The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I would bet 55-60 minutes. Its 46 from Wiehle.
That's a good estimate.

The final EIS shows a travel time of 43 minutes from Rosslyn to the airport; 60 minutes from Metro Center to the Route 606 station (now Loudoun Gateway - one stop past the airport).
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I would bet 55-60 minutes. Its 46 from Wiehle.
I'd say that's pretty close. I live near Courthouse and work at L'Enfant plaza. It's about 15 minutes on the metro for me.

I feel like an hour isn't really that bad considering. I drove from my apartment to Ashburn during the middle of the morning (with very little traffic) and it took me a solid 45+ minutes. I have a feeling driving to Dulles at rush hour would be twice as long of more. I'd MUCH rather ride a train for an hour that sit in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour. FWIW I lived in downtown Chicago for a while and the blue line to ORD was about 30-45 minutes.

While I'm at it... How long does the current Train/Bus combo take to get to IAD?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
While I'm at it... How long does the current Train/Bus combo take to get to IAD?
The best I've done is 52 minutes from my house to IAD, counting a 10-minute walk to the Clarendon Metro, the 27-ish minute ride from there to the Wiehle-Reston East station, and then booking it from the train to the Silver Line Express bus and its 10-minute ride to Dulles. An hour is more typical. In your case, add two minutes for Metro travel time to Clarendon and adjust walk-to-Metro time as needed.

That bus runs every 20 minutes except for 6-9 a.m. and 3-7 p.m. weekdays, so most of the time you want to get on a train that will arrive at Wiehle at 15, 35, or 55 minutes after the hour. The MetroHero app is essential for that, since it pulls train position, speed and ETA data from WMATA's proprietary API; you can check that from home, then leave so you only wait a minute in the station and then can walk at a normal pace from Wiehle over to the bus platform, on the lowest level of the parking structure there.

Having the Silver Line open all the way to IAD will eliminate that transfer uncertainty, not to mention the $5 Silver Line Express fare that you can't put on a Metro SmarTrip card. The final environmental-impact statement estimates travel time from Rosslyn to IAD at 43 minutes, while today Rosslyn to Wiehle is a 32-minute ride, so add 11 minutes to your current ride to Wiehle.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DCA writer
The best I've done is 52 minutes from my house to IAD, counting a 10-minute walk to the Clarendon Metro, the 27-ish minute ride from there to the Wiehle-Reston East station, and then booking it from the train to the Silver Line Express bus and its 10-minute ride to Dulles. An hour is more typical. In your case, add two minutes for Metro travel time to Clarendon and adjust walk-to-Metro time as needed.

That bus runs every 20 minutes except for 6-9 a.m. and 3-7 p.m. weekdays, so most of the time you want to get on a train that will arrive at Wiehle at 15, 35, or 55 minutes after the hour. The MetroHero app is essential for that, since it pulls train position, speed and ETA data from WMATA's proprietary API; you can check that from home, then leave so you only wait a minute in the station and then can walk at a normal pace from Wiehle over to the bus platform, on the lowest level of the parking structure there.

Having the Silver Line open all the way to IAD will eliminate that transfer uncertainty, not to mention the $5 Silver Line Express fare that you can't put on a Metro SmarTrip card. The final environmental-impact statement estimates travel time from Rosslyn to IAD at 43 minutes, while today Rosslyn to Wiehle is a 32-minute ride, so add 11 minutes to your current ride to Wiehle.
Thanks a ton! Great post! I'm hoping I can do most of my travel out of DCA... but I'm sure I'll have to go in and out of IAD periodically for one reason or another. Also... Thanks for the heads up on the MetroHero app!!!
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by dhuey
Any estimates on how long it will take to go from Dulles to L'Enfant Plaza once this is complete?
my guess...about an hr with no random train stops. What I don’t know is how close metro will be to baggage claim area.

i currently live in Alexandria and have gone to Dulles. The bus is 15 min. Metro likely 20 to Reston.

Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by dhuey
Yeah, I get it. Your Metro is very similar to our Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART). It's something of a hybrid of an urban subway system and regional train lines. Not designed to include express trains.
its just about identical..same design company. The difference is in the modernization of systems.

