly out domestic out of Dulles I give myself 100+ minutes with check bags, security and getting to the gate

the customs/ immigration check adds much more time.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Agree w/ djp. Unfortunately, (and embarrassingly as it is the main int'l airport near the nation's capital), processing through IAD immigration and customs can frequently be ridiculously long. Add to this you are arriving during international rush hour, and I would like to have at least an hour longer connection time - more depending upon how "critical" it is to make the connection.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If both legs are on United, there is a dedicated immigration hall for transfer passengers at the UA concourse which would eliminate the line at the main immigration hall which would significantly reduce the wait times. The OP should take an eye on signs for "Connecting Flights" since he arrives.

If the OP arrives from London on BA, Virgin or Norse; sorry, he is out of luck and he must take the long way through the regular customs hall.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 8:27 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Arrow Especially navigating concourses.

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If both legs are on United, there is a dedicated immigration hall for transfer passengers at the UA concourse which would eliminate the line at the main immigration hall which would significantly reduce the wait times. The OP should take an eye on signs for "Connecting Flights" since he arrives.

If the OP arrives from London on BA, Virgin or Norse; sorry, he is out of luck and he must take the long way through the regular customs hall.
I concur with IstFlyer. When flying back from Tokyo for Japan Do #7 in April, flying on UA, and having Global Entry likely saved my connection to a flight to ORD.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.