Search

Dining in Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Dining in Mexico City

I will be travelling to Mexico City in a few weeks and noticed this on the Wikitravel guide:

"There are Mexican chain restaurants that can be assumed to be safe and similar no matter where you are, including Vips, Toks, and the more traditional Sanborns, all reminiscent of Denny's in the United States. You can expect to pay between $100 to $150 per person."

Is this accurate? Does it cost $150 for a cheap dinner in MEX?

http://wikitravel.org/en/Mexico_City
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:10 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Jan 26, 2009 at 1:51 pm Reason: Read my post.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
That is almost certainly the amount in Pesos.

I eat just fine in Mexico City and I've never had a meal cost more than $25 USD.
Thanks. I was worried for a moment...
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I will be travelling to Mexico City in a few weeks and noticed this on the Wikitravel guide:

"There are Mexican chain restaurants that can be assumed to be safe and similar no matter where you are, including Vips, Toks, and the more traditional Sanborns, all reminiscent of Denny's in the United States. You can expect to pay between $100 to $150 per person."

Is this accurate? Does it cost $150 for a cheap dinner in MEX?

http://wikitravel.org/en/Mexico_City
The $ symbol is used for pesos as well as dollars, so yes, that meal would be 100 to 150 pesos, but that's in the range of $8-12 USD (haven't checked the latest exchange rates).
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillTravel
The $ symbol is used for pesos as well as dollars, so yes, that meal would be 100 to 150 pesos, but that's in the range of $8-12 USD (haven't checked the latest exchange rates).
Now you see how uncultured I am?

That makes sense.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:08 am

Wikipedia will also tell you that the '$' sign is the original peso sign, that at a point in history was adopted for the dollar as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/$

Last edited by Bob'sYourUncle; Jan 28, 2009 at 8:13 am
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
Those places are, in general though, bland and boring compared to the great food you can get elsewhere in that fine city for dining. There's one Sanborn's that's in a historic building near the Bellas del Artes and it's worth going there for the atmosphere. Otherwise, give them a pass.

For what it's worth, I just ate for 10 days in Mexico City, from street stall tacos to fine dining in Polanco, and never got even the slightest bit of the runs. I used purified water all the time though, including to brush my teeth.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:53 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Apr 13, 2009 at 11:57 am
Old Feb 5, 2009, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by globetrots
For what it's worth, I just ate for 10 days in Mexico City, from street stall tacos to fine dining in Polanco, and never got even the slightest bit of the runs. I used purified water all the time though, including to brush my teeth.
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Ironic, given your username, no?
LOL.

I look forward to street food in Mexico City. Yum. I recently returned from India where I ate street food--and water --and also avoided the runs...
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
LOL.

I look forward to street food in Mexico City. Yum. I recently returned from India where I ate street food--and water --and also avoided the runs...
If you're in the mood for a sit-down establishment, I highly recommend El Cardenal. It's really really good. A friend and I had an enormous and tasty lunch at the Sheraton Centro Historico location for $40USD.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:24 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 90minfromJFK-CDG
If you're in the mood for a sit-down establishment, I highly recommend El Cardenal. It's really really good.
talked about in this thread which covers a few other suggestions: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexic...xico-city.html

--
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:44 am

Recent article in the WSJ about dining in Mexico City:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1232...cle-outset-box

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.