BART has gone out farther into the suburbs. DC metro has more commuter trains from farther out areas.

on VA side you have commuter trains from Fredericksburg and manassas. Fredericksburg is same distance as San Jose. On Maryland..there are 2 train lines parallel 95 to Baltimore. And another thst run from martinsburg, WV to Frederick to DC and this has 2 different routes. Martinsburg is about the same as Sacramento in distance

in the future another line is going to open that is the first suburb to suburb line in Maryland outside the beltway.

the area seemed to not do a good job of long term planning. Had theyfrom the start they could have built lines to reach 10 miles outside the beltway. Now it’s very cost prohibitive to do this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:28 am

Not so good news In the Washington Post yesterday - is this turning into a Silver Springs?
In management alerts issued Friday, Metro Inspector General Geoffrey A. Cherrington said a sealant being applied to prevent water from seeping into hundreds of defective concrete panels may not be working. A sampling of sealant already in place found it was not working in all cases, leaving some panels vulnerable to cracking. Unless the panels are replaced or the contractor comes up with another solution, Metro should not accept the work, he advised.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...003_story.html
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:54 am

"djp98374"
its just about identical..same design company. The difference is in the modernization of systems.

The two systems are far from identical. Track gauge different, car length different, maximum train length different, signaling and train control different, third rail voltage different, performance profiles different.

Yes a number of contractors from engineering to construction to rolling stock worked on both but the basic specifications they designed and built to were different.

in the future another line is going to open that is the first suburb to suburb line in Maryland outside the beltway.

Light rail; design, build, operate franchise contract with the Maryland Transit Administration. Not part of Metrorail.

Last edited by SandBoxJohn; Sep 16, 2019 at 1:15 pm
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Metro to IAD by September 2020, perhaps

The Post, WTOP and WAMU all have WMATA saying Phase 2 of the Silver Line to IAD and beyond can open in September 2020, while the latter two report MWAA says it will reach substantial completion in April, allowing for a July opening. The major variable left is whether Metro will accept Phase 2 contractor Capital Rail Constructors' proposed long-term maintenance remedy for the flawed precast concrete panels at some of the stations--reapplying a protective sealant every five to seven years--or insist on having them replaced. Metro is awaiting a report from its inspector general about that.

(Background reading: presentations from MWAA and Capital Rail Constructors from the airport authority's Nov. 20 board meeting, plus one from WMATA from its Nov. 21 board meeting.)

What I don't know is how long that replacement might take. I feel dirty playing armchair civil engineer, but if WMATA could rebuild entire platforms on the Blue/Yellow line this summer in three months and change, why not get this over with now, when there's no service to disrupt? But the better question might be, why didn't MWAA insist on having those panels replaced when they started discovering this problem two years ago?
DeafFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:17 pm

Wiehle tie-in: How the Silver Line got held up . . .
Max Smith
WTOP 103.5 FM
03 23 2020 15:50 EDT

. . . Or how bean counter got in the way of engineers trying to do their jobs.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:33 am

One small bit of good news coming out of this accursed pandemic: MWAA and WMATA seem to agree on a way to speed up the opening of the Silver Line Phase 2. WTOP's Max Smith tuned into yesterday's MWAA board meeting and noted that the two agencies not only have resolved their differences over out-of-compliance switches but are ready to expedite testing of the ATC software on the extension by taking advantage of near-zero ridership and shutting down the Wiehle-Reston East station for continuous testing. From Smith's post:
Metro, which will run the extension, and the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, which is responsible for building it, now have documentation in hand and plan to have joint meetings next week to resolve any remaining issues so that testing can move forward, Airports Authority Vice President Charles Stark said Wednesday.

“The best part of that situation is that due to the extreme lack of ridership at Wiehle Ave., the ridership is down to approximately 350 people a day. WMATA is favorably looking at doing a complete shutdown for two to three weeks instead of 15 to 16 weekend shutdowns. This will really increase the efficiency of the testing and get it done much earlier in the project,” Stark said.
The concrete panels didn't come up during the meeting (I watched it online too, because I have no life), so I don't know where MWAA and WMATA stand on those.

