NYC to Arlington VA. Drive or fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC to Arlington VA. Drive or fly?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Made the fly/train/drive determination multiple times.

Train is most convenient downtown to downtown - no taxis at either end. If only at DC end not so bad.
Fly is marginally quicker (esp. to UES) but you're constantly changing modes - moving from taxi to security to gate to plane to sitting on plane to deboarding to terminal to taxi line. Pricing is usually similar.
Driving is longer than either - 4 hours minimum if you can avoid traffic, more like 5 if you hit any kind of traffic at either end, which you almost always do with a 5-hour window, and esp. going to Alexandria. Advantage of driving is if you need a car. Also, if you have multiple people you can spread the gas/tolls over more people vs. train/plane where each needs a separate ticket. And you can share the driving. Tolls are about $40 each way (a bit less leaving NYC because you don't pay for tunnel; more going back)
DELee likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 2:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I used to travel from NYC to DC amd sometimes Arlington pretty frequently. I would always take the train unless I had to be there very early.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:07 am

Definitely take the Amtrak train from New York City to Washington, D.C. Then take the Washington, D.C. Metrorail from Union Station to Arlington (you will take the Red Line from Union Station and then transfer to the Orange Line, Blue Line, or Silver Line).
Old Jan 21, 2023, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Get a room on a long-distance train

You can book private rooms on Amtrak long-distance trains that run this route: the Silver Star, Silver Meteor and Crescent. I went from NYC to Alexandria that way a few years ago. That’s the best way to do this trip. It’s the same price as the Acela or business class in a regular train but you get a private room. And the Alexandria station is in the middle of town, which can be walked to in just a minute or two, literally.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 1:57 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
You can book private rooms on Amtrak long-distance trains that run this route: the Silver Star, Silver Meteor and Crescent. I went from NYC to Alexandria that way a few years ago. That’s the best way to do this trip. It’s the same price as the Acela or business class in a regular train but you get a private room. And the Alexandria station is in the middle of town, which can be walked to in just a minute or two, literally.
Just to be clear - Alexandria Amtrak station is across the street from the Masonic Temple a few blocks from Old Town Alexandria - Arlington is several miles to the north.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Ten Minute Metro
Definitely take the Amtrak train from New York City to Washington, D.C. Then take the Washington, D.C. Metrorail from Union Station to Arlington (you will take the Red Line from Union Station and then transfer to the Orange Line, Blue Line, or Silver Line).
Agreed.

http://dctransitguide.com/static/ima...system_map.png
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
What kind of traffic/delays should I expect in driving from DC to lower Manhattan (most likely, via the Turnpike and the Holland) on a Sunday afternoon in early April?

TIA!
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
What kind of traffic/delays should I expect in driving from DC to lower Manhattan (most likely, via the Turnpike and the Holland) on a Sunday afternoon in early April?

TIA!
Normal drive time without issues is 4 1/2 - 5 hours depending on how heavy is your foot. Construction typically doesn't begin until Sunday evening but traffic accidents are of course unpredictable except that it is easy to predict one will happen. You might check if there are any sporting events in the Meadowlands on the day /time you want to travel - traffic leaving such an event would probably have an impact on NB 95/NJTPK traffic into the city. I would allow 6 hours of travel time if you have a specific time to arrive. If you are early, great.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 12:50 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian

TIA!
Sunday in April heading north, I would definitely take 50/301 by Annapolis and over the Bay to avoid the 95 snarls that form before and after Baltimore, After exit 8 on the NJ turnpike trafiic will increase (a lot!) but unless there is an accident you should be OK and it may slow down but you will keep moving.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sunday evening heading into the city can be quite bad. Prob an extra 20-30m just at the Holland Tunnel.
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Plus get ready for a king's ransom in tolls. $45+
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
Normal drive time without issues is 4 1/2 - 5 hours depending on how heavy is your foot. Construction typically doesn't begin until Sunday evening but traffic accidents are of course unpredictable except that it is easy to predict one will happen. You might check if there are any sporting events in the Meadowlands on the day /time you want to travel - traffic leaving such an event would probably have an impact on NB 95/NJTPK traffic into the city. I would allow 6 hours of travel time if you have a specific time to arrive. If you are early, great.
When is that route ever without issues?

Last couple years, my drive times on weekends PHL-DC have been minimum 4.5 hours either way, and on one memorable occasion, 6.5 hours. Add another 2+ hours to Manhattan. If at all possible, especially if you need to be there by a specific time, take Amtrak. It will be quicker.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Section 107
Yes, 4.5-5 is typical if avoiding bad bottlenecks by picking decent times to avoid the worst of them.

Between Arlington and NYC — the UES for me, but sometimes Midtown or Downtown — six hours should indeed more than cover it most times. I’ve not yet ever had it hit 7 hours for me. I won’t mention how fast I have seen it done during the post-9:30pm hours, but let’s just say I’ve been amazed.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, 4.5-5 is typical if avoiding bad bottlenecks by picking decent times to avoid the worst of them.

Between Arlington and NYC — the UES for me, but sometimes Midtown or Downtown — six hours should indeed more than cover it most times. I’ve not yet ever had it hit 7 hours for me. I won’t mention how fast I have seen it done during the post-9:30pm hours, but let’s just say I’ve been amazed.
Hey, orbital velocities on empty freeways and thruways works.

David
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
When is that route ever without issues?
If at all possible, especially if you need to be there by a specific time, take Amtrak. It will be quicker.
Admittedly this was many years ago, but the last time I took Amtrak to NYC it took 12 hours! (train ran over some debris, ruptured brake lines and was stuck for hours about 20 miles outside Philly). YMMV.... at least I learned how to play backgammon and drink whisky!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.