Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DCA Curfew

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by halls120
SNA might have a curfew, but DCA doesn't.
My point was that flyer703 tried to use lack of designation on approach charts as evidence. That fails when faced with an airport that does have a curfew and also doesn't have it listed in the charts.

As for the semantics of what to call it, I don't really care. We've also veered incredibly far from this having anything to do with UA.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HomerJay
So, no. There's never been a curfew. But there have been restrictions. And the airlines have found ways around the restrictions.
seems clear to me
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Often1
Call it a curfew or a noise restriction as you will. It is a government rule which limits access for certain aircraft at certain hours.
No - there effectively is no "government rule". The 1980's restrictions are no longer relevant due to quieter aircraft.

There are no operational nighttime restrictions at DCA in 2017. Period!

I live just south of the airport and hear aircraft departing and arriving ALL THE TIME outside of the old "curfew" times. (5:15am to well after midnight)

I have no idea about SNA operations and didn't mean to imply anything about them in any of these posts.

Last edited by flyer703; Jul 3, 2017 at 5:22 am
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:13 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this is an airport-specific query, we will move this over to the Mid-Atlantic destination forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by flyer703
There are no operational nighttime restrictions at DCA in 2017. Period!
Then what do you call this statement from the airport's web site?

"However, the Airports Authority still audits, investigates and enforces the Nighttime Noise Rule to ensure aircraft are in compliance. Non-compliant aircraft may be fined up to $5,000 per violation by the Airports Authority."
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by LarryJ

"However, the Airports Authority still audits, investigates and enforces the Nighttime Noise Rule to ensure aircraft are in compliance. Non-compliant aircraft may be fined up to $5,000 per violation by the Airports Authority."
Perhaps that's simply in relation to the precise following of noise reduction procedures afterhours (one of the primary reasons the River Visual 19 exists and is so heavily used when weather conditions permit).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star

It's so a 727 charter can't take off at 1am. Sorry, I was missing one word from what you quoted...let me fix that:

There are no scheduled operational nighttime restrictions at DCA in 2017. Period!

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Perhaps that's simply in relation to the precise following of noise reduction procedures afterhours (one of the primary reasons the River Visual 19 exists and is so heavily used when weather conditions permit).

-FlyerBeek
That is a good point also. DCA does have noise abatement procedures and under VMC and there are surely penalties for violations.

Last edited by flyer703; Jul 3, 2017 at 6:16 pm
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's so a 727 charter can't take off at 1am. Sorry, I was missing one word from what you quoted...let me fix that:

There are no scheduled operational nighttime restrictions at DCA in 2017. Period!
I was told that they can't land a full 738 after 10pm due to the noise restrictions/curfew. They DB'ed twelve people to lighten the plane - UA could just be wrong but I'm skeptical that the noise rule has *no* impact on operations.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:44 am

It's so a 727 charter can't take off at 1am. Sorry, I was missing one word from what you quoted...
It also applies to the following UAL aircraft; 737-900, 737-800, A319, A320, 757-200, and 757-300.

The 737-900 can not operate during the restricted hours. The other listed types are restricted only when over specified weights.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by HomerJay
I moved into an apartment in Crystal City - less than a mile from the north end of the runway - and recall the parade of takeoffs beginning at 7am every morning.
I used to live in an apartment complex at the first traffic light on the GW parkway south of DCA. Woke at 7:00:00 every morning. I told people I had a Pratt & Whitney alarm clock.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that 7am parade has been moved to 6am. evening launches have been moved to 12pm, but continue till 1 am.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The 737-900 can not operate during the restricted hours. The other listed types are restricted only when over specified weights.
They can get a 739 off that runway? How many pax can it carry? (I've never seen a UA 739 at DCA.)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by findark
They can get a 739 off that runway?
ATA used to operate 753s in and out of there, and a DC-10 was landed there in the past.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by findark
They can get a 739 off that runway? How many pax can it carry? (I've never seen a UA 739 at DCA.)
The runway is 7,170' at DCA. UAL and DAL both operate the 739 out of LGA which has runways of 7,001' and 7,003'.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
The runway is 7,170' at DCA. UAL and DAL both operate the 739 out of LGA which has runways of 7,001' and 7,003'.
under regular conditions, currently the largest plane accepted at DCA is a 75x.

Under special conditions other planes are sometimes authorized; I think it was last year a 787 landed (but maybe it was 2015) but that was empty. The special conditions being that planes are as empty as possible, at least when they attempt to leave DCA....

In the distant past I believe a DC10 made an emergency landing and somewhere I have seen a photo of SAM 26000 on the runway.

Last edited by Section 107; Jul 5, 2017 at 10:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.