If any of you all will be at IAD anytime soon, the next thing to watch in terms of Silver Line progress should be the installation of giant glass screens on the Saarinen Circle side of the Metro station.

For further reading:
DeafFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
The guys at the Mobile Lounge shop do an impressive job maintaining these people-movers - they have to fabricate almost every single thing on the vehicles - that they personify that expression of "...we are now qualified to do anything with nothing..."
DCA writer likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:52 am

July 1, 2020
Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project

Glass Installation to Begin on Windscreen at Dulles Airport

It won't be long before 95,000 pounds of glass will be erected along the south side of the new Metrorail station facing the terminal at Washington Dulles International Airport.

All of the 162 glass panels needed for the project have arrived at the airport and will be assembled to create a 300-foot wide, 30-foot tall windscreen for the new station, creating a façade that will resemble the iconic architecture of the Eero Saarinen-designed airport terminal.

Final welding of the structural steel support framing is nearing completion, according to Stephen Barna, manager of the windscreen project in his role with the Airports Authority's Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project's Phase 2 of the Silver Line.

This week crews began putting a three-coat gray epoxy finish on the structure supporting the windscreen. The paint color, of course, is Dulles gray, the traditional color used at Dulles Airport.

Preparation for installation of the glass included the construction of 10 steel support columns and 63 intermediate purlins during the past 4 months.

Phase 2 project director Charles Stark said installation of the Dulles Station glass windscreen panels marks a major milestone for Phase 2 work.

Construction is being done by W.M. Schlosser Company of Maryland.

Erection of the glass will not require any new lane closures at the airport. All work can be done behind the jersey barriers that have been in place during construction of the steel support structure.

Completion of the windscreen is expected in September.

Preparing for the Glass Windscreen
The first of three coats of paint is being applied to the bus lane side of the Dulles Airport Metrorail Station in preparation for the installation of several glass panels that will create a large windscreen that will mimic the architecture of the Washington Dulles International Airport terminal.
Photo courtesy of Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project

Almost Done!
Crews are performing the final welding of connections for the structure that will support the glass windscreen; panels for the windscreen are set for installation later this summer.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SandBoxJohn
July 1, 2020
Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project

Glass Installation to Begin on Windscreen at Dulles Airport

It won't be long before 95,000 pounds of glass will be erected along the south side of the new Metrorail station facing the terminal at Washington Dulles International Airport.

All of the 162 glass panels needed for the project have arrived at the airport and will be assembled to create a 300-foot wide, 30-foot tall windscreen for the new station, creating a façade that will resemble the iconic architecture of the Eero Saarinen-designed airport terminal.

Final welding of the structural steel support framing is nearing completion, according to Stephen Barna, manager of the windscreen project in his role with the Airports Authority's Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project's Phase 2 of the Silver Line.

This week crews began putting a three-coat gray epoxy finish on the structure supporting the windscreen. The paint color, of course, is Dulles gray, the traditional color used at Dulles Airport.

Preparation for installation of the glass included the construction of 10 steel support columns and 63 intermediate purlins during the past 4 months.

Phase 2 project director Charles Stark said installation of the Dulles Station glass windscreen panels marks a major milestone for Phase 2 work.

Construction is being done by W.M. Schlosser Company of Maryland.

Erection of the glass will not require any new lane closures at the airport. All work can be done behind the jersey barriers that have been in place during construction of the steel support structure.

Preparing for the Glass Windscreen
The first of three coats of paint is being applied to the bus lane side of the Dulles Airport Metrorail Station in preparation for the installation of several glass panels that will create a large windscreen that will mimic the architecture of the Washington Dulles International Airport terminal.

Almost Done!
Crews are performing the final welding of connections for the structure that will support the glass windscreen; panels for the windscreen are set for installation later this summer.
Hate to ask but who's responsible for cleaning both sides of those 300 feet of glass once the station is open and how often?

David
Old Jul 9, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by SandBoxJohn
September of what year? 😁

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.