Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BWI To Washington, D.C.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

BWI To Washington, D.C.

I'll be flying into BWI and staying at the Madison Loews hotel in the heart of DC. Google maps says b30 bus to metro. human FT's you guys have other suggestions?
Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
BWI To Washington, D.C.

You can also take a Marc or Amtrak train to Union Station and take the metro or cab to your final destination. But I've taken the bus then metro combination too.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You could also take the train from BWI to New Carrollton and get on the Orange Line (Metro) to MacPherson Square. The hotel is just a few blocks north.

With a lot of luggage I would take the train to Union Station and cab to the Madison though.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by fsufan6000

With a lot of luggage I would take the train to Union Station and cab to the Madison though.
This is the best option. There is a free and frequent shuttle from BWI to the train station.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
While I see several answers already, we have a dedicated Washington (including Baltimore) forum, so I am moving the thread from Budget Travel.

~moderator
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
You didn't say what day of the week you'd be arriving. If it's on a weekend, MARC runs much less often (though at least it runs, which wasn't the case until last year or so) and you can be stuck waiting on a more expensive Amtrak train. Speaking from personal experience, the BWI rail station is not where you want to spend much time.

But the B30 bus is no prize either, since it takes a long time to get to the Greenbelt station--you will probably feel like you've gotten hopelessly lost as the bus rolls through the wilds of the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center--and the ride downtown from there isn't fast either. Especially on weekends, when Metro rebuilding can impose 24-minute headways on any given line.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
Also, late arrivals to BWI come in after the last MARC to DC. There will still be Amtrak options, but you should avoid the Acela, which is ridiculously expensive for a trip that's a few minutes faster than the NE Regional.

The train station is a short (free) shuttle bus trip from the arrival terminal. I'd second the recommendation for a taxi from Union Station to the hotel.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, I arrive Tuesday morning so the Marc train to the orange line it is!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
You could either take the MARC train to New Carrollton and transfer to the Orange line or take the MARC to Union Station DC and then take the Red Line.

Personally, the way that Metro has been such a $hitshow recently, I'd much rather minimize my time on Metro and take the train to Union Station.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.