Transfer from IAD (Intl) to DCA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer from IAD (Intl) to DCA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2023, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there a luxury car service that specializes in these rides?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:35 am

This is a total opportunity for Metro. Clear immigration and customs quickly using GE and getting bags quickly-ish (Business class). Take Silver Line from IAD to Rosslyn, change to Blue Line in Rosslyn (in the direction of Franconia Springfield) and just a few stops to DCA. Even if you took two hours at IAD to get out of immigration and customs, you'd still have from 5:35 pm until 7:35 pm to get between IAD and DCA on Metro - which is enough time.

And, yes, you'd have to re-claim luggage at IAD and bring it with you to re-check at DCA. At DCA there's pre-check for GE folks.

I would totally do this. Indeed, pre-Metro, I've done it under more dire circumstances (bad wx, rush hour) with far less time in cabs (Washington Flyer) and thought "gee, Metro would make this so much easier..." (Admittedly, from a Metro rider, that's a hillario statement, but ppl will get the point).
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Using the WMATA trip planner, it takes just over an hour to travel from the IAD metro station to the DCA metro station (including the change). Adding walking time to/from the terminals, it's about 80 minutes terminal-to-terminal. Trains leave every 15 minutes.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
It depends on the luck you have….

10 min walk from baggage to metro station at dulles, enter with ticket, up to platform

0-20 min wait for next train

45 min to Roslyn. At am/ pm rush hr you can have a 5-10 min delay due to load/unload and more trains on track)

0-20 min wait for blue line to Roslyn. You go from upstairs to down stairs to get to DCA. Bottom is out of dc direction.

10-15 min ride to DCA.
American check will be the back of the train direction. Delta/ United to the front. A
Alaska, jet blue inn-the middle. Southwest and frontier in terminal 1..an additional 7 min walk.

at this time yellow line is not operating so there is a double load of blue line routes. One is normal blue line of largo- Franconia. Yellow line substitute is vblue line from Huntington to new Carrollton

ehrn yellow line is running……you could stay on silver line to lenfant thrn upstairs to yellow line to Huntington thrn take thst to DCA. It can be longer but it coukd be about the same if you just missed connection from blue.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is there a luxury car service that specializes in these rides?
Yes, and that (or Uber) is definitely the option I would use. My company used to use Boston Coach (https://bostoncorporatecoach.com/reservations/) but I'm sure you can find others. I'd expect ~$150 for a car service or $50-75 for Uber depending on time of day. Either way should be stress-free.
As others have said, Metro is an option but why do it? You're going to be coming off a long international flight, picking up bags, clearing CBP, etc. = TIRED. Then checking in at DCA and going thru TSA. I'd make the transfer as simple and quick as possible. Perhaps you can even catch a nap on the way
Old May 12, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Depends on how much money OP wants to spend.
Old May 17, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by flyer703
Yes, and that (or Uber) is definitely the option I would use. My company used to use Boston Coach (https://bostoncorporatecoach.com/reservations/) but I'm sure you can find others. I'd expect ~$150 for a car service or $50-75 for Uber depending on time of day. Either way should be stress-free.
As others have said, Metro is an option but why do it? You're going to be coming off a long international flight, picking up bags, clearing CBP, etc. = TIRED. Then checking in at DCA and going thru TSA. I'd make the transfer as simple and quick as possible. Perhaps you can even catch a nap on the way
IADs taxi service, Washington Flyer, is about $68 IAD to DCA flydulles.com - Estimated Taxi Fares
Old May 17, 2023, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Section 107
IADs taxi service, Washington Flyer, is about $68 IAD to DCA flydulles.com - Estimated Taxi Fares
its higher.

I live just south of the airport near Braddock station. I’ve done late night taxis home a few times where you don’t have the inside beltway traffic.
Old May 19, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Everyone was mentioning I-66, but wouldn't you just take the Dulles toll road to 123 to the GW parkway? That is the way cabs always took me, much less time.

But now that the Metro station is open at IAD that is the way to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.