Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

5A or SL Express to IAD with lots of luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry

Hello.

I'm flying domestically out of IAD, and will be heading there at or right after rush hour (departing DC 6-7pm) on a weekday. As I'm moving out of my dorm, I'll be carrying 3 full-sized suitcases with me. (I might be enlisting a friend to help me carry the suitcases)

Usually I fly out of BWI/DCA I take the 5A, but I have yet to attempt it during rush hour, and I usually take just a backpack with me. I'm hesitant to take the Washington Flyer from Wiehle-Reston East because I don't want to menace commuters by lugging around 3 bulky suitcases on the Metro during rush hour.

I've also considered a SuperShuttle, but it seems as though they'll want to stack up fees for the extra suitcase, and the excess weight on all 3 bags. This can potentially make shared vans only marginally cheaper than a taxi/uber direct to IAD, assuming SuperShuttle doesn't force me to reserve an "exclusive" car to begin with.

Therefore I'm leaning towards the 5A, after taking a brief taxi/uber ride across the river to Rosslyn. However, I'm concerned that the bus will be too crowded to board, especially considering the lack of dedicated storage racks on the 5A buses.

I was therefore wondering if anyone had experience/insight as to how problematic crowding would be during rush hour on the 5A buses. Is it a realistic expectation that I'll be able to board the 5A from Rosslyn with 3 suitcases during rush hour? If not, would things be any better if I took the 5A from L'Enfant instead?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old May 22, 2018, 6:14 pm

Don’t do this, assuming this is not a joke post. How do you even get on a public bus with three pieces of luggage? Rush hour or not. Your profile indicates you have gold status with United and with more than one hotel chain, so you would seem to have resources to charter an Uber or taxi to Dulles. Or rent a car one way. That may be cheaper than Uber, taxi or Supershuttle. If you insist on this inconsiderate and crazy plan, I would start at L’Enfant Plaza rather than In Virginia.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The bus with three large suitcases is not going to work. While it may run to IAD, it is just a regular MetroBus packed with airport workers. You are already talking about a $15-20 Uber to Rosslyn (depending on where you start in DC).

If you can swing it, consider an Uber to IAD for roughly $45 and then you won't even need to enlist someone to accompany you.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drseagrass
Don’t do this, assuming this is not a joke post. How do you even get on a public bus with three pieces of luggage? Rush hour or not. Your profile indicates you have gold status with United and with more than one hotel chain, so you would seem to have resources to charter an Uber or taxi to Dulles. Or rent a car one way. That may be cheaper than Uber, taxi or Supershuttle. If you insist on this inconsiderate and crazy plan, I would start at L’Enfant Plaza rather than In Virginia.
Well, it would be me (2 bags) and a friend (1 bag). Of course, if I was suggesting that I wanted to board a packed Circulator to Union Station with 3 suitcases, I'd get your outrage. I know that on normal public transport this would be abnormal, and it's why I'm avoiding taking the Metro at all. But I've frequently seen passengers carry multiple large suitcases on buses connecting to Dulles airport when I've taken them to IAD, and I don't think what I'm trying to do strays too far from the norm on the 5A/Washington Flyer bus. Dulles is, after all, an international airport serving quite a lot of long-haul destinations. I want to take a private car directly to the bus stop, and then take a bus on a route that exists for the explicit purpose of serving an airport. Is that really that inconsiderate?

I know, therefore, that the 5A during the day can take two passengers carrying a couple of suitcases. However, as I outlined in the post, I have yet to ride the 5A at around 6-7PM. I just wanted a gauge on how crowded it would be, from others on flyertalk who have potentially boarded the route in question around that time of day.

I'd love to be able to rent a car, and it would certainly be at the top of my list if I were able to. Even if I had a license, I'm still at the age where there would be very few, if any, rental agencies that would be willing to rent me one.

As for my statuses, the only reason why I have UA Gold is because I fly semi-frequently internationally, and the only reason I was able to attain the status was through a loophole in the program which exempts me from airline spend requirements. If regular restrictions applied, my spending on airfare would be nowhere near the amount necessary to earn any type of higher FF statuses. Most of the other statuses on my profile have been earned through status match offers with my UA membership, and I've actually stayed at a hotel once in the past year....

