New Transit Option from BWI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Transit Option from BWI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: United MP
I live near the western end of it. I have seen three prices on the electronic signs.

Peak - $1.45
Of-peak - $1.15
Late night - $0.60

I have used it three times before the tolls started being collected. It's a very nice road. Still, few people seem willing to pay the toll. The road is practically empty. The eastern part opens next year with higher tolls. That's when we'll see if people will use it. I will only use it if forced to.

The new bus route is nice though. I'm going to have to try it.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA,AA,CO,WN,DL,HH
Good luck trying to take the Route 201 from Shady Grove to BWI! There are no markings in the Shady Grove Metro station directing you to the proper side of the station to catch the 201 (Tip: head right as you exit to the East bus loop). And once you arrive at the bus loop, there are no markings on the bus bays to identify the right one for the 201 (Tip: head all the way down the row to the very last bay).

And don't be surprised if the driver blitzes through the bus loop without stopping. Although the bus is scheduled to depart/arrive Shady Grove at eight minutes past the hour, in the two weeks since the service began, I've witnessed the bus arriving at five past the hour three times and pulling through without stopping. Would it kill the driver's schedule to wait until the published departure time, or to look for passengers with suitcases who might be waiting at the wrong bus shelter because the shelters are not yet marked?

The Route 201 uses the ICC until it terminates at Georgia Avenue (Route 97). Then the bus switches to Norbeck Road and then Burtonsville Road (Rtes 28 and 198, respectively), before heading north on Columbia Pike (Rte 29) and then west on Route 32 to I-95, arriving at BWI's Southwest Terminal one hour after leaving Shady Grove Station. Bring $5 cash, as the buses are not MTA-owned (they're operated under contract by Atlantic Coast Charters) so they're not equipped to take Metro's SmartTrip cards. And print off the 201's schedules before you leave home because you won't find any at the Shady Grove station.

If you don't mind those frustrations, it's cheaper than driving and parking!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.