Wiki Posts
Search

Los Cabos, Cozumel or Puerto Vallarta?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Los Cabos, Cozumel or Puerto Vallarta?

So I am going to MR this weekend to one of these destinations. Unfortunately they are all 10 cpm fares. But we need them to complete the Plat challenge. Since our departure airports are ATL, BHM or HSV, last minute fares are just not that great.

Any suggestions or information about hotels, car rentals, sites or security would be appreciated. I am sure some of you have done these cities already.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Consider Puerto Vallarta. cheap hotels and try carrentals.com
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
I agree with Deltahater. I just came back from Puerto Vallarta... great time, very customer-service oriented city, fairly cheap, and so beautiful.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:26 am

Location: Weekdays: LAX; Weekends (when not in a metal tube): LPC
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
PV all the way.

Coz is great IF your a diver and IF you dive with the right operator. Otherwise it's a cruise ship destination and has lost its charm.

Cabo San Lucas is, frankly, a bit down trodden. San Juan de Cabos is much nicer and very upscale. But I prefer to be in an actual town rather than a resort area.

In PV I'd avoid the Neuvo Vallarta area and head as far south as possible. South of town but within easy walking distance there are some nice places.

Stay out of the wrong places, get a remarkably lucky break with the weather and Mexico City can be a very nice place...

Buen Viaje,

Jim
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: AA
fly to PV, drive north to Punta Mita
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXP
Cabo and stay at Westin or Sheraton.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:53 am

PVR.

There is a nice selection of hotels which are a quick and inexpensive cab ride form the airport. Look in Marina Vallarta or Vallarta Nayarit.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum
the place i love is mazatlan. Feels like OLD MEXiCO. Check out the el cid resort!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
was just in PVR last month - stayed at the Westin - easy 80 peso cab into the city but the marina district seemed so much nicer than downtown. hotel was empty - lots of deals in the spa and in the restaurants
Old Apr 21, 2009, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by jkearns
San Juan de Cabos
That should be 'San Jose del Cabo'.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by phish1209
Cabo and stay at Westin or Sheraton.
I would agree - those are two of the nicest hotels on the Corridor, and they are both currently giving deals due to lots of vacancies. All things being equal, I prefer the Sheraton, as it is just a gorgeous property, and more practically designed than the Westin. You might try to bid for a resort on the corridor on Priceline at around 60-65% of the lowest published prices for these places on your proposed dates. Since these properties are not all-inclusives, they are the ones most likely to come up.

San Jose del Cabo is a much nicer town to spend time in than Cabo San Lucas, but Cabo San Lucas is better if you are looking for drunken debauchery (but not much else).
Old May 25, 2009, 12:53 pm

Puerto Vallarta without a doubt.. Cozumel is nice but PV has the best vibe in Mex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.