Any transportation to the airport, however would either come from my pocket if it was manageable (public transport) or I'd have to ask for financial assistance from my family if it's expensive (an Uber XL to the airport @ surge prices). So I hope you understand that I'd like for it to be a last resort.

Last edited by JMBResona; May 22, 2018 at 6:49 pm
Old May 22, 2018, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The bus with three large suitcases is not going to work. While it may run to IAD, it is just a regular MetroBus packed with airport workers. You are already talking about a $15-20 Uber to Rosslyn (depending on where you start in DC).

If you can swing it, consider an Uber to IAD for roughly $45 and then you won't even need to enlist someone to accompany you.
I actually live just a station away from Rosslyn (that narrows it down, doesn't it...) and a Lyft usually sets me back just 5-7 dollars to get across the river.
I just couldn't gauge how busy the 5A would be (i.e. how many workers would be traveling from DC to IAD) during the evening.

Thanks for the input. I'll try getting to the airport earlier when I know the buses aren't crowded, or taking a car directly to the airport if I for some reason have to stay in DC until the evening. For some reason, I'd assumed that an Uber to the airport. would run me $60-70.

$45 certainly seems more reasonable, so that's less of a last resort now.

Last edited by JMBResona; May 22, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Old May 23, 2018, 7:29 am

The thing about the 5A is that it's intended for airport/airline employees going to/from IAD, not airline passengers. When I moved away in 2013, they had a handful of buses on that route with luggage racks, but not many, and I doubt that's changed. You're at an even greater disadvantage boarding at Rosslyn, since the bus starts at L'Enfant Plaza, which means you're less likely to get a seat when you board. I'd strongly recommend SuperShuttle or UberX/Lyft Line.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
The thing about the 5A is that it's intended for airport/airline employees going to/from IAD, not airline passengers. When I moved away in 2013, they had a handful of buses on that route with luggage racks, but not many, and I doubt that's changed. You're at an even greater disadvantage boarding at Rosslyn, since the bus starts at L'Enfant Plaza, which means you're less likely to get a seat when you board. I'd strongly recommend SuperShuttle or UberX/Lyft Line.
Friends don't let friends book SuperShuttle !

Unreliable, slow and will require you to depart at some unreasonable time relative to departure. Rent a mule and pile the suitcases on it before you take (Not)Super Shuttle.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:36 am

As noted above, the 5A starts at L'Enfant Plaza. If you're determined to do this (and I don't think it's an unworkable plan--maybe I just have unreasonably good luck, but every 5A I've ever ridden has had luggage racks), board there, not at Rosslyn--especially if you were going to have to Lyft across to the river to get to Rosslyn to begin with.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ambyr
As noted above, the 5A starts at L'Enfant Plaza. If you're determined to do this (and I don't think it's an unworkable plan--maybe I just have unreasonably good luck, but every 5A I've ever ridden has had luggage racks), board there, not at Rosslyn--especially if you were going to have to Lyft across to the river to get to Rosslyn to begin with.
Originally Posted by Often1
Friends don't let friends book SuperShuttle !

Unreliable, slow and will require you to depart at some unreasonable time relative to departure. Rent a mule and pile the suitcases on it before you take (Not)Super Shuttle.
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Thank you all. I'll probably scope out the load levels on the 5A at L'Enfant today at around the time I want to board, and see if it's practical. If not, I'm fine with a $45 Uber to the airport...especially considering SuperShuttle wants an extra $10 for the third bag, along with any overweight surcharges which will probably bring me over $45.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:32 pm

Load factors on the 5A won't matter if you can be at the bus stop 5-10 mins before it leaves, you'll get your choice of seats.

And you could always request an UberX and gamble on having enough luggage space - if there's only two of you, you could always put a bag in the front passenger seat and/or between the two of you in the back seat.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
My most memorable 5A trip was departing IAD around 5PM, not long after AF54 (the A380) had landed. I was the only passenger sitting in the back row, and was completely walled in by a pile of suitcases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.