Search

DC restaurant recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:18 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
DC restaurant recommendation

Fellow DCers, any recommendation for good restaurants in the dc area that serves small plates? I'd like to go somewhere that I can pay not-a-fortune for lots of small bites or a 5+ course prix fixe menu. Preferred cuisines are American, Korean, Japanese (non sushi), and other exotic things.

Inputs are much appreciated!

Last edited by TOMFORD; Dec 13, 2013 at 5:37 am
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:23 am

where you are and how far you're willing to travel (taxi, driving, or metro) are big variables in your request.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:47 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Staying at the Crowne Plaza in Rockville MD, taking the train to DC. Willing to go anywhere that is not to far from the train stops.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

find the don rockwell and tyler cowen blogs. they recommend about a thousand relatively inexpensive places. most serve non american food.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Sometimes, it seems like every restaurant in town does small plates. Many of the ones mentioned in that article, though, are more modern and pricey; the recommendations on Don Rockwell will usually be more traditional "ethnic dining," more inexpensive but larger portions.

Off the top of my head, go to Chinatown for Japanese small plates at Daikaya in Chinatown, while for northern-Chinese small plates you're best off sticking to A&J in Rockville. There are small plates for every possible taste, including at least two Presidential-themed American small plates restaurants (Lincoln and Teddy).

Last edited by paytonc; Dec 1, 2013 at 12:42 pm
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Just go to Gallery Place/Chinatown metro as already suggested, that gets you access to Daikaya as well as several excellent options from Jose Andres - Jaleo (Spanish) and Oyamel (Mexican) are his best restaurants in my opinion.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by gailwynand
Just go to Gallery Place/Chinatown metro as already suggested, that gets you access to Daikaya as well as several excellent options from Jose Andres - Jaleo (Spanish) and Oyamel (Mexican) are his best restaurants in my opinion.
Meh. Jose's places have gone downhill over the years, IMHO. Jaleo, for instance, is a fay cry from what it once was. I advocate finding a way to Fishers Farmers Bakers or any of Chef Geoff's places, which would allow you to stay in Rockville or Chevy Chase. Or you can check out one of his places in D.C., if you really want to make that trek.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:08 pm

Neither Chef Geoff's nor Founding Farmers have small plates, nor could they be called exotic.

One could, however, do a progressive dinner of small plates at a half-dozen Jose Andres places around Chinatown, and/or throw in some other small plates venues in the neighborhood like Rasika and Zengo.

Come to think of it, The Source's take on dim sum (on Saturdays) has one of the more exotic menus in town, and everything's served in tiny tastes.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:41 pm

As a long term DC resident, real DC, not the burbs, I think the restaurant choices are over-priced, way too trendy with too little focus on good food. With rare exceptions, we do our more interesting dining out of town. For example, Eden Plaza for Vietnamese, Annandale for Korean and Rockville/Gaithersburg for Chinese.

DC? Coming out of the "better" restaurants, too often I feel more robbed than fed. Most places are for the tourists, expense account crowd or millenials (big cocktail menu).
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Meh. Jose's places have gone downhill over the years, IMHO. Jaleo, for instance, is a fay cry from what it once was.
Agreed, they are not as good as they used to be, but Jaleo has gotten better lately and Oyamel is still great. All the Mexicans I know in DC swear by Oyamel, if that's any indication of quality.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Taro sushi on 17 and P transformed into a kaiseki type restaurant in 2009 or 10. I went there just after the change and thought it was pretty good. It is expensive by US standards. I would probably not like it today after spending some time in Japan.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by paytonc
Neither Chef Geoff's nor Founding Farmers have small plates, nor could they be called exotic.

One could, however, do a progressive dinner of small plates at a half-dozen Jose Andres places around Chinatown, and/or throw in some other small plates venues in the neighborhood like Rasika and Zengo.

Come to think of it, The Source's take on dim sum (on Saturdays) has one of the more exotic menus in town, and everything's served in tiny tastes.
Flat-out wrong. Ask them.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aladdin, 5169 Lee Highway, Garden City Shopping Center, Arlington, VA, 703-533-0077

An awesome Bangladeshi restaurant. Get the shrimp curry in coconut milk, the biryanis (lamb, or goat on Saturdays if you call ahead), the channa, and the fish curry, among other dishes. The halim appetizer is spectacular and indeed they all are. This place is a knockout and our dining companions loved it too. A must try.

from tyler cowen blog.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:39 pm

OK, I hardly meant to provoke a shouting match over definitions.

Before I posted, I did indeed double-check the menus for Founding Farmers and Chef Geoff's, both online for all to peruse. Yes, Farmers' menu offers some "small plates" ("a nice little bite to start your meal") and Geoff's has some "snacks," but upon closer inspection these are conventional appetizers: pickles, cornbread, sliders, popcorn, chips. When I think of "small plates" restaurants, I'd expect a selection more akin to the 50+ on offer at Oyamel or Zaytinya.

Last edited by paytonc; Dec 10, 2013 at 9:01 pm
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:17 pm

I agree with the above, go to Rasika and get a tasting or prix frie menu. Every time I try to get a nice dinner at a new place downtown, I say to myself "why oh why didn't I just go to Rasika?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.